Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Soundgarden

Started by Jacob, May 06, 2007, 03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenOndaNissen

Its streaming on NME. I actually liked the album. It's not their best but its better than i thought! Cornell's got a great voice still

Spike

It's good. I expected most songs to be like "Been Away Too Long", but that's luckily the only one like that on there.
Oh and here's the link to the stream DenOndaNissen mentioned: http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=1&title=soundgarden_king_animal_album_stream

Jacob

I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised. it's not as stale as I was afraid of.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

bewareofrats

I don't know if it's fair to give my opinion since I first listened to this outside going for a walk (noises and stuff that can be distractions) but the album overall kind of bored me.  It got my interest pretty good around song 2 and 3 but I started losing interest after that.  The songs kind of blended together for me.  I definitely need to listen to it again without distractions though.

I can't see this being as good as any of their other main albums.  There just aren't any memorable songs like Burden In My Hand, Blow Up the Outside World, Black Hole Sun, etc.  Some of their singles are some of the best songs on the album.  Not anymore.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Jacob

yeah, do that. it'll likely grow on you. it's a lot more diverse than I thought it would be. but I will agree that there are no instant classics on this one.

x Rx King x

I've listened to it 5 times today. It's like a darker, more ambient Down On The Upside. I LOVE it!!!

Slacker

i bit midtempo oriented (just as i felt with diamond eyes) but still, pretty good. i too thought this would be kinda stale, but it is nothing like that. im digging it, this is an instant top 10 of the year for me. great work soundgarden.

Jacob

the first song, Been Away Too Long, is easily the weakest song on the album. why the hell did they release that one first? at first I thought it was ok but just really boring, but compared to the rest of the album it's pretty much a shit song. the main riff annoys the crap out of me.

Robotsatemygrandma

Quote from: Slacker on Nov 07, 2012, 02:51 PM
i bit midtempo oriented (just as i felt with diamond eyes) but still, pretty good. i too thought this would be kinda stale, but it is nothing like that. im digging it, this is an instant top 10 of the year for me. great work soundgarden.

I was really worried this was going to suck and be a bad "reintroduction album" ever since the band announced they were back together. Not the case here. It seems like they picked up where they left off and made a damn good album.... easily one of my favorites for the year as well. Bones of Birds is slamming.

Spike

Funny thing - everyone dislikes the first track. Ive not seen a single person who likes it. Why the hell did they put it out?

Jacob

Quote from: Spike on Nov 07, 2012, 10:57 PM
Funny thing - everyone dislikes the first track. Ive not seen a single person who likes it. Why the hell did they put it out?

probably because it's the only really catchy song and they wanted a strong lead single.

I actually love that this album doesn't have any instant classics and hit songs. something about it makes me think more of older Soundgarden. I still miss the heaviness and groove, but oh well. I'm just so fucking happy they had the guts to do such an intricate and experimental album in this day and age.

x Rx King x

Bones of Birds and Attrition, even Rowing, display how much musical ability Soundgarden still has.

Jacob

really digging this album at the moment, just as much as the new Deftones even.

Jacob

I've honestly come to skip the first song. the second is actually a great opener in itself. they should've just skipped that first atrocity.

only pieces remain

Quote from: Jacob on Nov 07, 2012, 04:06 PM
the first song, Been Away Too Long, is easily the weakest song on the album. why the hell did they release that one first? at first I thought it was ok but just really boring, but compared to the rest of the album it's pretty much a shit song. the main riff annoys the crap out of me.

fucking this! that main riff reminds me of nickelback and I fucking hate it.

But the rest of the album especially blood on the valley floor, bones of birds, taree and eyelids mouth are fucking killer and vintage sg to me. I should include a thousand days before in there too. Been Away too long and halfway should have been left off the album, in my opinion.

Slacker

Quote from: Jacob on Nov 09, 2012, 02:50 AM
I've honestly come to skip the first song. the second is actually a great opener in itself. they should've just skipped that first atrocity.

at list is not this shit

Robotsatemygrandma

Quote from: Slacker on Nov 09, 2012, 04:33 AM
Quote from: Jacob on Nov 09, 2012, 02:50 AM

at list is not this shit

The beat in this song sounds exactly like one of the beats on my lil 80's synth. lol

defsteve

Amazing at Shepherd's Bush Empire on Friday!
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

bewareofrats

Deftones cd is much better.  This album is pretty forgettable to me after a few listens.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Jacob

Quote from: bewareofrats on Nov 20, 2012, 04:25 AM
Deftones cd is much better.  This album is pretty forgettable to me after a few listens.

I'm starting to feel the other way around. a bit tired of KNY at the moment, while this one is still going strong.