Started by Fireal1222, Jul 13, 2007, 11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireal1222

i just picked up a case of sierra nevada

i love it. great stuff

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Variable

I was able to sneek a beer on base last night from out in town. Me and two of my friends.  My first beer in like a month and a half.  Just one.  But it was glorious.

theis

tonight:

heineken = drunkness

heeyyyyyy

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Hiney-kin is terrible.

tarkil

No it's OK...

I'd love to try your Arrogant Bastard Ale though, out of curiosity, man that looks so cool...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

tarkil

I know, I checked that website, but they only have this beer in the US...

Ghey   :-\

Fireal1222

Quote from: theis on Aug 31, 2007, 12:13 AM
tonight:

heineken = drunkness

heeyyyyyy

heineken is too acidic

dont get me wrong. ill drink it

but its an overpriced beer.

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Fireal1222

Quote from: You Fail Me on Aug 31, 2007, 09:22 AM
http://www.arrogantbastard.com/

guys. i didnt realize the arrogant bastard ale is brewed by the STONE brewing company

they have another beer thats even better than the arrogant bastard ale

its called. Stone IPA

an amazing IPA. with a FUCKLOAD of hops. and i believe the alcohol vol. is like 7.1

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Fireal1222

stone ipa might be my new favorite

newcastle is very easy to drink. so i would drink that with my friends when im chilling and trying to impress people

but stone ipa is definitely my personal choice right now. if you are in the states. do what you can to buy it. its really expensive about 37$ a case. but really worth it

its has  a gargoyle on the case. its a green and white box.

http://www.stonebrew.com/ipa/

same brewery that makes the arrogant bastard ale

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

maestro416

stone IPA is good but the stone ruination IPA is the best.  arrogant bastadard is good too and it comes in a few different styles particularly oak'd and the double bastard.  the stone russian imperial stout is nice when you want something darker.  personally i dig IPA's a lot especially the imperial IPA's round 10% abv. or so.  if you want something really nuts go for dogfish head 120 minute IPA - it's 20% alcohol!

other US based microbreweries id suggest are blue point (NY), ithaca brewing (NY), mcsorely's ale (NY), captain lawrence brewing (NY), dogfish head (DE), smutynose (NH), stoudts (PA), abita (NM) brooklyn brewery (NY) slyfoxx (PA) rogue (OR) and southern tier (NY) - none of these are gonna be cheap though if you can find them to begin with.  check their websites for places to find them, some you can only get from the brewery itself. 

i just went to brewfest 2007 at southstreet seaport in nyc last weekend and was lucky to try a bunch from these breweries id never tasted before.  lookin forward to brewtopia next month in nyc which should be sick too.   

samson simpson

Quote from: maestro416 on Sep 20, 2007, 06:20 AM
stone IPA is good but the stone ruination IPA is the best. 

yea man, respect.

BOTH have a shitlOAD of hops , so Fireal did know his shit.  but yes.....i got some "ruination" in the store the other night....i have some half ass indica buds at the moment but that beer and its hops def. kicked things up...i felt god after 12 .. a case is expensive but well worth.i love it all.

tarkil

stone IPA is good but the stone ruination IPA is the best.  arrogant bastadard is good too and it comes in a few different styles particularly oak'd and the double bastard.  the stone russian imperial stout is nice when you want something darker.  personally i dig IPA's a lot especially the imperial IPA's round 10% abv. or so.  if you want something really nuts go for dogfish head 120 minute IPA - it's 20% alcohol!

other US based microbreweries id suggest are blue point (NY), ithaca brewing (NY), mcsorely's ale (NY), captain lawrence brewing (NY), dogfish head (DE), smutynose (NH), stoudts (PA), abita (NM) brooklyn brewery (NY) slyfoxx (PA) rogue (OR) and southern tier (NY) - none of these are gonna be cheap though if you can find them to begin with.  check their websites for places to find them, some you can only get from the brewery itself. 

i just went to brewfest 2007 at southstreet seaport in nyc last weekend and was lucky to try a bunch from these breweries id never tasted before.  lookin forward to brewtopia next month in nyc which should be sick too.   

You seem to know your shit man... Good job !

maestro416

thanks man.  ive been gettin into the whole microbrew scene over the past 2 years and havent been able to go back to drinking generic beers since. 

its a fun learning experience, even though expensive at times, especially since a lot of the beers are so different from each other (and you get pretty drunk along the way...) the hard part is tryin to keep it as a hobby and not turn into a lush. 

if you live close enough to NYC or other areas where they hold microbrew festivals definitely check them out.  its a great way to open your eyes to the immense amount of beers and breweries out there you've probably never heard of before.  i find a new favorite every time i go to one.

Quote from: samson simpson on Sep 20, 2007, 06:31 AM
a case is expensive but well worth.i love it all.

damn kid - a case?? you must pay out the ass for that.  a 6er or ruination runs bout $20 at the distributer in my area.  a couple stop and shop's near me actually had 22's for $5 a piece (typically theyre $8-9 by me) and i bought the entire shelf they had. unfortunitly ive only got one left :( 

samson simpson

Quote from: maestro416 on Sep 20, 2007, 07:03 PM
a couple stop and shop's near me actually had 22's for $5 a piece (typically theyre $8-9 by me) and i bought the entire shelf they had. unfortunitly ive only got one left :( 
yea its expensive ,came out to almost 17 per 6er so yea i dropped about 70 bones,
but thats nothing when your

Cost Plus sells all the good brew, ima go get a case this weekend of Post Road Pumpkin Ale

tarkil

Quote from: maestro416 on Sep 20, 2007, 07:03 PM
thanks man.  ive been gettin into the whole microbrew scene over the past 2 years and havent been able to go back to drinking generic beers since. 

its a fun learning experience, even though expensive at times, especially since a lot of the beers are so different from each other (and you get pretty drunk along the way...) the hard part is tryin to keep it as a hobby and not turn into a lush. 

if you live close enough to NYC or other areas where they hold microbrew festivals definitely check them out.  its a great way to open your eyes to the immense amount of beers and breweries out there you've probably never heard of before.  i find a new favorite every time i go to one.

Well, I live in Hong Kong, so I guess it will be hard for me... I'm French though, so I was able to enjoy lots of Belgian and German beer before I came here, so it's OK...

Fireal1222

ive been recommended rogue and dogfishhead plenty of times by my friends... rogue dead guy. is supposed to be an incredibly brew. i have stomach acid problems though. so i like a good strong beer. but nothing that is heavy on my tummy

im gonna have to try that dogfishhead 20%

thanks for all those recommendations

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Dead Guy is alright.

Also, I prefer Arrogant Bastard over Stone IPA

Fireal1222

i just picked up rogue dead guy. great stuff. very easy to drink. and is powerful

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

ColeJ.

ok... you guys are my heros. i'm so glad i found this forum.

a lot of you really know what you're talking about. i appreciate good beer discussion, since everyone i know calls me a beer snob.

i make distinctions between boozin' beers and drinking beers... the greatest boozing beer is dos equis. dos equis amber is my favorite, but any dos equis will do. it's not expensive, it goes down easy, and it'll get you drunk without making you poor... not sure how easy it is to find outside of the mexico-bordering-states, though... it might just be a treat for us texas-and-west folks at mexican restaurants, but it's awesome.

but to comment on the beers you guys are talking about:
newcastle is the shit. it's one of my favorites. high on the list. i've gotten ripped on newcastle many times, at buffalo wild wings, watching dallas stars hockey with some friends.
killians is awesome, but i liked it a lot more when i started getting into beer, than i do now... it's still good, but it's not the savior i once thought it was. i've had a few other reds that i think have a deeper flavor, and now i can't help but compare killians to those.

my favorite "snob beers" are totally worth the price, if you like a good high-quality so-snobby-you're-a-nerd-for-drinking-it beer...
this category has stuff like kostritzer, which is a german black lager. if you can find it, buy it. it's like a liquid hershey bar, with a little bit of a bready undertone, and it's my all-time favorite. it's not difficult to find in my south dallas suburbs at all, but people from out of town seem to have never heard of it when i mention it to them. track some down. you'll enjoy it.

also, chimay makes some pretty kick ass beers, too... but they're expensive. if you can find some chimay blue for cheap, buy a case of it and just keep it in the fridge. it's one of the few beers that doesn't have a real "drink me buy" date. if you buy some sam adams, and keep in your fridge for a year, it'll taste like shit... chimay blue gets better with age, like a wine. it's godly, but expensive. basically, i bet cases of chimay blue for birthday presents, because people know how much i covet the shit, even though i'm too poor to drink it regularly.

but the best beer to answer the purpose of this thread, is samuel adams. find a costco. costco regularly sells cases of sam adams for $20, BUY ONE GET ONE FREE... i got a case of boston lager, and a case of summer ale a few months back for $20 total. and for the non-americans who have never had a good american beer, you're missing out on sam adams. it's a REAL beer, and it's fucking delicious... and comes in a million styles.