Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

into the wild

Started by theis, Oct 07, 2007, 10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Variable

I rented it tonight.  Just didnt get a chance to watch it yet.  I will tomorrow though.  Im pretty sure I read this book when I was younger.

Variable

This movie was a lot different than I was expecting.  Probably because I never saw a preview.  It was good though, worth watching for sure.  For sure not based off the book I read though.

*******************************SPOILERS***********************************

I was surprised at how urban the movie was.  I was kind of expecting the whole story to be about a guy who just said , FUCK IT, and just went to live 100% completely in/off the wilderness.  Even on his "great Alaskan adventure" he lived in that "magic bus"
It was still cool though.  How much he got out and saw.  Who he met, who he touched.  Good story.  I did find it a bit annoying though how he was complaining about mommy and daddy the whole movie.  I would think that most people come from a less than perfect movie.  For some reason it really seemed to have scarred him.  It seemed less cool that he was almost doing this to get back at them and for spiritual healing than just out of primal instincts.  I guess they stayed pretty close to the real story though? 
Sucks how he died too.  I was kind of confused at why there were no more animals for him to kill.  Was it getting to be fall and they were getting ready for hibernation again?  Fuck though, I think I would have been devising a way to get across that dam river again.  He was a pretty smart kid though, they probably underexagerated how big that river was in the movie.  anyways, good movie.
********************************END SPOILERS**************************

lostpilot

[spoilers]
exactly, I think I would have found a way to cross the river too. I mean, it was not THAT wide and powerful
[/spoilers]

lithium

there was a bridge 2 miles from that bus. he had a .22 caliber rifle, he would of been better off with a slingshot.

the book was good, the movie only romanticizes a spoiled kid whose mad at mom and dad and 'showed' them.

the truth was, he was stupid.
💩

13hourstoparadise

Cool, glad you liked it Trey.

Variable

Quote from: bored on Oct 07, 2008, 12:20 PM
[spoilers]
exactly, I think I would have found a way to cross the river too. I mean, it was not THAT wide and powerful
[/spoilers]
yeah, I would have tried at least.
Quote from: lithium on Oct 07, 2008, 04:47 PM
there was a bridge 2 miles from that bus. he had a .22 caliber rifle, he would of been better off with a slingshot.

the book was good, the movie only romanticizes a spoiled kid whose mad at mom and dad and 'showed' them.

the truth was, he was stupid.
No shit?  Did he know that or is that something they figured out after his death?  I was thinking to myself that I would have walked up and down the river a bit to try to find some kind of lull in the rapids or some sort of natural bridge.  He does seem kind of stupid.
Same with the .22.  What a fucking tard.  I would have at least has a 7.62 - .308.  But then again, all NATO forces go into battle with a .22 caliber rifle also ( 223 - 5.56 ) so I guess we are all pretty stupid.
Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Oct 08, 2008, 12:13 AM
Cool, glad you liked it Trey.
for sure.  I could have killed a couple hours in worst ways

lithium

it was in the map he refused to take with him.
💩

Variable

lol.  I just now realized how stupid my question was.

but still, he was pretty stupid to be that bold on his first time out

devilinside

I didn't like this movie at all. I thought the guy was a complete doof.

Variable

It is just the idea of the movie.  Kind of letting go and just experiencing life.  I could relate in some ways.  Being deployed, as far foreward as I was.  Life was so simple.  Most of the time I wouldn't even hygine.  No need to.  Just wake up, eat, sleep, survive.  Thats about it.  Best time of my life.  I felt very free, very much like myself.  Sucks it was under those circumstances though. 

13hourstoparadise

I don't think I could live without a tooth brush and hair/face wash. Oh, and I shave down below too... I guess I could trim.

Variable

dude you could.  When you have no reason to worry about those things they cease to matter.  Granted I only went like two and a half months without a shower.  But I never even changed underwear.  I had to squat to shit.  I was constantly battling hoards   of flies.  I didn't have any real food.  My pubic bush was epic.  I had to get all up and dirty in dudes blood who just got shot.  And I was living in a very small room with 5 other guys who might have actually smelled worse than me.  Plus we spent our free time getting shot at by ass hole taliban who didn't appreciate me saving their cousins lives.  Well, that and watching Vic Mackey kick ass on the shield for the 2 hours a day that we had electricity.  But it was hands down the happiest time of my life.  After a while you even stop smelling yourself thats when you know you REALLY stink.

Shaye

Quote from: lostpilot on Oct 07, 2008, 12:20 PM
[spoilers]
[/spoilers]

How wide or how strong the current is, comes in second to how cold the water is. You can't fight against a strong current for very long in freezing cold water. I think that was the main problem.

This movie is great though. Inspiring even.

lostpilot

I think he could have figured out a way.

devilinside

Quote from: Variable on Nov 11, 2008, 10:57 AM
dude you could.  When you have no reason to worry about those things they cease to matter.  Granted I only went like two and a half months without a shower.  But I never even changed underwear.  I had to squat to shit.  I was constantly battling hoards   of flies.  I didn't have any real food.  My pubic bush was epic.  I had to get all up and dirty in dudes blood who just got shot.  And I was living in a very small room with 5 other guys who might have actually smelled worse than me.  Plus we spent our free time getting shot at by ass hole taliban who didn't appreciate me saving their cousins lives.  Well, that and watching Vic Mackey kick ass on the shield for the 2 hours a day that we had electricity.  But it was hands down the happiest time of my life.  After a while you even stop smelling yourself thats when you know you REALLY stink.

LMAO @ EPIC pubes!  But me...bein a girly girl wouldn't last a week! For one,the feel when I don't brush my teeth for a day makes me wanna pull my hair out. Two..I HATE squatting to piss! It always splatters on my shoes/pants/legs. Three...aunt flo...OMG that would be horrendous!  Four...not shaving my armpits...I "think" I could last 3 or 4 weeks not shaving my legs and the girly biz,but not the pits. I think hairy pits would irritate the shit outta me. I just gotta shower...guess thats why they send dudes on those expeditions,cause us girls dont like to be dirtay.

Variable

Quote from: Shaye on Nov 11, 2008, 04:58 PM
Quote from: lostpilot on Oct 07, 2008, 12:20 PM
[spoilers]
[/spoilers]

How wide or how strong the current is, comes in second to how cold the water is. You can't fight against a strong current for very long in freezing cold water. I think that was the main problem.

This movie is great though. Inspiring even.
I would have built a fucking bridge.  Or a rope and George of the Jungled my ass over the dam river.  Dude laid down and died..........

Variable

Quote from: devilinside on Nov 11, 2008, 09:09 PM
dude you could.  When you have no reason to worry about those things they cease to matter.  Granted I only went like two and a half months without a shower.  But I never even changed underwear.  I had to squat to shit.  I was constantly battling hoards   of flies.  I didn't have any real food.  My pubic bush was epic.  I had to get all up and dirty in dudes blood who just got shot.  And I was living in a very small room with 5 other guys who might have actually smelled worse than me.  Plus we spent our free time getting shot at by ass hole taliban who didn't appreciate me saving their cousins lives.  Well, that and watching Vic Mackey kick ass on the shield for the 2 hours a day that we had electricity.  But it was hands down the happiest time of my life.  After a while you even stop smelling yourself thats when you know you REALLY stink.

LMAO @ EPIC pubes!  But me...bein a girly girl wouldn't last a week! For one,the feel when I don't brush my teeth for a day makes me wanna pull my hair out. Two..I HATE squatting to piss! It always splatters on my shoes/pants/legs. Three...aunt flo...OMG that would be horrendous!  Four...not shaving my armpits...I "think" I could last 3 or 4 weeks not shaving my legs and the girly biz,but not the pits. I think hairy pits would irritate the shit outta me. I just gotta shower...guess thats why they send dudes on those expeditions,cause us girls dont like to be dirtay.

Who said anything about squatting to piss?  We had to squat for EVERYTHING.  and when the wind would blow up under the hole all the other dudes piss would come up and hit your ass.  Plus it was full of flies that would land on the shit and then land on you.  Interesting getting used to that.

I had to fucking jerk off in there too.  I was against the idea at first.  But I got sick of having wet dreams in my underwear with no way to wash them.

one of my friends actually started getting shot at when he was in there.  lol, talk about insult to injury. 

But yeah, feminine hygiene is a big sanitation problem in environments like that.  Thats why in the bible they talk about women having to leave the cities for a week during that time.  But I guess we just burn everything anyways ( think the movie Jarhead ) so I guess its not too big of a deal. 

devilinside

Quote from: Variable on Nov 11, 2008, 11:28 PM
Quote from: devilinside on Nov 11, 2008, 09:09 PM

Who said anything about squatting to piss?  We had to squat for EVERYTHING.  and when the wind would blow up under the hole all the other dudes piss would come up and hit your ass.  Plus it was full of flies that would land on the shit and then land on you.  Interesting getting used to that.

I had to fucking jerk off in there too.  I was against the idea at first.  But I got sick of having wet dreams in my underwear with no way to wash them.

one of my friends actually started getting shot at when he was in there.  lol, talk about insult to injury. 

EWW! haha No fuckin way! And I didn't mention the OTHER squatting situation,simply cause girls just don't do THAT! hahaha  My son just came over here and said "hahaha!! Is that poop!"

;D

And some of ya'll have really bad aim.

Variable

lol, Tell him that he better study or else he will be pooping there in a few years.....

devilinside

He said he'd like to go in the armed forces,but I told him I'd lock him up and not let him leave. lol I'm toooooo scared for him to do that.

But he also wants to be a Veterinarian,Anthropologist,Chef...I think I'll push him towards one of those.