Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Diamond Eyes - Thoughts + reviews

Started by pissedandpierced, Oct 11, 2007, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.sinister

Quote from: wither-I on Dec 10, 2007, 05:27 AM
Quote from: weakcure on Dec 10, 2007, 05:06 AM
I just hope nothing leaks until then.
right on! cause shit, if so so we might have a single by maybe even july. and i would hate if they postponed the release because of leakage :(
yeah man i wish the album could be released in the fall too, without delays and a single come summer time. but you all should now by now that leaks are inevitable.

weakcure

Quote from: mr.sinester on Dec 10, 2007, 05:36 AM
right on! cause shit, if so so we might have a single by maybe even july. and i would hate if they postponed the release because of leakage :(
yeah man i wish the album could be released in the fall too, without delays and a single come summer time. but you all should now by now that leaks are inevitable.

Completely agree, and I wish when songs did leak, people wouldn't spread them like an STD (ha) because it makes it tough on the band. sigh. I guess we'll see.

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Dec 10, 2007, 05:33 AM
PCP at least sounded different than any of their other songs.  As much as the band says they try not to repeat themselves and try to to push the envelope, sometimes they don't live up to their standard.

You're right though, Combat was the best song on that album.

weakcure is right too though, if PCP didn't have that last part a lot more people would like it.  I personally felt they should have had it as a secret little thing at the end of the album.  It kind of messed up the flow with it in the middle of the cd.
I think Deftones have definitely evolved album to album. Now whether or not it's for the better, that's a matter of personal opinion, but I haven't been personally disappointed with the end product like I have been with other bands. What songs/albums do you think don't live up to their words? I'm not trying to corner you or anything, I'm just curious.

And I never thought about Pink Cellphone being like a hidden track - that would have been a great idea. I definitely agree it's an awkward jump when you're listening to the rest of SNW and that comes on.

rainnyx4

Quote from: weakcure on Dec 10, 2007, 05:46 AM
Quote from: mr.sinester on Dec 10, 2007, 05:36 AM

Completely agree, and I wish when songs did leak, people wouldn't spread them like an STD (ha) because it makes it tough on the band. sigh. I guess we'll see.

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Dec 10, 2007, 05:33 AM
PCP at least sounded different than any of their other songs.  As much as the band says they try not to repeat themselves and try to to push the envelope, sometimes they don't live up to their standard.

You're right though, Combat was the best song on that album.

weakcure is right too though, if PCP didn't have that last part a lot more people would like it.  I personally felt they should have had it as a secret little thing at the end of the album.  It kind of messed up the flow with it in the middle of the cd.
I think Deftones have definitely evolved album to album. Now whether or not it's for the better, that's a matter of personal opinion, but I haven't been personally disappointed with the end product like I have been with other bands. What songs/albums do you think don't live up to their words? I'm not trying to corner you or anything, I'm just curious.

And I never thought about Pink Cellphone being like a hidden track - that would have been a great idea. I definitely agree it's an awkward jump when you're listening to the rest of SNW and that comes on.

I think they've definitely progressed but they keep saying they're going to get brainier ala Tool, Rush, etc. but they still haven't quite made that leap.  Frankly, their biggest evolution of sound was ATF to WP.  That was almost 8 years ago!

There have been a bunch of songs over the years that I felt could've been better if they had just thought about it a little more.  It would take too long to write up a critique for every song so I'll just talk about some of my problems with SNW (excellent album overall 4.5/5).

They seem to just tack on these heavy bridges on a few songs (Cherry Waves, Kim Dracula, and Riviere).  It was like they had these great ideas for the verse and chorus and when they got to the bridge they just had Steph play a few notes on his 7-string and called it a day.  Maybe if just one of the songs went like that I'd be ok with it, but when there was three songs like that it just made me feel like they were lazy.

Mein and Xerces are b-side material.  Even though it's a good song, Mein just isn't up to par with the rest of the song ideas.  I'll never understand everyone's obsession with Xerces.  I love Team Sleep, but I never thought this song was that great for either band.

I love Cherry Waves but it will always bother me that there's a Team Sleep song with the exact same riff in it.

My final critique, which really doesn't have anything to do with the band, is that the album just doesn't seem to be recorded as well as the other albums.  No matter what kind of stereo I play the album on, it doesn't have the kick the other cds do.

mr.sinister

yep lol. the first time i was listening to SNW, after Rats X3 ended, some team sleep-esque song started playing on my cans and for me, it threw off the album just a lil bit. to this day, i still don't enjoy that song that much.

but yeah the last part of pink cellphone would have been good as a reprise hidden track. but then again, imagine hearing this after reivière!

snw9

Mein is a great song..for some reason i enjoy listening to that more than cherry waves.i love snw but what i regret is that a lot of the album has chino's ideas on it. its not a bad thing but i wish the band brought more of their ideas to the table. im happy with the song steph wrote. i wish he didnt "step down" from the writin process like he said he did. whats the point of bein in the band then if u don't want to contribute..and gladly chino jumped the boat cause if he didnt come back with fresh ideas and motivation to rewrite his parts and some songs and had those remade demos made their way to the final cut, this album would have sucked.
Code: [Select]

Frankz0r

is shaun lopez still working with the guys?

White Wrist

Quote from: Frankz0r on Dec 24, 2007, 01:40 AM

?

I guess not. They need a new producer. Or they need to produce themselves the album.

Shaye

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Dec 10, 2007, 06:08 AM
  I'll never understand everyone's obsession with Xerces. 

I don't even understand my own obsession with 'Xerces'. There's just something about Chino's vocals especially in the chorus, it just grabs me.

White Wrist

Quote from: Shaye on Dec 24, 2007, 02:36 AM

I don't even understand my own obsession with 'Xerces'. There's just something about Chino's vocals especially in the chorus, it just grabs me.

oh yeah. i understand that

Frankz0r

Quote from: White Wrist on Dec 24, 2007, 02:33 AM

?

I guess not. They need a new producer. Or they need to produce themselves the album.

I want Terry Date back. He's the man.

Shaye

Quote from: White Wrist on Dec 24, 2007, 02:47 AM
Quote from: Shaye on Dec 24, 2007, 02:36 AM

oh yeah. i understand that

Yeah, it just doesn't have any logical explanation. The song just makes me feel good in some way.

btw, just for the record - your avatar and signature are hysterical.

Cod

Quote from: juvenile on Dec 15, 2007, 04:45 PM
Mein is a great song.

Agreed, this song makes the album for me. It's such a different vibe to the rest of the album.

mr.sinister

Quote from: Cod on Dec 25, 2007, 06:48 PM
Quote from: juvenile on Dec 15, 2007, 04:45 PM
Mein is a great song.

Agreed, this song makes the album for me. It's such a different vibe to the rest of the album.

yup. yup. though i don't really like serj's part.

deftonekid

Quote from: Frankz0r on Dec 24, 2007, 02:47 AM
Quote from: White Wrist on Dec 24, 2007, 02:33 AM

?

I want Terry Date back. He's the man.

yeah Terry Date FTW!

White Wrist

I would love to hear some piano...in the new album...!

goldpony

i cannot wait for the new album. that is all.
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Jacob

Quote from: goldpony on Jan 02, 2008, 01:39 AM
i cannot wait for the new album. that is all.

I very much agree.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

stuka

I want WGTB/Bloody Cape/Hexagram-style I want violence, I want screams, I want Deftones.
face teh load.

theshadeisatool

Quote from: stuka on Jan 02, 2008, 11:47 AM
I want WGTB/Bloody Cape/Hexagram-style I want violence, I want screams, I want Deftones.

agreed!

Atomic

Quote from: White Wrist on Dec 29, 2007, 03:25 AM
I would love to hear some piano...in the new album...!
yea, piano or guzheng, i luv the guzheng
My gag reflex is as absent as my Father~