Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Music General DISCUSSION

Started by Nailec, Nov 27, 2007, 09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldpony

does anyone else listen to all genres of music? sometimes i feel like im the only one. i mean i listen to everything from cannibal corpse to postal service to patsy cline to redman in a given day. i primarily listen to whatever sounds good. i think listening to only one type of music gets boring. i also start to notice bands cannibalizing themselves in genres...they all start to sound the same. that being said i can say i listen to primarily rock music, whatever that may be. what does anyone else think?

P.S. shout out to all the, to use an old newspaper reference, "above the fold" or music members: 4th eye, nailec, starz, velvet tongue, devlin, neurotic (i hear you post good art and poems, havent seen any lately), oldnewtype (i checked your stats, you live up here), and of course zevaka. you make this place awesome! and sorry to anyone i missed...youre awesome too!
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

goldpony

a really good article on why music sounds like shit lately, i always wondered why i had a hard time listening to californication by RHCP. a must read for music fans

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17777619/the_death_of_high_fidelity
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

theis

great article.

haha, it's funny, 'cause i always thought "californication" sounded louder than their other albums. guess i was right.

i feel like buying a turntable and switch out all of my cd's with vinyls now.

goldpony

i think its really depressing that even people who should know better are basically conceding that this is the way its going to be, so dont fight it
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Atomic

Quote from: goldpony on Dec 01, 2007, 03:39 AM
does anyone else listen to all genres of music? sometimes i feel like im the only one. i mean i listen to everything from cannibal corpse to postal service to patsy cline to redman in a given day. i primarily listen to whatever sounds good. i think listening to only one type of music gets boring. i also start to notice bands cannibalizing themselves in genres...they all start to sound the same. that being said i can say i listen to primarily rock music, whatever that may be. what does anyone else think?
i dont know how many genres there are, i listen to anything i can get my hands on, nu metal, mathcore and avant-garde would hav to be my faves
P.S. shout out to all the, to use an old newspaper reference, "above the fold" or music members: 4th eye, nailec, starz, velvet tongue, devlin, neurotic (i hear you post good art and poems, havent seen any lately), oldnewtype (i checked your stats, you live up here), and of course zevaka. you make this place awesome! and sorry to anyone i missed...youre awesome too!
i forgive you 8)
My gag reflex is as absent as my Father~

goldpony

here is link to Black Mountain concert for DL, if anyones interested

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19086361
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Fireal1222

im just happy you mentioned Redman... dare iz a darkside and muddy waters are my two favorite rap albums of all time.

i find myself listening to just about all genres of music

i just like music that i can feel/see or understand... i can almost take myself into the music if its stuff that i like

for example. im listening to boards of canada right now.. i can listen to the song. music is math. and literally see certain images in my brain that only i can quite understand..  but yeah. if music has a certain element to it. i like it no matter what it is... not much music anymore is creative.. at least not whats in the media

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

tarkil

Quote from: Fireal1222 on Feb 23, 2008, 06:23 AMi can listen to the song. music is math. and literally see certain images in my brain that only i can quite understand..  but yeah. if music has a certain element to it. i like it no matter what it is... not much music anymore is creative.. at least not whats in the media

;)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Zevaka

Jesu & Final vinyl news, Final CDr set

*SOLD OUT* Released today (18th March '08) on Avalanche Recordings FINAL - 'INFINITE GUITAR 1 & 2 / GUITAR & BASS IMPROVISATIONS VOL 1 & 2'
4 X CDr SET [AREC011]. *SOLD OUT*
All four of the highly limited and now sold out FINAL '..guitar..' CDr's (see : AREC003-006) in one 4XCD-R set, packaged in
a 4-way DVD case, pro pressing. In a hand numbered limited edition of 150 copies only.
Please visit the Avalanche Store HERE
and scan down the Avalanche Recs catalogue until you reach the AREC011 which can be purchased immediately.
Shipping begins for this in just 9 days from now !

Jesu - 'Pale sketches', Jesu - 'Heart Ache' and Final - 'Afar' vinyl editions on Avalanche Recordings are all being pressed/manufactured now. Pre orders will begin in mid April, shipping will then begin early May.

Current and upcoming Justin K Broadrick related activities :

PYRAMIDS - Remix
GALLHAMMER - production and mix of Live DVD
ISIS - production and mix of 'Oceanic' Live DVD
J2 - production and mix of Jarboe Mini LP (out now)
GENGHIS TRON - Remix
JESU / BATTLE OF MICE - split EP on Robotic Empire
JESU - EP on Caldo Verde
JESU - 'Why Are We Not Perfect' (HHR) songs from split with Eluvium on CDEP with bonus mixes.
GREY MACHINE - 'Disconnected' LP - The debut album coming soon...
JESU / ENVY - Split EP on Daymare Japan
VIDNA OBMANA - jesu Remix & Final Remix
FINAL vs FEAR FALLS BURNING - LP on Conspiracy Recs
FINAL - 'The Apple Never Falls Far From The Tree' 2xVinyl LP on Tone Float
FINAL - CD on Utech Recs. artwork by Stephen Kasner
FINAL - Vinyl LP on No Quarter
N.I.C - Mix & production of forthcoming new album
N.I.C - Remix/dub on 'N.I.C in dub'out now

and more to come....!

theis

Surtur

I sort of listen to all genres
not each and every one of them, but I like a lot of styles
examples: the roots, radiohead, sigur rós, fear factory, isis, mono, the national, björk, massive attack, nine inch nails, opeth, prodigy, pendulum, fatboy slim, queens of the stone age, classical music, folk music, eiffel 65, children of bodom, 65daysofstatic, death cab, dimmu borgir
to name a few

I also have this feeling, if it's good I'll listen to it, no matter what the style

moonlapse vertigo

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Apr 26, 2008, 11:12 AM
I lol'd at this:

:D

it's beyond me why metallica ISN'T in Guitar Hero. seriously.

Zevaka

Well, guys, i want to read some music-related book. Can you suggest me something really interesting? documentary, history of band/genre or something else...
thanks

alvarezbassist17

theis

goldpony

Quote from: Zevaka on May 06, 2008, 01:31 PM
Well, guys, i want to read some music-related book. Can you suggest me something really interesting? documentary, history of band/genre or something else...
thanks

Get In the Van by Henry Rollins - Life on tour with Black Flag

and

Plane Joe - Joe Cole - life on the road with henry rollins'

both very good and no holds barred (as much as possible with Rollins, quite possibly the most boring yet interesting man on earth)
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Zevaka

mr.sinister

does anyone else listen to all genres of music? sometimes i feel like im the only one. i mean i listen to everything from cannibal corpse to postal service to patsy cline to redman in a given day. i primarily listen to whatever sounds good. i think listening to only one type of music gets boring. i also start to notice bands cannibalizing themselves in genres...they all start to sound the same. that being said i can say i listen to primarily rock music, whatever that may be. what does anyone else think

I listen to everything except hip-hop. I don't like it at all. When its blended with other genres I tend to like it more but by itself a pure hip-hop song sucks to me. I think that music is boring. There's not much going on except a looped beat. With a rock song it takes effort and talent to learn how to play an instrument. I am not saying that rap has no talent b/c it does, but to me this music has always seemed fake.

theshadeisatool

Mainstream hip-hop today can indeed be very bland, fake even. But if you listen to something like It Takes A Nation Of Millions.... by Public Enemy, there's a lot of energy, spirit and creativity. I would say the same for some early G-Funk as well plus various other artists since, Lupe Fiasco, The roots, etc. plus traditional DJ-centric hip-hop. UK grime is also really really good. I would say that it's too big a genre to rule out entirely, but I definitely agree what's represented as 'hip-hop' in the mainstream nowadays is only occassion very exciting.

theshadeisatool

Maybe it's fair to compare mainstream hip-hop of the 2000s with glam metal of 80s, in that they're both not a fair reflection of the genre at that time (metal had thrash, etc), but it's what's represented by the majority of media, record labels, etc. Perhaps hip-hop might have it's 1991-type grunge equivalent and alternative hip-hop or more interesting hip-hop will have it's resurgence.