Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Music General DISCUSSION

Started by Nailec, Nov 27, 2007, 09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldpony

Quote from: mr.sinester on May 09, 2008, 06:41 AM
Quote from: goldpony on Dec 01, 2007, 03:39 AM
does anyone else listen to all genres of music? sometimes i feel like im the only one. i mean i listen to everything from cannibal corpse to postal service to patsy cline to redman in a given day. i primarily listen to whatever sounds good. i think listening to only one type of music gets boring. i also start to notice bands cannibalizing themselves in genres...they all start to sound the same. that being said i can say i listen to primarily rock music, whatever that may be. what does anyone else think

I listen to everything except hip-hop. I don't like it at all. When its blended with other genres I tend to like it more but by itself a pure hip-hop song sucks to me. I think that music is boring. There's not much going on except a looped beat. With a rock song it takes effort and talent to learn how to play an instrument. I am not saying that rap has no talent b/c it does, but to me this music has always seemed fake.

i agree with everything shade said and would like to add that there is so much hip hop out there that i definitely wouldnt rule out the genre entirely. like all music, im sure there is an artist out there you would dig.
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

mr.sinister

Yeah man. Mainstream hip-hop or modern and reggaton (Daddy Yankee crap), is the one genre I can't stand. Music like Florida or Soulja Boy are just fucking unoriginal talentless crap. Its all the same shit. Its been done already.I hate 50 Cent and all of that gangster laden rap music and Kayne West. Some of the people that listen to this stuff at school are just plain stupid. its like they think its the most talented shit to ever stream out of a speaker. I don't think they take the time to realize how stupid and immature the lyrics are. Lyrics in a song are perhaps the most important aspect in a song. That is unless you make an instrumental. "If this is right I would rather be wrong, if this is sight I would rather be right" just to quote an Incubus song. But yeah, I don't like hip-hop music but I can safely say that artists like Run DMC, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys are rappers that I can somewhat tolerate. Just don't see me buying any of their records any time soon.

Sorry for my rant and I am sorry if I offended any of you.
Quote from: theshadeisatool on May 09, 2008, 06:59 AM
Maybe it's fair to compare mainstream hip-hop of the 2000s with glam metal of 80s, in that they're both not a fair reflection of the genre at that time (metal had thrash, etc), but it's what's represented by the majority of media, record labels, etc. Perhaps hip-hop might have it's 1991-type grunge equivalent and alternative hip-hop or more interesting hip-hop will have it's resurgence.

I hope your right. I am getting sick of all these wannabe hip, cool ringtone rap shit. And there is that group of people that only listen to whats in and what is being shoved down their throats by Fuse, Vh1 and Mtv. There is a whole world of music out there I wish people would explore rather than to waste their money buying a Soulja Boy disc.

mr.sinister

Quote from: goldpony on May 09, 2008, 03:27 PM
does anyone else listen to all genres of music? sometimes i feel like im the only one. i mean i listen to everything from cannibal corpse to postal service to patsy cline to redman in a given day. i primarily listen to whatever sounds good. i think listening to only one type of music gets boring. i also start to notice bands cannibalizing themselves in genres...they all start to sound the same. that being said i can say i listen to primarily rock music, whatever that may be. what does anyone else think

I listen to everything except hip-hop. I don't like it at all. When its blended with other genres I tend to like it more but by itself a pure hip-hop song sucks to me. I think that music is boring. There's not much going on except a looped beat. With a rock song it takes effort and talent to learn how to play an instrument. I am not saying that rap has no talent b/c it does, but to me this music has always seemed fake.

i agree with everything shade said and would like to add that there is so much hip hop out there that i definitely wouldnt rule out the genre entirely. like all music, im sure there is an artist out there you would dig.

Well I hang out with friends that listen to hip hop and stuff but for some reason out of all of the music they have played for me, none of it has strike my fancy.

moonlapse vertigo

Quote from: mr.sinester on May 09, 2008, 10:36 PM
Quote from: goldpony on May 09, 2008, 03:27 PM

Well I hang out with friends that listen to hip hop and stuff but for some reason out of all of the music they have played for me, none of it has strike my fancy.

good hip-hop is ANYWHERE but the mainstream these days, but the good stuff is still few and far between. try Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, and cLOUDDEAD. if these don't strike your fancy then hip-hop just might not be your thing.

theis

These Arms Are Snakes have broken up :(

wither-I

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

"coming into the nearness of distance"

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

defTHE1s

that article of death of high fidelity is interesting
remind me of the Death Magnetic album haha

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

tarkil

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

B33HIV3

The new album by Greentea Peng, 'GREENZONE 108,' is phenomenal

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIG0MabnOaM
Greentea Peng - Stuck In The Middle