Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Recommend me some good rock moozik

Started by occipudding, Dec 13, 2007, 12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

occipudding

my favorite bands are the smashing pumpkins and the deftones.  im looking for something good like that.  preferably hardness, maybe intertwined with some softness like sp.  some bands i like to give you an idea of what im looking for:  oceansize, dredg, [minus.driver], autolux, (old) codeseven, blur, engine down, major label, nakatomi plaza, idiot pilot, fair to midland, sunny day real estate, glassjaw, hum, miocene, jawbox, sevendust, and more i guess but that should give you somewhat of an idea of what im looking for.
machete!  meow

Corleone

lahemi

some bands with album and track recommendations.  :)

Artist: Khoma
Album: The Second Wave
Track: Stop Making Speeches

Artist: Scumbucket
Album: Batuu
Track: 15-20 Soldering Point

Artist: The Ocean
Album: Aeolian
Track: The City In The Sea

Artist: Yakuza
Album: Samsara
Track: Monkeytail, Miami Device

Artist: Filter
Album: The Amalgamut
Track: You Walk Away

Jacob

check out Far, any cd. and Black Mountain, especially the new cd called In The Future.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

occipudding

well i checked out your suggestions.  have already been listening to far and atdi for years now but thanks for recommending somethin.  never really got into filter but checked out the song lahemi suggested anyways.  hot.  i like it.  scumbucket and black mountain are alright.  not terribly impressed but i like em enough to give em a little time to perhaps grow on me.  i'd probably love black mountain if i was still smoking weed but alas, sobriety makes one much fussier when it comes to music.  was never into isis, can't stand swedish metal like in flames, and the other 3 suggestions didn't do much for me.  not that your efforts are going unappreciated, just giving my humble opinion.  keep em comin people.  wow me.  and if anybody wants a suggestion from moi, there's this little-known band i think everyone should check out.  they're very obscure.  im sure many of you probably haven't heard of them.  they're called the rolling stones.  good night stardustbunnies.
machete!  meow

Jacob

haha, yeah I guess Black Mountain is good music for toking. but I don't and the music still manages to trip me out. give them a while. listen to the whole album, it's full of variation.

if you like heavier rock, check out the guys in my sig, Planes Mistaken For Stars. their last album (unfortunately they just split up), Mercy, is a real rocker. the album before that, called Up In Them Guts, is also really good but a lot less rock and a lot more hardcore.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Starz

Junius
*Shels
Day One Symphony
Jakob
Rosetta
Stateless
Strata
Telescreen
This Will Destroy You

occipudding

i used to LOVE pmfs when i was more into punk/hardcore type shit.  havent listened to them in  years with the exception of the fucking fight ep i have which ill pop in once in a blue to say "i remember when" but that's only 2 songs.  they were a great band though.  anything similar to that band in which the singer doesnt sound like a dying chainsmoker crying over his dead dog rover i would be very interested in.
machete!  meow

occipudding

well this seems to have sunk down so i guess ill bring it back up by posting some shit i was a little impressed by today.  i was lookin at this band miocene on myspace and going through their friends and found these 3:

www.myspace.com/outlawnation

www.myspace.com/kyshera

www.myspace.com/theredinsophieloren

--and the page for miocene--

www.myspace.com/miocene

and i don't know how many people know what band but here's some other suggestions if anyone's interested:
vampire weekend (like calypso/indie rock)
vex red (old broken up british band.  hard rock kinda like a mix between linkin park and the deftones and tool i guess with british vocals.  weren't bad though)
cire (prog rock done well)
emptyself (solo project of above's singer, more electronic)
lorene drive (kind of like a more punk rock mainstream glassjaw.  some of their shit is decent)
attention deficit (kind of like if pelican played jazz fusion)
the walkmen (waily, drony, catchy indie rock)
x is loaded (good rock band from uk with nice leads)
the bastard fairies (um, post-riot grrl?  they have a video on last.fm of some little girl darned up in punk rock garb shouting against the system.  "magic jesus apparition send you to hell")
as tall as lions (catchy indie rock)
regarding i (old broken up female-fronted metalcore band from long island that combined loud and angry with beauty and did it well.  to my knowledge, they only put out one ep.  i think that's sad)
the fire theft (pretty much sunny day real estate but a little different)
george martinez (good acoustic solo artist from florida i think.  he put out an ep of dredg covers.  he has some other stuff that i guess is worth mentioning too so consider it mentioned)
mutamassik (glitchtronica/drum-n-bass with some middle eastern flava)
man without plan (old punk band from upstate ny.  fun)
make good your escape (good alternative rock from uk.  slight smashing pumpkins influence = +)
nakatomi plaza (good indie/punk/hardcore band from right here in nyc)
velella velella (chillout indie.  kind of like team sleep but poppier and a little funk thrown in)
filastine (glitch/drum-n-bass with some latin flava)
the kilimanjaro darkjazz ensemble (the kilimanjaro darkjazz ensemble)
the matthew herbert big band (rebirth of the cool)
al di meola (many of you probably know al di meola.  great jazz guitarist)
woven (kind of like codeseven's last cd but the way it was meant to be played)
ted leo & the pharmacists (great indie band from jersey.  their singer's from my hometown.  1st cd "the tyranny of distance" is the best in my opinion though "hearts of oak" is pretty good too.)
machete!  meow

theshadeisatool

I agree with Far as said above, but you should check out Every Time I Die, particularly Gutter Phenomenon and their latest LP, their not particularly soft and quite math-y but great lyrics, cathartic and have a groove in their riffs. I wrote them off before I heard Gutter Phenomenon but once you get past the initial heaviness/noise they're an amazing band.

occipudding

i actually had gutter phenomenon and thought it was horrible.  i gave it to my old roommate.  if you like rock n rolly hardcore like that though, check out this old broken up band from boston called The Suicide File.  they were precious.
machete!  meow

theshadeisatool

Oh no! Well they are a love or hate band I guess. I guess they've been a grower on me, I'll check that band out though...

occipudding

did anybody check/like any of my suggestions?
machete!  meow

defskull

Coheed and Cambria? It took me awhile to get into them, but once I did I got hooked.

goldpony

Quote from: occipudding on Dec 17, 2007, 09:14 PM

seems u like a lot of NY local punk bands....not my forte but some interesting finds.

this leads in to my next topic: would anyone like a local band thread to talk about local bands?
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Corleone

trail of dead, appleseed cast, failure (fantastic planet)

blondie

Starz

Miocene are cool. Got all their albums and EP's. Shame they broke up I guess... A Perfect Life With A View Of The Swamp was a great album though

rainnyx4

I always recommend this band called Swift.  Their last album "The Absolute Uncontrollable" has been my favorite album of the last few years.  This album is perfect.

The best tracks to get you a taste of the album are:
Respect the Blade
60fps
When People Collude

occipudding

Quote from: goldpony on Dec 17, 2007, 09:26 PM
Quote from: occipudding on Dec 17, 2007, 09:14 PM

seems u like a lot of NY local punk bands....not my forte but some interesting finds.

this leads in to my next topic: would anyone like a local band thread to talk about local bands?

unless im mistaken, i only mentioned 3 local punk bands:regarding i, nakatomi, and man without plan.  maybe vampire weekend as well but they're not punk and last i heard, they getting to be not so local.
machete!  meow