soma show 12/15

Started by ignore the fashion, Dec 14, 2007, 08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ignore the fashion

anyone going to the show at soma?

i'll be there for sure

Zevaka

ignore the fashion

so no one else here went to the soma show?

Freezepoop

I was there
great show, aye?

ignore the fashion

so the first band, i don't remember their name. something like first wave help or something close to that. they sounded okay, but they were already playing when i showed up. during their set i went outside to some a cigarette.

up next was monster in the machine, they were okay. i really liked a few of their songs. kind of reminded me of alice in chains a little.

strata were up next and i thought they were really good, i had never heard much of them before last night but i'd probably buy a cd.

when team sleep finally hit the stage it was amazing, they played a little over an hour and played a few songs i had never heard. a highlight of the night was crook and zach doing a little jam together and chino screaming something over it, it was bad ass. they played a bunch of my favorite songs.

there wasnt a whole lot of chino talking to the crowd which i was kind of surprised by, i think for a few songs rick was having problems with the levels on his keyboards. zach was a monster smashing away on the drums every chance he had.

seeing them play mercedes was another high light of the night and blvd. nights sounded amazing, so did king diamond.

monk

i was there and i gotta say i was bummed right from the start.

first, they didn't play the main stage like they did back in '05. i guess they didn't sell enough tickets or something. second, soma and team sleep for some reason, never work well when it comes to sound. the first 3 bands sounded fine, but when team sleep got on, they sounded way too loud and distorted just like in '05. third, you couldn't see the background movies well since the stage was so small.

anyway, the first band was pretty good in my opinion. they were gonna sell some cds, but they had left them on stage and were lost or stolen somehow. monster in the machine reminded me of alice in chains too. it's tolerable i guess. strata, i could do without. sonny didn't make it to the show, but even though they're kind of irritating, they're amusing to watch.

team sleep played the exact setlist they've been playing since show #1. rick pretty much fixed all the problems at first by letting the sound guys know his keyboard wasn't loud enough, chino's voice wasn't loud enough and that they needed to cut the lights. he didn't seem too happy since he kept slamming the end of his bass against the floor after the end of a couple of songs, one time completely dropping it. todd seemed happier though, shaking the hand of a fan screaming his name constantly throughout the show. he said "i like that guy, that's what i'm talking about". zach was a monster on the drums like always. chino sounded good and made a lot of contact with the fans during king diamond. crook was the first one to come on to the stage and last one to leave. we got to shake his hand on his way out which was pretty cool.

i gotta say, the show was pretty bland. there wasn't a lot of energy from the crowd except for a few fans who were actually excited to see them. a huge difference between the night before at pomona.

ignore the fashion

i haven't really been keeping up on the setlist thing and i'm horrible when it comes to remembering things like that, whats songs did they play?

monk

table of contents
your skull is red
ride to the rectory
mercedes
fen fen
foreign flag
crook vs. zach
ataraxia
formant
march
blvd knights
new guitar
natalie portman
staring at the queen
king diamond

i'm not positive if the order is exactly the same, especially around march, but those are all the songs they played.

Freezepoop

The first band was First Wave Hello. I enjoyed them a good deal, but I was too anxious for Team Sleep to play so I kind of zoned off during

Monster in the Machine was alright. The singer reminded me too much or Kurt (haircut and all), jane's addiction and who knows how many others. It didn't seem different, but it was enjoyable. I definitely don't think they deserved the negative remarks of a few aholes behind me.

strata was alright. My first impression was that they sucked. The vocalist's voice got on my nerves and the two girls pissing themselves and yelling the lyrics into my ear were annoying. After a couple of songs they grew on me. The vocalist has a lot of stage presence and he seems to have his character down, but it's very much like others. At least it was entertaining.

I loved Team Sleep. I agree that they were having many problems, but I think it was an overall goodshow despite Chino being antisocial until the very end. He gave me the impression of a prima donna, but completely suprised me during King Diamond. I wish he had been that amiable during the entire set. It was my first Team Sleep show and I loved it.

I was really surprised by how much fans got excited when they hit the stage. No offense, but I didn't know that many people liked them, but I suppose who do like them really like them. I was tickled pink by the multitudes of guys yelling for Chino and nearly crying when the songs they recognized were played.

that was a crappy review.

did anyone get any pictures?

Corleone

Quote from: Freezepoop on Dec 18, 2007, 01:45 AM
. I was tickled pink by the multitudes of guys yelling for Chino and nearly crying when the songs they recognized were played.

i think they actually want chino in bed

There Will Be Blood

Freezepoop

Quote from: Corleone on Dec 18, 2007, 04:23 AM
i think they actually want chino in bed
aye, possibly
I never realized how many guys look up to Chino. Unfortunately this leads to the other members being left out.

13hourstoparadise

Freezepoop

That's from the Pomona show, but cool none the less.
I think he sounded better at the Soma show, maybe it's just the quality

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: Freezepoop on Dec 18, 2007, 09:55 PM
That's from the Pomona show, but cool none the less.
I think he sounded better at the Soma show, maybe it's just the quality

Yeah, I posted in the wrong thread... But was too lazy too correct. Still am too lazy.