Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Henry Fonda Theater, Hollywood 12/13

Started by monk, Dec 17, 2007, 06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monk

i'm surprised no one has done a review of this show since i know a lot of you went, but here's mine.

we got there kinda early. parking to the venue was $15. yeah, i know, a fucking rip. i had no idea cars also needed to pay admission price.

we entered during the end of strata's set thankfully. it was a big, beautiful venue unlike many of the places team sleep has been playing at. the crowd was pretty scattered, so we managed to get right next to the stage. monster in the machine was next. it was the first time i had heard them play and they sounded ok. reminded me a lot of candlebox, alice in chains, very early '90s type rock. sonny got on after. not the greatest, most original band. for those who haven't heard them, they're like a cross between an electronica/rock band and a mid '90s boy band. it's weird, but they have a shitload of energy and are somewhat fun to watch.

[rant] i don't know what it is about chino's bands and their touring picks. i think someone should ask him whenever they get the chance as to how these bands that don't fit in at all, end up on the same billing. in 2005, they had a way better lineup with strike him centurion and scene index. i would've loved to see either one or both of those again instead of these latest picks. [/rant]

next was team sleep. chino was dressed appropriately for l.a. with the baggy khakis and beanie. great response from the crowd. the setlist was song for song exactly as all the shows so far. one song i did notice a change in was fen fen. it has changed from the first show in orangevale by adding a chorus. i think that song is a good example of how unfinished these new songs still are. they're still in the process of working on them, even on tour. it definitely sounds way better with the new changes and has quickly become one of my all time favorite team sleep songs. chino didn't interact with the crowd at all during mercedes and king diamond, which i'm sure bummed out all the people on the rail. the rest of the band looked to be enjoying the show. the sound and lighting was perfect in this place. even the background movies were displayed the best i've seen during the whole tour. not even the band member's heads would get in the way. besides orangevale, i think this is the most the band seemed to be enjoying themselves playing thanks to a good crowd.

the highlight of the night was king diamond though. halfway during the song, chino brought out 3 girls out to the stage and started rapping about having bitches every night. one was a heavy set girl, another a tall black girl and the third a girl that looked a lot like mary elizabeth winstead (death proof). then it kinda turned into a hip hop show with all these girls dancing around on stage while chino rapped. after that, chino and zach left the stage and these girls took over and sang songs. they went on about another 15 minutes or so singing and shit. after it being amusing for about 5 minutes, we left.

all in all, good show.

Inkblades

Quote from: monk on Dec 17, 2007, 06:56 AM
and the third a girl that looked a lot like mary elizabeth winstead (death proof).

so, in other words, she was hot as fuck?

monk

haha. the heavy set girl and the black girl kept coming down from the stage to interact with the crowd and fuck with security, but all the guys kept screaming for that girl to come down as well, which she didn't.

tarkil

Damn Monk, you rule...

Thanks for your review bro !
It's great that some people give us info about what's going on on the other side of the world...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

13hourstoparadise

What the fuck were the girls singing? Jibba jabba?

Zevaka

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: Zevaka on Dec 17, 2007, 03:53 PM
monk, do u tour with team sleep?

When you say tour, you mean stalk right?

He paid for a ticket, he drove himself to the show, wrote a review... Man, I could go on... :)

I'm currently on tour with my own testicles.

skinnypuppy

what was the name of the three chick rap act? I knew it at one point, but forgot. It was something that started with a B. I hung out with the three of them after the show since I too thought the one girl was cute; but then found out she's...well...not.

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: skinnypuppy on Dec 26, 2007, 02:48 AM
what was the name of the three chick rap act? I knew it at one point, but forgot. It was something that started with a B. I hung out with the three of them after the show since I too thought the one girl was cute; but then found out she's...well...not.

Bitches?

skinnypuppy

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: monk on Dec 17, 2007, 06:56 AM

we got there kinda early. parking to the venue was $15. yeah, i know, a fucking rip. i had no idea cars also needed to pay admission price.

and that is why I took the subway and walked one block to the theatre. Good show. Always impressed with Zach Hills drumming and just the overall environment and sound that team sleep brings.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

13hourstoparadise