Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The truth about music?

Started by Zevaka, Dec 17, 2007, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zevaka

I've just found this opinion from one dude (music fan, btw) and now i'm thinking again and again about it. It just take all my thoughts
He said (wrote, it's on one board) the following:
Quotekid yourself all you want but music has never brought anything but romantic fantasies to the minds of the whole population and tricked us into believing something that's not true: there's something that connects all of us. some people describe music as the universal language but they're just blind, we're communicating for escapism and listening for escapism. it's a cruel gag we've been playing on ourselves since the first beat of a drum was beat and rhythm was born. and now with the current trend in music to listen to as many possible artists as you can fit in one computer there isn't even a sense of community. we're alienating ourselves and it's sickening.

So far, i haven't found anything wrong in these arguments. DO WE really kid ourselves? Is music really so fucking overrated thing?

Goddamn, why did i read this.

devlin

Quote from: Zevaka on Dec 17, 2007, 05:10 PM
I've just found this opinion from one dude (music fan, btw) and now i'm thinking again and again about it. It just take all my thoughts
He said (wrote, it's on one board) the following:
Quotekid yourself all you want but music has never brought anything but romantic fantasies to the minds of the whole population and tricked us into believing something that's not true: there's something that connects all of us. some people describe music as the universal language but they're just blind, we're communicating for escapism and listening for escapism. it's a cruel gag we've been playing on ourselves since the first beat of a drum was beat and rhythm was born. and now with the current trend in music to listen to as many possible artists as you can fit in one computer there isn't even a sense of community. we're alienating ourselves and it's sickening.

So far, i haven't found anything wrong in these arguments. DO WE really kid ourselves? Is music really so fucking overrated thing?

Goddamn, why did i read this.

its both as far as i'm concerned. i see your mike patton sig and know your a fan of his work. so am i, and thats enough to start a conversation. people come together and bond on common interests.

but at the same time i can listen to mr. bungle and "escape" into my own world and have a totally different experiece from the music than you mught have.

goldpony

all entertainment is a form of escapism. you could have said the same thing about any media. i think its what separates us from animals, the ability to find meaning in the meaningless. I dont think music, or any entertainment, is overrated. i think it is essential to our mental well being to be able to "escape" and forget about what ills us. this is probably why the cavemen did it. can u imagine how stressful it was to be a caveman? as for alienation, how is getting closer to each other alienating. we all have access to music and ideas we didnt even have 5 years ago. you could say the dearth of choices is overwhelming, but alienating? i dont think so, unless youre part of a clique and cant accept other forms of music.

anyway, you should know that the only universal language is math
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

theis

blah blah blah.

music is amazing.

end.

emotivelotion

Quote from: goldpony on Dec 17, 2007, 07:18 PM

933|{0rz!

of course music do, its all about a context, maybe caveman never worried about being bored cuz they didnt have a context about "music", o well beyond the music as an universal language it got used as good  for ideological state apparatuses, just like internet or any kind of media as it's been said, some times i just laugh at it cuz there's not a thing such an "escape"

occipudding

music is just creative expression.  nothing more, nothing less.  an aural glimpse into another human being's psyche.  here's another way to express one's self:
http://www.flurl.com/item/Hatchet_vs_Genitals_u_199612
machete!  meow

Moz

The only thing I agree on is the fact that mp3s makes us even less connected with it all. That's why for all my favourite bands I still get the cds. I find the cds to be far more satisfying than the mp3s on my computer. I listen to them more, get more involved in the music and the artists behind them, I just FEEL them more.

And I think we listen to music for it gets us closer to our OWN feelings. I don't listen to it to connect with others.

Deftones-argentina

I think people is expecting too much from music.
They expect it to be the hero of their life, to teach them, to tell them how they should feel, think, what to do, how to solve their problems...that shows how poor is our selfsteem. Every people that gets sad just hear some song like waiting to be cured, or somehing like this. I don't know, it's just my idea.

claudio

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Dec 19, 2007, 02:07 AM
I think people is expecting too much from music.
They expect it to be the hero of their life, to teach them, to tell them how they should feel, think, what to do, how to solve their problems...that shows how poor is our selfsteem. Every people that gets sad just hear some song like waiting to be cured, or somehing like this. I don't know, it's just my idea.
You sumed it up quite nicely.
Yes, music is a form of escapism, but what is wrong with that.

I'd rather listen to music than watch the crap on TV.

thesongyousang

Quote from: emotivelotion on Dec 17, 2007, 08:03 PMmaybe caveman never worried about being bored cuz they didnt have a context about "music"

Or maybe they were to busy scavaging for food , ducking dinosaurs  and beating the shit out of Cavewhores for poon.

this thread is retarded .

Lock it.

"The Nigger that crime follows, Im hitting fine models
and stabbing punks with broken wine bottles..
I beat chumps til their head splits
then break'em like breadsticks
I sex chicks
I'll even fuck a dead bitch..."

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: goldpony on Dec 17, 2007, 07:18 PM
all entertainment is a form of escapism. you could have said the same thing about any media. i think its what separates us from animals, the ability to find meaning in the meaningless. I dont think music, or any entertainment, is overrated. i think it is essential to our mental well being to be able to "escape" and forget about what ills us. this is probably why the cavemen did it. can u imagine how stressful it was to be a caveman? as for alienation, how is getting closer to each other alienating. we all have access to music and ideas we didnt even have 5 years ago. you could say the dearth of choices is overwhelming, but alienating? i dont think so, unless youre part of a clique and cant accept other forms of music.

Intelligently expressed. I agree.
Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 07:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

ignore the fashion

oldgentlovecraft

holy shit that was wrong lol

Fireal1222

heres an idea. stop listening to all of your music. and we will see if somethings missing. oh. have fun driving

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Corleone

snw777

Music saves, art saves me.

Without music I would be probably dead.

Music conect us with the feeling we have when we are with a girl, when we where high or drunk.

Today is not the best music era, but fuck it we can listen every kind of bands from 60s 70s.

When the music is over, turn off the lights.

snw777

occipudding

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Dec 19, 2007, 02:22 PM
holy shit that was wrong lol

yeah man, im not even gonna kid around and say i was the 3rd one.  my genitals are right where they should be... firmly tucked between my legs after having envisioned the horrid grotesqueness that is on the internet.
machete!  meow

Atomic

My gag reflex is as absent as my Father~

ignore the fashion

Quote from: Corleone on Dec 20, 2007, 03:03 AM
Quote from: Fireal1222 on Dec 20, 2007, 02:29 AM
oh. have fun driving

you could listen to talk shows :(

most of the time i'm driving alone, so i play music pretty loud.

driving with no music on would suck.