Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Band Bashing Thread

Started by theshadeisatool, Jan 12, 2008, 08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

ben

Wait...people don't like Rebecca Black???

Caín

Quote from: theis on Apr 08, 2011, 07:52 PM
So, Leitmotif, CWA and Pariah are bad albums? Seriously?

yes. all of them suck for various reasons. do you want me to break it down for you?

lostpilot

please do, Cain.
lets discuss, hurt each others beliefs and then we can all hug it out

Caín

Quote from: lostpilot on Apr 10, 2011, 04:31 PM
please do, Cain.

alright. no hugging, though.

1. leitmotif - missing structure, good hooks and is all over the place. might have been a good record if the band had more focus at the time.
2. cwa - two good songs are not enough to carry a whole album. the rest lacks either vision or hooks. coming off el cielo i'd say it's vision they lack.
3. pariah - is a jumbled mess of a record, dabbling in my chemical romance style drama and bad 80s references. absolutely no flow and cohesion to the record.

theis

i can't take a person, who'd rather listen to rebecca black than dredg, serious.

Caín

Quote from: theis on Apr 10, 2011, 04:46 PM
i can't take a person, who'd rather listen to rebecca black than dredg, serious.

that's alright. I don't dig people who dismiss music based on what's cool to listen to.

Vesanic

I seriously feel like bringing your opinion of Deftones' self-titled record on the table haha, but oh well, we're all different...

Caín

Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 10, 2011, 05:06 PM
I seriously feel like bringing your opinion of Deftones' self-titled record on the table haha, but oh well, we're all different...

Even deftones have acknowledged that s/t & snw were weak records and bad periods creatively in general.

lostpilot

Quote from: Caín on Apr 10, 2011, 04:43 PM
please do, Cain.

1. leitmotif - missing structure, good hooks and is all over the place. might have been a good record if the band had more focus at the time.
2. cwa - two good songs are not enough to carry a whole album. the rest lacks either vision or hooks. coming off el cielo i'd say it's vision they lack.
3. pariah - is a jumbled mess of a record, dabbling in my chemical romance style drama and bad 80s references. absolutely no flow and cohesion to the record.

I actually have to agree with your thoughts since they are quite observant. I feel the same way about Leitmotif and Pariah (nicely written about MCR style drama in the songs - so true), but I have to say, that CWA is still quite solid. The production value is very enjoyable; yes, the album is not ground-breaking but is well executed - and I could say more than two songs that I do enjoy quite a lot, so in my eyes CWA still earns a pretty good mark in my scale. El Cielo is wonderful. The new album is.. well, they were trying to be experimental (in a sense that "playing something fans will never expect"), but I just cannot enjoy the "light-heartedness" of the album and lack of essence. This is how the album seems for me.

lostpilot

Quote from: Caín on Apr 10, 2011, 05:20 PM

Even deftones have acknowledged that s/t & snw were weak records and bad periods creatively in general.

About this - self-titled is their masterpiece. If I had the chance, I would come up to the Deftones guys and  tell them that they should acknowledge how masterful self-titled is.

Caín

Quote from: lostpilot on Apr 10, 2011, 05:25 PM
Quote from: Caín on Apr 10, 2011, 04:43 PM
please do, Cain.

I actually have to agree with your thoughts since they are quite observant. I feel the same way about Leitmotif and Pariah (nicely written about MCR style drama in the songs - so true), but I have to say, that CWA is still quite solid. The production value is very enjoyable; yes, the album is not ground-breaking but is well executed - and I could say more than two songs that I do enjoy quite a lot, so in my eyes CWA still earns a pretty good mark in my scale. El Cielo is wonderful. The new album is.. well, they were trying to be experimental (in a sense that "playing something fans will never expect"), but I just cannot enjoy the "light-heartedness" of the album and lack of essence. This is how the album seems for me.

actually, I just gave catch with arms a shirt spin and I agree. there are actually more than 2 good songs on it, so I retract my statement. dredg made 2 good records, of which 1 is a masterpiece.
the new record to me is painful to listen to. I seriously cannot get through a single song. I hate the sense of drama, the cheap 80s sounds and the overall lack of depth. also, I really despise the way Gavin sings. His singing got weak on CWA, but on this record, he is downright obnoxious.

Caín

Quote from: lostpilot on Apr 10, 2011, 05:26 PM
Quote from: Caín on Apr 10, 2011, 05:20 PM

About this - self-titled is their masterpiece. If I had the chance, I would come up to the Deftones guys and  tell them that they should acknowledge how masterful self-titled is.

It may be a masterpiece to some people. maybe they find the bleakness of it exciting, but I think it is a sign of their dwindling creativity. s/t pushes no boundaries, no buttons. it's just bleak and monotonous all the time. and it misses the key ingredience of what makes deftones great: sexuality.

Vesanic

Quote from: Caín on Apr 10, 2011, 05:20 PMEven deftones have acknowledged that s/t & snw were weak records and bad periods creatively in general.

Chino could say that Pink Maggit is the worst song they have ever written, it still would be my all-time favorite track. A band or an artist is not supposed to tell you how to listen to their music.

Caín

Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 10, 2011, 05:44 PM
Quote from: Caín on Apr 10, 2011, 05:20 PMEven deftones have acknowledged that s/t & snw were weak records and bad periods creatively in general.

Stop with that kind of shit already. Chino could say that Pink Maggit is the worst song they have ever written, it still would be my all-time favorite track. A band or an artist is not supposed to tell you how to listen to their music.

that's why I love Rebecca Black.

Vesanic

Gotta admit, I laughed pretty hard.

lostpilot

Cain, sexuality is definitely not the only strength of Deftones. For me personally, s/t is great because it lacks the up-front sexuality but transmits hidden emotions like envy or richness of soul; it's a very mature record. The album itself has a wonderful static atmosphere and definitely has unique and mastered sound. But - to each his own. I don't expect you to suddenly love the album as much as do merely because of my arguments. Live and let live

poofing acid

I might have stated this already but, I can't stand the beatles.

E-Money

Quote from: Sushi-X on Apr 08, 2011, 01:50 AM
^ I didn't have band to bash until you mentioned Arctic Monkeys. For me they suck. And their one of best examples of shitty mastering affecting music these days. Oh, also Oasis/Beady Eye or whatever the Gallagher brothers put out. Horrible.

so true!

bright lights, big city

Quote from: poofing acid on Apr 11, 2011, 05:29 AM
I might have stated this already but, I can't stand the beatles.
not this argument again.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?