Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

What do you do, to prevent global warming?

Started by Variable, Jan 14, 2008, 06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Variable

So as  most of you can probably guess, I am in no way an environmentalist hippy freak.  However, I do think it is important to do your part and not just be a polluting ass hole because you can.  So I was recently watching an episode of "my name is earl" where he went to a ....I guess hippy comune.  And they were giving him ideas about how he could do his part for global warming.  Like using hemp bags when you go shopping ( which I never thought of ) and stuff like that.  So I figured we could swap some ideas because a lot of us may not be thinking of some really easy things we can do.

So I personally do easy things like
1.keep lights off
2. make the plastic trash bags last as long as possible ( we dont have any trash cans out here I can use)
3. we eat with plastic utensils out here, they come with a spoon, knife, and fork.  I usually dont use all of them for each meal.  So I will save the ones I dont use for some other time.
4.  I would love not to use plastic water bottles, but thats all we have for water.  But I do stay away from plastic bowls and stuff.
ummmm thats really about.  I have a lot more I would love to do when I get home.  It is just hard when you are deployed.  What about you guys though?

goldpony

i

• turn the lights out
  • turn off my car, even if im running in somewhere for a second
  • recycle
  • turn off water, like when i brush my teeth and the toothbrush is in my mouth
  • check my tires for proper inflation every couple weeks
  • keep my car maintained (one of em anyway)
  • keep my thermostat low (like 67-69 in the winter)
  • walk instead of drive, if its a short distance

"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

blondie

you can't stop global warming, so give it up.

devilinside

Yeah...if the whole world took part then maybe,but the world's goin to hell in a handbasket.

We sould bring Al Gore to this thread.

goldpony

or why dont we all throw our hands up in the air and do nothing, because it wont work unless everyones doing it.  ::)

i dont do this shit because itll stop global warming, i do it because its the right thing to do.

EDIT: sorry to get all grumpy, but i really cant stand that attitude
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

White Pwny

Quote from: goldpony on Jan 15, 2008, 12:49 AM
or why dont we all throw our hands up in the air and do nothing, because it wont work unless everyones doing it.  ::)

i dont do this shit because itll stop global warming, i do it because its the right thing to do.

You go boy.
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

devilinside

Quote from: goldpony on Jan 15, 2008, 12:49 AM

You'll be alright.

Nailec

as there is a huge line between attitude and manifast behavior i try to act on how my attitude is and to keep this line as low as possible.

for example: i know its not ok to throw batteries in the garden. so i stop throwing them in the garden.

its pretty generell but i think the sentence above is a good personal guide for me

oh yeah. as i am german, my environmental attitude is pretty good ;)

goldpony

Quote from: Nailec on Jan 15, 2008, 12:55 AM
as there is a huge line between attitude and manifast behavior i try to act on how my attitude is and to keep this line as low as possible.

for example: i know its not ok to throw batteries in the garden. so i stop throwing them in the garden.

its pretty generell but i think the sentence above is a good personal guide for me

this might be the most intelligent thing anyone has every posted
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

White Pwny

Quote from: goldpony on Jan 15, 2008, 01:02 AM

Damn it.  Out of my 6000 posts.   None of them were the most intelligent.   >:(   I need to do more reading.  =o)
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

Nailec

Quote from: goldpony on Jan 15, 2008, 01:02 AM

nanana calm down. this is just what green politicians or environmental scientist try to do.
make environmental behaviour  more attractive.
i just dont need rewards for my behaviour. i try to take it as a duty.

Jerry_Curls

I don't drive. I take public transportation so I don't waste a shit ton of money for gas. It feels good not having to worry about hitting anybody, being hit, staying awak while driving, etc etc.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

snw777

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Jan 15, 2008, 01:57 AM
I don't drive. I take public transportation so I don't waste a shit ton of money for gas. It feels good not having to worry about hitting anybody, being hit, staying awak while driving, etc etc.

same here.

Variable

yeah I forgot about that.  One of my summer school biology teachers (yeah im a winner) taught me about how bad it was to throw away batteries.  I have been good about it.  But thats another thing I cant do while deployed.  We just literally burn EVERYTHING.  Shit, piss, batteries, garbage, everything gets burned.  Drives me crazy

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Jan 15, 2008, 01:57 AM
yeah I have not been allowed to drive for 2 years now ( just because of my duty stations in the military)  I think all the time about how much money I save on gas and car payments and insurance.  Plus I used to drink and drive a lot.  Now that I took a step back (and maybe grew up a little) I realized how stupid I was being and how easy it is to get around without drinking and driving.  I would be a big supporter of a move towards mass public transportation for all of the states in the US.

Variable

Quote from: devilinside on Jan 15, 2008, 12:37 AM
the world's goin to hell in a handbasket.

yeah I know what you mean, Hillary has a shot and Al Gore won the Nobel prize for a cinematic power point presentation. 

The world is no worse off than it was 100 years ago.  We are just more aware of it now.  Which means we should take action to fix it.  Or maybe we should just revert back to slavery and fuck womens rights.  Hell I say we go back to the earth being flat.  Not like there have ever been drastic changes made in culture to better the world.

Atomic

My gag reflex is as absent as my Father~

weakcure

- I reuse paper plates all the damn time - I mean, to the point of even rinsing the foam plates.
- I use grocery bags in place of regular trash bags.
- Turn off lights
- Public transportation when I can, drive when it's more convenient in certain situations, bike when there are sidewalks.
- Buy more efficient light bulbs

I just hate the feeling of pure consumption and being driven to buy and waste more.

Quote from: Variable on Jan 15, 2008, 04:09 AM
yeah I know what you mean, Hillary has a shot and Al Gore won the Nobel prize for a cinematic power point presentation. 
Amen.

untz untz untz

i guess Earth doesn't go through cycles

deepest_ocean

here's a couple of things i do to prevent environmental problems:

- i cycle a lot. i do have a car but i use it maby like twice a month
- i don't eat meat (except for fish every now and then) and i hardly use any dairy products eather.
- oh yeah, and i try to shut the lights and all that stuff like avoiding using plasticbags etc

Variable

Quote from: untz untz untz on Jan 15, 2008, 07:33 AM
i guess Earth doesn't go through cycles
it does.  But that does not mean we have the right to be wasteful ass holes