Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

dubai

Started by lithium, Feb 19, 2008, 02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whodunit?

jesus, people. I was just joking. where the hell did the humor of this board dissapear?

:-[ :-X

goldpony

it left at the same time you did, yoda
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

whodunit?

yeah, I feel guilty now.  :-[

but hey, whatever. nobody even cares. blah. :-\

lithium

💩

goldpony

"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

whodunit?

yay, thanks.

hey, you know me. I don't insult people. I tried to be funny but I guess I'm not  :(

My girlfriend has a friend in Dubai. We wanted to visit him but it would be hella expensive!

mrs_swa

Quote from: goldpony on Feb 20, 2008, 10:14 PM
it left at the same time you did, yoda

I second this!!
...blow the Universe into nothingNESS.  nuclear warfare shall lay us to rest...

whodunit?

so I guess the humor left cause most people laughed at me  :-\

anyway, I'm totally drunkz  :-[

Jacob

that is pretty crazy ineed. I'd love to go there and see if it's as shiny and futuristic looking as it is in those pictures.

funny how someone mentioned the tower of Babel though... because that city is the new Babylon for sure.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Law

It looks cool, one of my friends went there last month... they really liked it. Probably too hot for me but it's somewhere I'd like to check out.

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: whodunit? on Feb 20, 2008, 09:50 PM
jesus, people. I was just joking. where the hell did the humor of this board dissapear?

A sandwich walks into a bar, the bartender says, "hey! we don't serve food here!"

:)

Variable

Quote from: weakcure on Feb 20, 2008, 05:50 AM
Quote from: Variable on Feb 20, 2008, 05:10 AM
Dubai is a great example of what a country in the middle east can become when they pull their heads out of their asses.

I don't mean to sound rude, but just because Dubai can boast a ton of shiny buildings doesn't imply that its head is out of its ass. The Arab culture and predominant presence of Islam is still there (which isn't to imply, whatsoever, that's the equivalent of having your head up your ass). The only real thing that differentiates Dubai from any other country in the Middle East is that it's become a haven for international trade and business; the sole purpose is to bring in money for a relatively small population of 1,000,000. And plus, the idea of making a business/travel mecca (no pun intended) in the Middle East isn't new; there were exact plans to do this in the island of Kish off the coast of Iran before the revolution, but after the revolution, plans were scrapped and exchanged for Dubai.

And plus, it's too damn hot there.
geez and here I thought an economy and a generally peaceful society was a good thing. Thanks for clearing that up.

So check.  Just so we are all clear.  To have your shit together you cant have an Arab culture, and you can't be an Islamic state.

seriously though, I dont see your point at all.

Variable

they made rule against it

whodunit?

Quote from: Variable on Feb 24, 2008, 09:04 PM

they made rule against it

dude, you've got 5500 posts and you still don't know how to double quote?

Variable

well I didnt see your post till I went to the second page jackass

besides, how do you think I got so many post in the first place?

weakcure

Quote from: Variable on Feb 24, 2008, 09:02 PM
Quote from: weakcure on Feb 20, 2008, 05:50 AM
Quote from: Variable on Feb 20, 2008, 05:10 AM
Dubai is a great example of what a country in the middle east can become when they pull their heads out of their asses.

I don't mean to sound rude, but just because Dubai can boast a ton of shiny buildings doesn't imply that its head is out of its ass. The Arab culture and predominant presence of Islam is still there (which isn't to imply, whatsoever, that's the equivalent of having your head up your ass). The only real thing that differentiates Dubai from any other country in the Middle East is that it's become a haven for international trade and business; the sole purpose is to bring in money for a relatively small population of 1,000,000. And plus, the idea of making a business/travel mecca (no pun intended) in the Middle East isn't new; there were exact plans to do this in the island of Kish off the coast of Iran before the revolution, but after the revolution, plans were scrapped and exchanged for Dubai.

And plus, it's too damn hot there.
geez and here I thought an economy and a generally peaceful society was a good thing. Thanks for clearing that up.

So check.  Just so we are all clear.  To have your shit together you cant have an Arab culture, and you can't be an Islamic state.

seriously though, I dont see your point at all.

No, I do agree that an economy and peaceful society is a good thing, but when you said Dubai is what the Middle East should be (that is, "with their heads out of their asses"), you implied the entire Middle East is antiquated (or shitty, whatever). And I really don't see why Dubai is the ideal *because* they are Arab and predominantly Islamic, just like the majority of the MidEast. If you had said their having an economy and being a relatively peaceful society (which I guess means there are no major wars or factions), then I wouldn't have replied to your comment.

And I tried to make it clear that I didn't think being Arab and Islamic constituted having your head in your ass.

Variable

yes that you did, I was just being an ass hole

But yeah, I guess I thought the reason I thought they had their head out of their ass was implied.

deafnotes

thers alot of my countrymen working in dubai.

samson simpson

they actually built a fully interactive robotic "Jurassic Park" there .........

i might go in the near future

Jacob

I've made up my mind, I will go there. it's definitely not my type of place for a vacation, but I just can't miss this.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep