Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

@ bright lights, big city

Started by theis, Apr 03, 2008, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

my ass is pretty awesome, if i do say so myself. i've been doing squats and leg presses and shit lately. yeah i'm hardcore.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

blixa

i want to get back into working out. i really enjoyed it. rarely have the time plus i do so much lifting and walking around at work that i'm exhausted when i get back home. i want to tone my thighs. i've been thinking of taking up rock climbing.

bright lights, big city

Rock climbing sounds pretty intense. I've never done it and seems like something I would pussy out of haha. That, and the closest mountains are  like 1,000 miles away.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

blixa

you need a strong upper body, which i have. i want to go down to the local rock climbing place and start on the beginners, which i got told is mostly populated by school children. my boss' best friend tried it and he realised that he totally over estimated the whole situation and stopped immediately because it was too difficult. he's a big guy too.

downtownpony

Ok. I guess I need to read the comments before a posted picture so I can know the story behind it. I just assumed that it was his ass cause it's his thread. MY BAD.

blixa

i have a man's arse? why wasn't i told about this, mark?

bright lights, big city

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 15, 2010, 06:13 PM
haha i'm a total sucker for panties like that. and i must say your rear end looks absolutely scrumptious.
i stand by what i previously stated about your nice ass.
DERP

Variable

Rock climbing is a lot of fun.  It's really not as hard as you're making it out to be.  I am not trying to be insulting, but I can tell that you haven't really been taught how to properly go rock climbing because you said that you need a strong upper body.  Rock climbing is at least 80% legs.  You push yourself up with your legs, and just use your forearms to keep you from falling back.  Which I admit can fatigue your forearms pretty good.  But if you know what your doing your upper body shouldn't have much to do with rock climbing.

All that being said, I live in Joshua Tree, CA.  Which is supposed to have some of the best rock climbing in the U.S. , and I have never been rock climbing out here.  It's not going to happen any time soon either because I have a torn Labrum and and awaiting shoulder surgery.

blixa

i was told that you would need upper body strength for rock climbing. my brothers friends all rock climb and they're all football players so they do have a lot of strength in their legs but found it excruciating on their arms. to me it always felt like you'd be hoisting yourself up and your arms are a major key.

Variable

Yeah I know that it seems like you would be using your arms a lot, but thats not how you're supposed to do it. 

I guess I could have told you the story of how I know this.  I have messed around on a few rock walls.  It was not the first time I went rock climbing but maybe the 3rd or 4th.  I was with some friends and when I came down I was complaining about how smoked my arms were, especially my forearms.  One of the guys that worked there overheard me and explained how I was doing it wrong.  He watched me go back up and said that I was doing it like a noob because I was using my arms and not my legs.  Then he pointed out some pretty serious rock climbers and how they were doing it.  It all clicked after that.  I mean your leg muscles are so much bigger and stronger than you arm muscles, it only makes sense that you would want to use them over your arm muscles.

It doesn't feel natural at all when you first start trying to climb the wall with your leg.  Obviously we are having this conversation because it feels natural to try and use your arms to climb the wall.  It feels so natural that most people don't even consider using their legs until they are told otherwise.  You can see that even your athletic male friends did it wrong, I'm guessing due to a lack of instruction.

So anyways, thats that.  I didn't mean to get all technical on you.  I just thought I would share the knowledge.  Here is a video on how to rock climb using the lest amount of energy.

Intermediate Rock Climbing : How to Rock Climb with the Least Energy

blixa

i agree that you don't need to entirely depend on your arms, but i kind of assumed that it would be like tree climbing, which i've done a lot and my upper body has always come in handy. maybe i shouldn't rock climb and stick to running or something. my brother said he would take me next time he went.

also that guys voice was very annoying hahaha

Variable

Running is great exercise but I HATE running.  I actually just found out yesterday that if you run a mile it burs the exact same amount of calories as if you walk a mile.  I had a really hard time believing that, but I looked it up and sure as shit its true.  Now obviously running will burn you more calories per hour, and strengthen your cardiovascular system better.  But I just found that interesting.

Rock climbing is great exercise too.  It's very unique exercise as well.  You really should try it.  Combine it with running.  It's not so good for you body to run every day.  The impact on your knees and hips it just too much.  So It's good to mix up different cardio work outs in between runs.  

When I was actually working out like I should be doing now; I would run every other day and do the elyptical machine on the days in between.  As well as take an off day every 5 days.  This worked very well for me.  Yeah a guy looks really lame on the elyptical.  But I was in great shape and my body wasn't breaking down.

I also really enjoy swimming. 

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Variable on Jan 09, 2011, 07:00 PM
Running is great exercise but I HATE running.  I actually just found out yesterday that if you run a mile it burs the exact same amount of calories as if you walk a mile.  I had a really hard time believing that, but I looked it up and sure as shit its true.  Now obviously running will burn you more calories per hour, and strengthen your cardiovascular system better.  But I just found that interesting.

I didn't know that either, very interesting. That said, I still like running the most. I have NEVER been able to climb anything. As a kid in gym class when we had to climb ropes, I just couldn't do it. Nowadays when my buddies and I go frolfing, and the frisbees get stuck in the trees, I can't get climb. Someone else always has to do it, since my only solution is to sit back and throw shit at the tree.

My girl arms are probably why I never played football in high school. At least I've got some talent for basketball and baseball.
DERP

Variable

ha.  Ironically climbing a rope is another thing that you're supposed to execute by using your legs,

I guess we all have our Achilles heal though.  I can't run very well, you can't climb very well, and blixa.....I'm sure she has something too. 

blixa

i'm a weak swimmer. i only swim in dams and irrigated water holes:

bright lights, big city

kinda like steve-o swimming with dead kitties

DERP

Variable

I have always been a really strong swimmer.  I think it has a lot to do with me growing up in Florida.  I was on swim team when I was young.  Even made it to the Junior Olympics.  But I gave it up because I got sick of it.  I was doing really good so I guess my parents wanted to tap into that and started having me two a days.  So I would wake up early to swim, then when I got off from school and all my friends wanted to go play and stuff, I couldn't because I had to go swim.  Then my parents thought I got too good for the swim team I was on.  So we had to start driving an hour away so that I could get with a better team.  Then the coaches started making me swim with the next age group up because they said I was too good for my age group.  So pretty much I just got sick of all of it and quit. 

But swimming is still very natural to me.  I don't get a chance to do it very often, but when I do I love it.  And I'm still fast ;) lol I just have absolutely no endurance.

blixa

did you wear budgie smugglers, trey?

Variable

Is that what we call a speedo in the US?  Because if it is, yes.  And I have the pictures to prove it!

blixa

OH, GOD! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?