Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

CULT OF LUNA

Started by cEvin Key, May 10, 2008, 12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cEvin Key

Any Cult Of Luna fans?just got they're new album! i've only listened to a couple of tracks but they sound great! they're a really awesome band!

What do you guys think of them and they're new album?

www.myspace.com/cultofluna

Alvar

one of the most underrated bands today.

i have to listen to the new album for at least a hundred times to get the whole thing....

my favs right now are eternal kingdom, ghost trail, urgin and the ending of the last track, that made me smile :D

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

Zevaka

so far no metalheads agreed with me, but my opinion is that vocals ruin everything

vadimo

i love this band, saw them live in 2007 and will be again this july 1st.

love pretty much all of their albums.

wow. didn't know they had new albums coming up its so soon from the last one.

Jacob

I remember seeing them for the first time at a really small club outside my city. we were like 20-30 people in the audience, or even less maybe. I think they had only released their first two albums back then and weren't nearly as big as they are now. it's really cool having seen a band at such an early stage, then years later seeing people discuss them on an international forum.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

vadimo

sounds like cool experience, i don't think they are massive even now, just well know in the likes of ISIS and NEUROSIS music category.

check out Finland live and interview with vocalist
http://wennsrockt.de/cult-of-luna

Alvar

i really love the new record.
its not as much post-metal as on the last one and it lacks a bit in variety, so yes SATH is still my fav album.

but damnit, those songs are more than just progressive. and with the concept of the album in your mind its a crazy journey :D

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

Jacob

what is the concept?

Alvar

QuoteCult of Luna founder and guitarist Johannes Persson explains the intriguing story behind the Eternal Kingdom album concept:

"There’s a strange story behind the album and how we came up with the title.For the last couple of years we’ve been rehearsing in what is actually an old mental institution about 45 mins outside town - it was a mental institution in the 1920's - and when we cleaned out our rehearsal room we found all these boxes with junk in, that seemed like they had been forgotten for a long time. Everything from medical journals to paintings by patients and things the patients had done. And we also found a journal entitled “Tales from the Eternal Kingdom”, complete with pictures and poems and words, that a patient named Holger Nilsson had written at the time"

Johannes continues: "Holger Nilsson, we since found out was a guy that was sentenced for his wife’s murder and was incarcerated for life. The notebook shows that it was a really interesting world he was living in –we’re not claiming to be psychiatrists or anything like that and able to make a good diagnosis of his mental state, but it’s clear to us that he was notliving in our world. So basically the whole album Eternal Kingdom takes us through his disturbed world from his perspective and mind, as recounted in the journal."

"The whole story started off by him blaming her death on this gypsy-like man that he met on the road home to his village, Yttre Akulla. It seems like he drowned his wife in the creek just outside of Yttre Akulla. It was obviously a very tragic event. His wife was in labor having a baby, and he had to run to neighboring village Bygeda to get a doctor. On the way to Bygeda he met this gypsy character, and he asked him to look after his wife whilst he ran to the village for a doctor –he was only away a short time, but when he returned to her, the baby was stillborn and his wife was in really bad shape, upset about losing the child,and she died in the creek shortly afterwards. The gypsy had disappeared.

"Holger believes she was killed by the Necken. In Old Swedish folktales there is a creature called the Necken who it is believed was Satan. The Necken plays on his fiddle and lures women to their doom, like the sirens in Greek mythology tricking sailors to their death.

"During the night he sees a bright light in the forest and he starts walking towards it, sneaking through the bushes, all around the fire he sees these different animals and animal-hybrids – Kumans (half-man,half-bear). It later turns out that these are the 'evil' animals. They are dancing around faster and faster and faster, and in the middle of the ring hes ees the gypsy - as they make eye contact, the gypsy transforms into an owl/man hybrid - this Owlman is known as Ugin, the Owl King. The Owl starts to scream, which causes the animals to give chase to Holger - so he runs away back to his house.

"The next morning there’s a knock at the door, and he’s very nervous but it’s one of the “good” animals. He gets taken to the good animals that are led by the Capercally. They have some secret information. The Capercally King tells him about this wood, this forest and the schism between the good and evil animals, and the Owl King Ugin that governs this whole evilland. The good animals had some information from a spy that will give the man advantage against the evil creatures. The good animals are not fighting creatures, but they get this information that they have a good chance to attack Ugin. So they all go and fight, but the information is false and they're surrounded and captured, so the story ends up that Holgergets sent to a dungeon in a mountain. Our interpretation is that this dungeon he’s sent to is his view of his incarceration."

Johannes handed in the journal which became civic property, and is expected to be displayed in the Osterbotten museum at some point.

Johannes reflects on the impact the find made on him: "When as aband, you unexpectedly find something like this it’s not a question of IF you’re going to do something about it. It’s an epiphany, it had to be the album concept, though it was very challenging to make the album's musicre-tell the story in the journal–

:o

last.fm/user/z0z0bra

Jacob

haha, that's really cool. I gotta give the album another listen now, with that in mind.

Alvar

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iyVYedneBfk

nice new interview with johannes, who seems to be a really cool guy

last.fm/user/z0z0bra

cEvin Key

Cult of Luna's founder and guitarist Johannes Persson explains the intriguing story behind the "Eternal Kingdom" album concept:

http://www.myspace.com/cultoflunaeternalkingdom

nice stuff  :)

Jacob

dude, look up a couple of posts ;)

cEvin Key

Quote from: aenemic on Jun 03, 2008, 06:40 PM

don't see the link posted anywhere...i've only found about it today.

if you're talking about the sentence...just saving some work by doing copy paste =P.

Alvar

...and finally my dreams come true, a fucking live dvd

i`m gonna see them in a couple of weeks together with the ocean collective, who will also be their supporters at this filmed show

last.fm/user/z0z0bra

Jacob

Quote from: cEvin Key on Jun 03, 2008, 06:53 PM
Quote from: aenemic on Jun 03, 2008, 06:40 PM

don't see the link posted anywhere...i've only found about it today.

if you're talking about the sentence...just saving some work by doing copy paste =P.

Alvar posted that entire article a few posts up, that's what I meant ;)

and Alvar - that's fucking awesome. I've seen them live a few times and they always out on one hell of a show.

vadimo

hey anyone got anything new to add to this thread??

i have!

i saw them live for 2nd time in London Scala on the 01.07.2008, i was shocked by how good they plaid, it was just AMAZING, band plaid with so much energy, i have never seen COL like that, they are typically very static band, brilliant setlist, a number of songs were plaid which they stopped playing for last 4 years.

Anyway my opinion;
Performances: 5/5
Sound: 5/5
Venue: 5/5
Setlist: 5/5

This DVD will rock, cant wait.
PS: Eternal Kingdom CD is great too, best track: Following Betulas

Alvar

yea i was also going to see them, but they didnt arrive at the venue in marburg as you can read on their homepage (i drove 200 fuckin km to catch this show, and it was the only one they ever had to cancel)  >:(

eternal kingdom is definitely a masterpiece, just like all of their albums. my favorite track so far is ghost trail, but curse, owlwood and following betulas are also amazing.

here is a nice video of ghost trail:

pt1
[youtube=425,350]7WKGxInQY7c[/youtube]

pt2
[youtube=425,350]vbCL9TnDoiQ[/youtube]

i hope the DVD will be released soon.

last.fm/user/z0z0bra

Slacker

vadimo

has anyone ever noticed that during "Somewhere Along the Highway" era their vocalist (Klas Rydberg) was never present on stage, now in 'Eternal Kingdom' he is back on stage, i assumed that maybe he quit the band after 'Salvation' era and now reunited with the band???

After Scala show i asked him whether he left the band after Salvation and he said "no i was always there!"

anyone knows more about this?

can someone tell if im wrong