Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

the seattle scene

Started by kalhan, May 29, 2008, 09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalhan

i was listening to mudhoney (fucking amazing, fyi) and i couldn't think of more bands that happen to have that seattle grunge sound... other than, say, alice in chains.

i've been listening to sonic youth for about 9 years now and i still don't get tired of it, there's a certain amount of energy in each riff that's really captivating... nirvana would be the obvious mention here but what about something underground... from, say, the 2000s?

any recommendations?

theis

pearl jam,
soundgarden,
temple of the dog,
mad season,

etc...

Jacob

except for the obvious grunge/seatlle-rock bands (that Az mentioned above) there are some more obscure bands that never really entered the mainstream. The Melvins, Screaming Trees and Mother Love Bone are a few. then there are even more underground bands that aren't really any good as far as I know.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Mascara Snake

Screaming Trees are one of the great bands from that time that never got the recognition they deserved, Start with 'Sweet Oblivion' then 'Dust' then work your way backwards, you wont be disappointed.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

fireflyry

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

samson simpson

send me my flannel tee dammIT!

whodunit?

it has died in 1994, thank god...

fireflyry

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

defskull

Since 2000s right? Why are these all pre 2000s?

How about These Arms are Snakes, Fall Of Troy, Blood Brothers, Botch, Minus The bear?

EDIT: Whoops this is grunge only. Nevermind.

moonlapse vertigo

Quote from: defskull on May 30, 2008, 11:01 PM
Since 2000s right? Why are these all pre 2000s?
EDIT: Whoops this is grunge only. Nevermind.

LOL

its a pun.

kalhan

heh

screaming trees is good stuff... the production work on their recordings could've been a bit better though

tarkil

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

rainnyx4

Sunny Day Real Estate was from Seattle, though not terribly grunge.

kalhan

has anyone heard the new mudhoney record?

indychinoluv

All great bands.

there is also Mad Season (AIC, Screaming trees and Pearl jam superband). Above is a wicked album

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

theis

E-Money

Fleet Foxes are from Washington.   I think some of them are from the Seattle area.....amazing band tho. Great music for this time of year.

Jacob

I love Fleet Foxes. not exacly grungy but they definitely have that vibe about them.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

No More Sugar

i guess this is can be the new grunge thread since the one i made got deleted in the wipeout recently.

Green River.
QuoteSome one tell me shut up.