Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Picking a new amp

Started by bartdaddy12, Jun 09, 2008, 11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartdaddy12

Hey guys, Im looking into gettin a new amp. I dont need some crazy amazing guitar amp, just something that is really really solid for playing at home and maybe a few smaller gigs, but probably not. This amp would be one that I buy and keep for a very very long time so I want to make sure its a good one. Im lookin for really good tone...both clean and overdrive, I use a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal as well.

I have sort of narrowed it down to these two..
Fender 100 watt
Fender 65 watt

This is the model I have kind of narrowed it down to. I have heard lots of good things about Fender amps.

So here a few of my questions...

-First, is there a big difference between 65 and 100 watt? Sound wise? I will probably get the 100, but if 65 is exactly the same except maybe not quite as loud then I could go with the 65
-Are these good amps, from any of your guys knowledge or experience?
-How good do they sound? How do they sound for the money?
-Do you have any other recommendations that are within the same price range, maybe a little bit higher?

Im obviously going to play these amps before I buy one, its just that I want to go into the stores with amps in mind and a purpose. Otherwise I will get distracted stay in there forever and never be able to make a decision.

Also, if you have any recommendations for any guitar multi-effects pedals that are really great, as that is my next purchase after a solid amp. For those I am more interested in the different rock/distortion effects and how they sound.

Thanks in advance!!!

oh and while im on this subject...what kind of electric guitar strings do you guys all prefer? I like to try new ones. Thanks again!

Deftones-argentina

while Fender's clean chanel is gorgeous, I dislike the overdriven chanel. With that said, I'd highly recommend you to try the amp with your own guitar, so that you won't regret it.

NiChe

I would have to recommend anything from the Marshall MG Series.

In your price range would probably be the 50 Watt MG50DFX or the 100 watt MG100DFX

I use the 50 watt with a boss Metalcore pedal and it is awesome.

The MG series are Marshalls 'affordable' amps but they are extremely well made and sound amazing.

The amp has clean and od channels, both sound really nice and natural,  especially the overdrive. Not only that but it has 4 digital effects built in, Reverb, Chorus, Delay and Flange.  All of which sound perfect with the amp.

If you go to the shop, give it a wirl, I think you'll agree it's total value for money.

(on the strings, I use ernie ball standard slinkies or skinny top heavy bottoms. Get a real nice tone out of the skinny top, heavy bottom.)

moonlapse vertigo

i have a Fender Frontman 25-watt and it goes pretty loud, so I'm guessing you're buying this amp to play live. i say 65 watts should already be more enough, if you got the 100 you'd be spending extra money on unnecessary wattage, but i dont know exactly how loud you want to go.

i use an Ibanez strung with D'Addarios and a Boss Wah pedal. I think the amp's built-in distortion sounds pretty good and it comes with several modulation effects: Delay, Reverb, Reverb-Delay, Chorus, Chorus-Reverb, Chorus-Delay, Flange, and Tremolo. The Frontman has a 65 watt model, you should check it out.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2316100000

bartdaddy12

I also thought about Marshall amps as well, and did play a few. and yeah I think they sound great....they are just a bit above my price range as of right now, but I may spend the extra for it.

I think I would probably do the 65 watt, I have a 30 now, and that gets pretty loud.

So as of now I am still debating the 65 watt Fender Frontman and the Marshall MG50DFX (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG50DFX-Combo-Amp-101737815-i1145939.gc)

More leaning towards the fender because I just love their clean sound....

**but Deftones-argentina, you said you dont like the overdrive. Is that a personal opinion or does it really not sound too great? Cause remember I do have a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal that I use, so yeah..... I am going to play my guitar on it, but I will also play other guitars on it as well, as in the semi-near future I will be getting a new guitar.

Any other tips or info or personal experience?

Thanks!!!

Ras Juda Selassie I

bartdaddy12

ya that is an amazing amp, only way way way out of my price range...haha

Deftones-argentina

Quote from: bartdaddy12 on Jun 09, 2008, 09:35 PM
I also thought about Marshall amps as well, and did play a few. and yeah I think they sound great....they are just a bit above my price range as of right now, but I may spend the extra for it.

I think I would probably do the 65 watt, I have a 30 now, and that gets pretty loud.

So as of now I am still debating the 65 watt Fender Frontman and the Marshall MG50DFX (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG50DFX-Combo-Amp-101737815-i1145939.gc)

More leaning towards the fender because I just love their clean sound....

**but Deftones-argentina, you said you dont like the overdrive. Is that a personal opinion or does it really not sound too great? Cause remember I do have a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal that I use, so yeah..... I am going to play my guitar on it, but I will also play other guitars on it as well, as in the semi-near future I will be getting a new guitar.

Any other tips or info or personal experience?

Thanks!!!

You know, I tried a fender a week ago with a Ibanez plugged (seymour duncan pick ups), and what I felt is that there was no definition at all. Even the power chords didn't sound clear enough to my surprise. But that varies on each model, I don't believe ALL fender dist's are going to suck.

bartdaddy12

but do you think since i use a pedal for my distortion that that would be different? like not using the amps drive channel? not sayin that i would get it if i don tthink it sounds good without the pedal, but im curious

NiChe

overdrive and distortion are not the same dude

kalhan

if you want a metal-ish drive, pick up a marshall 100. if you're looking for a grunge/bluesy drive go for the fender100... it's a pretty amp.

ALWAYS take drive from the amp. always. don't ever make an exception, even if you have a kickass analog overdrive pedal...

distortion is okay from a pedal

Oldnewtype

i have a fender princeton chorus and the distortion sounds good to me.

I'm a fucking loser though, i just play metallica and iron maiden songs all day.

LIFEAFTERDEATH

if you want the scoop down then listen up.

TUBES. yes Tube amps is what ya need. And i see money is a problem? why? do you not have a job? or just not patience?

save up a couple paychecks, even on opressive american minimum wage you can score a good tube amp off ebay in a month or two and have somthing really good. get a jcm800 combo or somthing, for a thousand. anything. if you want quality.

kalhan

*agrees*

stef uses drive straight from the tubes... so does tom morello... and andreas kisser

indychinoluv

Quote from: kalhan on Jun 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
*agrees*

stef uses drive straight from the tubes... so does tom morello... and andreas kisser
I agree. You can't beat tubes! Personally I use my tubes for drive cause it gives a nice round bottom end (I pretty much cut the bass and treble and turns the mids right up).

As long as your happy with the clean sound, is should sound fine with a pedal.

Are you planning on using it live or just for practise?

bartdaddy12

im finally getting good enough to play some smaller shows, so it would be for both.

indychinoluv

Quote from: bartdaddy12 on Jun 16, 2008, 02:11 AM
im finally getting good enough to play some smaller shows, so it would be for both.
go for  Head and cabinet. Don't recomend a combo.

fuck brand names. Just get the loadest one there.