Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Team Sleep timeline from Todd...

Started by 13hourstoparadise, Jun 18, 2008, 08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

13hourstoparadise

Chino and I put our money together to buy a cassette four-track recorder. We started making recordings but, we were easily distracted . . . drinks etc.

We met D.J. Crook through Frank Delgado. At the time, I lived with Frank, who had recently moved to Sacramento from Los Angeles. Crook, who still lived in L.A., visited Frank to work on music and we became friends.

Chino, Crook and I first discussed making a record together and began trading four-track tapes. We didn't have a name for the band yet and thought we would release the record on the Internet.

April 2001

We agreed on the name Team Sleep. Maverick decided to release the record.

May 2001

Chino, Crook and I went to Seattle to record with Terry Date at Bear Creek and recorded twelve instrumentals. Abe Cunningham played drums on one song and an instrumental interlude. The rest have drums programmed by Crook or no drums.

June 2001

Chino introduced me to Zach right before we went to Seattle. When I returned, Zach and I began writing songs together and recording demos.

September 2001

We recorded three new songs and a Cure cover at Retrofit Studio in Sacramento. The songs are "Iceache," "Acoustic Two" and "Natalie." We sent the songs we recorded in Seattle to Mary Timony and she recorded vocals for three songs, including "Ligeia."

October-November 2001

We recorded two new songs, "Blvd. Nights" and "Solid Gold," and another version of "Natalie" at The Spot in Sacramento. Mike Patton recorded vocals and other sounds for the song "Kool Aid."

December 2001

About ten days before we left for tour, Rick Verret joined to play bass. We played our first warm-up show at Old Ironsides in Sacramento, then we went on tour playing 11 shows from Seattle to San Diego. During the shows, our friend Sonny Mayugba played guitar on a few songs.

April 2002

We rewrote the song "Cambodia," and went to Los Angeles to record it with Greg Wells. The new version is called "Foreign Flag." While in Los Angeles we found out that incomplete versions of all of the songs we planned to use had been leaked to the Internet. Power 106 in Los Angeles began playing "Mercedes" on the radio.

June 2002

Show at Harlow's in Sacramento; Our friend Dan Elkan joined us on guitar.

April 2003

Because the songs were leaked to the Internet, we decided to record more. We recorded two songs with Ross Robinson at Sound City in Burbank. The songs are new versions of previously recorded songs "Natalie" and "Blvd. Nights."

May 2003

The Team Sleep song, "The Passportal" was released on the soundtrack to the movie "The Matrix: Reloaded"

June-July 2003

While Deftones were on tour, Zach and Crook and I recorded six new songs with Greg Wells at Rocket Carousel studio.

15 March 2004

At the last minute, Team Sleep was invited to honor Metallica at a regional awards ceremony presented by the Recording Academy. The ceremony was held at the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco.

August 2004

We are currently putting the finishing touches on the record: recording a few overdubs and mixing. We have 21 songs and interludes that we are considering for the record. Zach, Crook and I have continued to write and demo songs. At this point, we have about 15 new songs written.

-Todd Wilkinson

wither-I

"coming into the nearness of distance"

lxix

Hang on, so they recorded 3 different versions of Natalie?

dictatesofreason

yeah nat portman on unmastered
live from the stage from S/T
and a a total instrumental from brolyhill demos
im pretty sure

13hourstoparadise

Yup... The natalie portman version (live) at the glass house in '01 is my favorite (more like live from the stage)... Besides the stupid bitches screaming "chino" the whole time... Fuck, that shit is annoying.

Martin

Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Jun 18, 2008, 08:25 AM
September 2001

We recorded three new songs and a Cure cover at Retrofit Studio in Sacramento. The songs are "Iceache," "Acoustic Two" and "Natalie." We sent the songs we recorded in Seattle to Mary Timony and she recorded vocals for three songs, including "Ligeia."

Three songs? So there's 'Ligeia', 'Let's Go'...aannnnddd..another one!

Mikey

Quote from: Tuck on Jun 22, 2008, 02:44 PM
September 2001

most likely king diamond... but it would be cool if they had another song with her on vox.

Martin

Quote from: mhrodrig on Jun 23, 2008, 10:01 PM
Quote from: Tuck on Jun 22, 2008, 02:44 PM
September 2001

most likely king diamond... but it would be cool if they had another song with her on vox.

Ow yeah, that's right, she's on King Diamond...totally forgat that, I never listen to that version, only to the demo version.

13hourstoparadise

I'm still trying to figure out what everyone was thinking when they recorded 'Dead at the Kool-Air Party'. Holy shit that song is terrible... Just my opinion.

I hope they lay down some tracks with Rob Crow again...

Deftones-argentina

Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Jun 24, 2008, 12:25 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what everyone was thinking when they recorded 'Dead at the Kool-Air Party'. Holy shit that song is terrible... Just my opinion.

I hope they lay down some tracks with Rob Crow again...

yeah, I agree, that guy has good chemistry with the band. Plus, his voice makes me remember Frodus's bassist' (actually The out_circuit).

13hourstoparadise

Rob Crow hands down is just fucking amazing...

Pinback's 'good to sea', and 'sender'. That's some talent. Also live Rob sounds exactly like his albums... Pinback live is fantastic.

13hourstoparadise

I can't wait, they need to release an EP soon...  :-X

lxix

I miss these guys! To me Team Sleep will always be Todd, Crook & Chino.... Hope Chino finds time for them soon

snw9

So there are 3 versions of Natalie right?
The first one on the team sleep unmastered album 2002
Second on the team sleep demos 2005, the remix
Third on the s/t which is live from the stage
Code: [Select]