Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Money and You

Started by Fireal1222, Jul 03, 2008, 05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireal1222

how is your life financially

i see that some members here have some crazy houses. and some are more like me and just have a nice house in or around the city.

i know that things have been crazy as far as rising prices. and job loss

i was just wondering. what do you guys do for a living.. what kind of money are you pulling. and who do you live with

to answer my own question.. i live in city that is hard to describe.. most of the cities surrounding mine are on the mountains and in the woods. so they are huge beautiful houses

my city itself has turned into a dump in the past 15 years.. luckily my street and neighborhood is alright. but at night time its a pretty crazy city.. my parents both make decent money. and i see that if i get myself a new job right now. and make more money. i will be able to save a lot more and really have a nice future ahead of me

thats downtown wilkes barre. its a pretty big city. but the downtown is just a small piece

if you follow that river to the left for about a mile. that is where i live.. about 2 minutes driving distance from what you see in that picture..

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

devilinside

I live in a small town in Tennessee with my kids. I own my house,I am a photographer,and I make pretty good money. lol  But granted I make pretty good money,I still have debt that I am working off. I honestly hate the stress that owning shit comes with.

Fireal1222

yes. your house is beautiful.

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

White Pwny

I live in a "decent" town.... It's small and it hasn't been thriving very well over the last 10 years.   I live with my husband and my children.... He works in a factory and makes the best money he can in this town.   I have been working on the photography aspect, and it is FINALLY going somewhere.  I guess I was a little nervous to get my stuff out there.. and now that I've shown a tad of it.. I have shoots lined up.   =o)   So, I will be making pretty good money as well.   That will help out immensly.    Both of our cars are beaters, but they are good to get us where we need to go, and they are paid off... NO DEBT with that at all.  We have no credit cards... we have none of that bullshit.   The money that comes in pays utilities and house payment, and the rest is in our pockets.     Sometimes I think I'd love a new car.... but then I stop and think about the car payment, and to be honest with you, I'm happy not paying the extra when I don't fucking have to.    =o)  So all in all, I'd say we are fairly comfortable.
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

Fireal1222

i'm really just trying to find good ways of making money when you are young. im trying to get a new job. and i was looking for advice

my one friend is loaded. he inspires me to be rich as fuck as well.. he might open a beer distributor. and if he does. i'll be set with a good job

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Zevaka

i live in apartment, not house. Here nobody lives in houses. It's not very large (as far as i can see about ~70 square meters? i believe that is), and we have 4 members in our family.
yeah, we have house 7 km from our town  with big territory that also belongs to us (that gives good crop every year, i think about a half square km, maybe more) near the city. But it's not cool at all. There is no phone system there even. And our house is pretty old.

But i'm happy. We [family] don't spend much on useless things, so we all have pretty much cash at any moment of time. So i can drink the best beer i can find ;)

mrs_swa

I live in a small midwest town with tons of corn fields, churches, bars, and hair salons, lol.  I live with my husband and our 3 daughters, in a decent house, my vehicle is completely paid off, we have a mortgage, and the husband has his truck payment, which he is trying to get rid of, a Dodge Ram V-8 HEMI, as we have found a nice old farmhouse in the country on almost 3 acres with barns and outbuildings and all that, which we want really bad!  Umm, we have some credit card debt, but nothing major.  He works as a Manufacturing Engineering technician and makes the best available wage for this area, which is good.  I work in a hair salon on Saturdays, but am trying to figure out babysitting arrangments so I can move to a better salon with better clientele, which will bring in more money for me :).  I also do my friends' hair at home.   I guess that's it... :-\
...blow the Universe into nothingNESS.  nuclear warfare shall lay us to rest...

Variable

If you dont mind going to war, you can save a lot of money in the military.  When you are deployed all of your income is tax free.  Plus you start getting all kinds of combat pay.  And you dont have a god dam thing to spend it on.  So it just goes into you band account and stays there.  I would say on average.  If you are forward deployed to a base that doesn't have a PX.  You will come home with 20,000 in your bank account. 

But obviously education is a good ticket to more money.  Not like a philosophy degree or something useless.  But law or medical degree.  Something like that.  A degree that serves a specific purpose.  Also though just how you invest your money will make a huge difference.  If anyone on this board doesn't have some sort of an IRA , go slap yourself and then get one.  There are lots of very low risk programs out there that will return your money anywhere from 7-14% if you just look for them.  Its just really important not to have your money in a savings account that maybe gets 1% interest when inflation is at 5%.  You are losing money by having it sit there.  Make sure that your money is always returning higher than, or at least equal to inflation. 

devilinside

I have money,and my kids have savings accounts out at the TVA credit union (government) and it gets 5% interest.

samson simpson

i have a 2000 year old ancient hebrew knife that my grandma left me...

watch for the "Forbes" cover coming soon

Variable

Quote from: devilinside on Jul 04, 2008, 02:24 AM
I have money,and my kids have savings accounts out at the TVA credit union (government) and it gets 5% interest.
dam.  That is realy really goog for a savings account.  But I still think that is lower than inflation.  Inflation is stupid high right now

4th Eye

I live in a city of roughly 100,000 people, in an apartment that's located on the crossing of two intersecting main streets. Lived there with my girlfriend since mid-may. The rent isn't too bad considering the location and size of the apartment and we're paying it together so it's even less.

I work as a mechanical designer and the salary is quite good even though I'm still a trainee. When I graduate on october (hopefully), my salary rises probably even 50%, I'd guess. So I'm doing good even though lately I've been spending a shitload of money on our moving and all those festivals and other happenings.

All in all, things have changed a bit since times in school and now I don't have to worry if a second beer drives me bankrupt.

tarkil

As most of you know already, I live in HK.
I'm working in a bank here, and life here is not that expensive, so I'm pretty much OK with my money earnings...

My broke student time is long gone now, and thank god for that....

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

indychinoluv

I live in windy wellington. Imn a part time teacher and work the other half for a educational toy company .
I make OK money. My gf and I own our own house. We have a shitty mortgage. My gf makes more money than me, so we live pretty well (that'll change when I knock her up though). I still have a student loan, but my gf doesn't. We're both pretty good with money (Kirsty's better though).

Wellington's nice. We have an awsome harbour , fuck all crime. meth (we call it P)  has only really come here (about two years ago),  heaps of live music, the best super 12 rugby team on the planet (Hurricanes), and heaps of things to do (hikes, fishing trips, surfing etc). It gets pretty fucking cold here though.

We have crazy wind turbines, lots of hills and heaps of earthquakes (one of our main highways is on reformed land ON a faultline!!!).

Thats our harbor city

goldpony

i live in a mid size city, and work for the red cross. its pretty decent money, i am able to afford most everything we need. i own my own home and have two cars. I have fuckloads of student debt that i cant wait to get rid of (only 4 more years ;D). I went to school for medical technology and am a board certified medical technologist (basically a glorified lab rat). go to school kids (university, trade, etc.), its worth it
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

devilinside

Ooh thats pretty!

Here's my tiny town...lol

wither-I

all i could ever want in life is more money and machines of man.

ever.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

lithium

i live in a box outside a fast food restaurant, i cry myself to sleep, and i pee myself at the thought of my mother.

...other than that i'm doing pretty good.
💩

ToneDef

Financially I'm a little unstable. Not fucked though, just not secure.

I work full time right now and have been for like 5 or 6 years but soon I'm going back to college and I'll train to be a painter and decorator. In the two years it takes to train I'll be working part time earning shit money. All I really own that costs money is my car.

I still live at home so I guess when I'm back at school I wont have to pay shit to live there, you know? I really just need money for food, my girl, shit here and there and my car. I owe my stepdad £1200 too so I gotta pay that back over time. I have a savings account I shoud really try to fill all the time aswell to help out a bit in the future.

My plan though is to go self employed as a painter in around 2 years time.

Right now my car is fucking up. The engine keeps cutting out at junctions and I'm praying it doesn't do it at a roundabout or some shit. Apparently it's common in the car I own. I really hope it doesn't cost too much to fix. As a result I gotta get some breakdown cover soonish which will also cost money. It pisses me off because I love this fucking car.

Jacob

I live in Stockholm, capital of Sweden. I just moved here and haven't got my own place yet, so right now I'm living with my brother and his girlfriend. they have a really nice apartment in one of the nicer parts of the city. actually, this whole area is really new and they're still building it. I don't think any of the houses here are older than 6-8 years. the whole place looks really nice. not extremely luxurous or anything, but pretty fancy and modern. it's down by the water so there are a lot of boats and shit too. when I do find my own place I won't be able to live in such a nice area anymore which kind of sucks. but at the same time, I'd rather have my own place.

as for money, I'm pretty much a trainee and don't earn a lot yet. but there are four of us in the company (me, my brother, my cousin and a friend of mine) and we're doing great. I'm learning quickly and eventually I'll get full employment and become a part owner. then hopefully the money will start pouring in.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep