Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

furious pipes

Started by alvarezbassist17, Jul 17, 2008, 12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alvarezbassist17

tell me about your favorite screamers, growlers, bellowers and snarlers.  here are some of mine:

1. Fireal's mom
2. Trevor Strnad - black dahlia murder:  i absolutely adore trevor's almost-sounding-like-two-completely-different-dude's approach.  his vocals have gotten way better every cd, he just gets more and more variation, clarity and heaviness with every release they've had.  a few good examples are "everything went black" and "virally yours" (his best vocal performance imo) he's really good live too
3. Hernan Hermida - all shall perish: definitely some of the best range i've ever heard in a screamer, maybe it's just how he changes is up so much, but "eradication" and "wage slaves" just show his vocal prowess.  their two new tracks have some awesome vocals from him too.
4. Jonny Davy - job for a cowboy: his vocals on their first EP "Doom" were pretty good, he used to do the pig squeal thing too much on all the songs but number 2, but his vocals on their latest CD "Genesis" are some of my favorite i've ever heard.  his style is so much better now, i love his bellow and when he does his staccato bellow, like in "bearing the serpent's lamb," my favorite song by them vocally.  
5. Mikael Ã…kerfeldt - Opeth: his growl is really good, really fits the music that they play well.  it can be a tad monotonous, but it's better than a lot of people's.  what makes him stand out to me is his clean vocals, if i may digress somewhat.  definitely one of the best senses of melody i've ever heard in my fucking life.  but his growl is pretty effin heavy too.
6. Chino - one of the first screamers i ever heard, and definitely the first screaming band to ever be by favorite.  just great, you all know already.
7. Dan Weyandt - ZAO: really changes up the vocals (specifically his pitch and amount of snarl) on all their cds, and always keeps it consistently good and heavy.  
8. Schuylar Croom - He Is Legend: his screams on their first two releases were pretty good, but on their latest release, "suck out the poison," he just gets this like whiskey-tinged graveliness that just like chills you to the bone.
9. Nate Johnson - Through the Eyes of the Dead: i love this band, they've been a favorite deathcore band of mine for awhile now, and i was kind of sad when anthony gunnells left, but i was super chapped when nate left after only one album.  his voice is just so deep and heavy, it worked great for their style.  i can totally imitate his vocals in "failure in the flesh" off of malice.  
10. Rody Walker - Protest the Hero: very good variation in his pitches and he's awesome at going from screaming to singing and back again like it's nada.  great range too.
11. Gary Forsyth - Swift:  great hard-soft contrast, especially on "the absolute uncontrollable."  "when people collude" has my favorite vocals by him.

honorable mentions:
anthony green (saosin)
nergal (behemoth)
jeffrey moreira (poison the well)
aaron turner (isis)
keith buckley (every time i die)
nathan explosion (dethklok) haha
jacob bannon (converge)
jake luhr (august burns red)
vincent bennett (the acacia strain)

many more out there, tell me mooooore \m/

wither-I

chino
and darryl palumbo
and aaron weiss (although its more like a pleading yelp)

thats all folks

"coming into the nearness of distance"

glassdomino

Jens Kidman of Meshuggah

kalhan

i think chino on when girls telephone boys beats em all...

screaming>>>growling

oldgentlovecraft

Kick ass picks Alvarez, especially Forsyth (another Swift fan, nice) and Croom (doesn't get enough credit).

Alan Dubin - Khanate
Jason Mendonca - Akercocke
J. R. Hayes - Pig Destroyer
Malefic - Xasthur
Randy Blythe - Lamb of God
Jon Spencer - Scarlet/Spitfire

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jul 17, 2008, 06:37 PM
Kick ass picks Alvarez, especially Forsyth (another Swift fan, nice) and Croom (doesn't get enough credit).

Alan Dubin - Khanate
Jason Mendonca - Akercocke
J. R. Hayes - Pig Destroyer
Malefic - Xasthur
Randy Blythe - Lamb of God
Jon Spencer - Scarlet/Spitfire

thanks doggie, i dig jon spencer too, he's good shit.

Quote from: kalhan on Jul 17, 2008, 05:06 PM
i think chino on when girls telephone boys beats em all...

screaming>>>growling

um not always.  dude chino is great, but there are facets of other peoples' talents that are better than his, especially in the screaming category.  get up off his nutts.

theis

Mike Patton (he can do whatever he wants with his voice. his screams, growls and squeals are still not to be messed with)
Randy Blythe (Lamb of God...beast)
Mikael Ã…kerfeldt (Opeth)
Caleb Scofield (Cave In)
Greg Puciato (Dillinger Escape Plan)
Joe Duplantier (Gojira)
Scott Kelly, Steve Von Till, Dave Edwardson (Neurosis)
Troy Sanders (Mastodon...SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER!)
Aaron Turner (Isis)
John Baizley (Baroness)
Keith Buckley (Every Time I Die)
Matt Pike (High on Fire)
Jeff Moreira (Poison the Well)
Dustin Kensrue (Thrice)
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Jeffrey Walker (Carcass)

Crazylegs

Quote from: theis on Jun 13, 2012, 02:36 PM

That part is done by neil fallon of clutch i believe.

theis

Quote from: Crazylegs on Jun 13, 2012, 02:56 PM
Quote from: theis on Jun 13, 2012, 02:36 PM

That part is done by neil fallon of clutch i believe.

Yeah, I know, but when he does it live it sounds so awesome.

Crazylegs

a good line for growling too i guess.

occipudding

Dave Owen of Codeseven (when they were a hardcore band) was always a favorite of mine
machete!  meow

alvarezbassist17

Haha theis, it took you 4 years to put your list together?? :P

My list would still look about the same, gotta add Spencer Chamberlain of Underoath, Randy Blythe and Mathieu "Matt" Paquette (RIP) from Beheading of a King.

Trevor Strnad still tops the list though, by even a greater margin since their last two CDs.  He's fucking great.

theis

Haha, I was just browsing through old threads and found this. Thought I'd contribute.

Gotta add the singer from Black Dahlia Murder to my list. Been going through their albums lately and that dude can scream/growl his guts out. Impressed.