Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Stoner/Sludge/Doom

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Jul 17, 2008, 04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

I already started a metal thread but there wasn't much discussion of doom and its variations so we can recommend and discuss the strange and plodding behemoth that is doom in this thread.

Current Favorites:  Khanate (drone/doom), Bongzilla (stoner doom), Catacombs (funeral doom)

whodunit?

jeez, I love these genres but when I've first listened to Sunn O))) I was sick for 4 days...

Zevaka

I like Doomgaze a lot. It's something like drone+doom

Favs are The Angelic Process, early Jesu, Vanessa Van Basten and some others

Never was into pure  doom. Too metal for me.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: whodunit? on Jul 17, 2008, 04:50 PM
jeez, I love these genres but when I've first listened to Sunn O))) I was sick for 4 days...

Lol as a result of listening to Sunn O)))?  Drone is such a hit or miss genre but there are some amazing groups out there.  Try Black Boned Angel.

Quote from: Zevaka on Jul 17, 2008, 06:13 PM
I like Doomgaze a lot. It's something like drone+doom

Favs are The Angelic Process, early Jesu, Vanessa Van Basten and some others

Never was into pure  doom. Too metal for me.

It's funny that you say that since I don't like doomgaze considering it isn't metal enough.  I heard Nadja and thought it was just shoegaze until someone mentioned it was called doomgaze and that made me laugh.  Differents strokes.  I do like Jesu if I'm in the mood though.

Oldnewtype

Bongzilla is fucking cool.

Definitely check out Sleep. I'll upload some when I get home.

oldgentlovecraft

Yeah, I just recently got into Bongzilla and I'm hooked for sure.  Have heard a few Sleep tracks and liked them.  Earth is also pretty damn good.

Alvar

i like some sunn o))), earth, fear falls burning, nadja and - of course - jesu.

if you like ambient-electronic-drone you NEED to check out Harmony In Ultraviolet

i am also into alot of sludge/doom metal. there is so much atmospherical-doom metal stuff out there these days, i keep discovering new bands every day :D

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

platp116

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jul 17, 2008, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I just recently got into Bongzilla and I'm hooked for sure.  Have heard a few Sleep tracks and liked them.

Everyone should be required to hear Dopesmoker by Sleep at least once.  That album is simply mind-blowing.  If you blast it on a decent soundsystem with the right mix it essentially will blow your head right off.  Plus some of the lyrics are ridiculous enough to make you laugh out loud.

Nailec

when i first listened to "barthory erzsebet" of sunn o))) 's black one i felt fear for the first time ever when listening to music.

i would also say that i never had such a strong emotion (may it be excitement, gladness etc.) to any kind of music.

i listened to it at 3 at night with my headphones on in the dark. i refused to get out of my bed afterwarts for 10 minutes or so.

oldgentlovecraft

Some of that drone is ridiculously overwhelming but that's what makes it great.  That's why I enjoy some of the funeral doom as well.  Try Catacombs cranked up full blast and tell me it isn't creepy.

Zevaka

Have anyone checked The Goslings?

oldgentlovecraft

No, what do they sound like?

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

I love doom and stonery shit.

Boris, Electric Wizard, Sunn0))), Earth, Khanate, Baroness is doomy at times, Eyehategod, Fu Manchu, Bongzilla, Orange Goblin, Goatsnake, Graves at Sea, Kinski, Middian, Minsk...there's a butt-ton more that I dig on.

A good resource for finding doom, drone and stoner rock bands is www.stonerrock.com

lostpilot

Jesu!
Though latest releases are really bad

Alvar

Quote from: bored on Jul 23, 2008, 12:56 PM
Jesu!

..lets say, they are different.

is anyone here into pyramids? i like this band very much. its disturbing but beautiful.

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

goldpony

"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

4th Eye

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Jul 23, 2008, 08:24 AM
Electric Wizard..........Minsk

Just downloaded albums by each bands, "Witchcult Today" and "Out Of A Center Which Is Neither Dead Nor Alive", respectively.

Though I've known Electric Wizard longer, I've never actually listened to them but first glimpses seem promising.

A review I read about that Minsk's album seemed promising too: "There is nothing happy about this band. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. There is no hope, no glimmer of better things to come or brighter tomorrows, only the crass, cold reality of the void that is here and now."  :)
Sludge/doom/neurosis-kind stuff.

Also downloaded "Lost To The Living" by a doom/death band called Daylight Dies. Sounds ok.

Zevaka

Quote from: Alvar on Jul 23, 2008, 06:40 PM
Jesu!

is anyone here into pyramids? i like this band very much. its disturbing but beautiful.
i think there're at least 3 bands with this name... i know screamo hardcore pyramids, indie pop pyramids, and now drone?

Alvar

Quote from: Zevaka on Jul 24, 2008, 11:07 AM
Quote from: Alvar on Jul 23, 2008, 06:40 PM
Jesu!

i think there're at least 3 bands with this name... i know screamo hardcore pyramids, indie pop pyramids, and now drone?

yes, its ambient-style drone. i think there are a few guys of kayo dot in this band, but there is not much information.

you can listen to their album online on their site

last.fm/user/z0z0bra

oldgentlovecraft

Just bought the Relapse Contamination Festival DVD.  Has live performances by Daylight Dies, Bongzilla, Neurosis, Alabama Thunderpussy and Mastodon.  Good shit. 

Quote from: goldpony on Jul 24, 2008, 12:00 AM
melvins ftw!

Melvins always have a special place in my top lists.

Quote from: 4th Eye on Jul 24, 2008, 08:54 AM
Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Jul 23, 2008, 08:24 AM
Electric Wizard..........Minsk

Just downloaded albums by each bands, "Witchcult Today" and "Out Of A Center Which Is Neither Dead Nor Alive", respectively.

Though I've known Electric Wizard longer, I've never actually listened to them but first glimpses seem promising.

A review I read about that Minsk's album seemed promising too: "There is nothing happy about this band. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. There is no hope, no glimmer of better things to come or brighter tomorrows, only the crass, cold reality of the void that is here and now."  :)
Sludge/doom/neurosis-kind stuff.

Also downloaded "Lost To The Living" by a doom/death band called Daylight Dies. Sounds ok.

Electric Wizard is badass and you can't go wrong with any of their albums.  A bit unfamiliar with Minsk (have heard but do not own) but enjoy Daylight Dies a bit. 

Anybody like Bloody Panda?