watchmen

Started by theis, Jul 20, 2008, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: devlin on Mar 19, 2009, 01:39 AM
Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Mar 18, 2009, 05:34 AM
Quote from: penguin in the desert on Mar 17, 2009, 11:23 PM
Jeez, this is getting out of hand.

Please stay on topic and stop poisoning the board with fanatic bullshit.

Thank you for having the most beautiful sig from the most beautiful movie.

what movie? i don't recognize it.

Oldboy. Park Chan-Wook's second in the revenge trilogy.

Quote from: wither-I on Mar 18, 2009, 07:15 PM
i'll expect nothing of an intelligent response from you then :)

Yeah, he's the only slanderer here...

theis

I just saw it.

Let it be said that my expectations were very low.

Wow, I absolutely LOVED it. Brilliant movie. I was hooked from start to finish. Everything worked smoothly and the flashbacks were fantasticly done.
I was worried about the use of slow-mo, but it was just the right amount. The fightscenes were fucking awesome.

I definitely need to see it again since there's so much in it to grasp. I'm glad that Snyder redeemed himself from the piece of shit called 300.

I have none to very few complaints (rather nitpicking since it doesn't ruin the movie in any way). Playing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" in the sex scene was rather out of place. Also, I'd wish they'd left out that genetic manipulated tiger at the end.

Otherwise, this went straight to my Top 5 comic book movies (Along side Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Hellboy II and Sin City).

9.5/10

bebo

I'd like to see Snyder do a completely original screenplay instead of remakes and comic book adaptations.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Mar 22, 2009, 05:12 PM
I just saw it.

Let it be said that my expectations were very low.

Wow, I absolutely LOVED it. Brilliant movie. I was hooked from start to finish. Everything worked smoothly and the flashbacks were fantasticly done.
I was worried about the use of slow-mo, but it was just the right amount. The fightscenes were fucking awesome.

I definitely need to see it again since there's so much in it to grasp. I'm glad that Snyder redeemed himself from the piece of shit called 300.

I have none to very few complaints (rather nitpicking since it doesn't ruin the movie in any way). Playing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" in the sex scene was rather out of place. Also, I'd wish they'd left out that genetic manipulated tiger at the end.

Otherwise, this went straight to my Top 5 comic book movies (Along side Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Hellboy II and Sin City).

9.5/10

YES YES YES! good to see that you liked it, i thought you would.

Quote from: bebo on Mar 22, 2009, 07:04 PM
I'd like to see Snyder do a completely original screenplay instead of remakes and comic book adaptations.
and now that you mention it, i agree. i often forget that everything he's done has a remake/adaptation
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

Another thing I think they should have explained was the reason that Rorschach's mask moved. I think a lot of people who didn't read th GN were quite confused about that.

Did anyone else get chills at the end in the scene between Jon and Rorschach? "What are you waiting for!?" "Do it!"  "DO IT!"

Sad scene.

Also, how awesome was the line: "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me. " Haha. Nice.

Jacob

I haven't seen the movie and I'm not that interested (yet another dumb comic-book based hollywood cash machine, *sigh*)... but I'd like to add one thing to the discussion: Malin Akerman is NOT HOT AT ALL.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

devlin

Quote from: aenemic on Mar 23, 2009, 11:15 AM
I haven't seen the movie and I'm not that interested (yet another dumb comic-book based hollywood cash machine, *sigh*)... but I'd like to add one thing to the discussion: Malin Akerman is NOT HOT AT ALL.

you could not be more wrong. this isn't just "another dumb comic-book based hollywood cash machine". this was done by a fan for the fans. he stayed true to the material instead of changing things around to make it open to a wider demographic. but if you don't like comics or comic related movies than no this isn't the movie for you.

theis

Haha, man, this is as far from a "typical Hollywood comic book movie" as it gets. It's bleak, nihilistic and brutal.

You should give it a chance.

And I think Malin is ridiculously hot.

Jacob

huh, even I who know nothing about the Watchmen universe, have heard/read that fans are upset about name changes and the creators missing several points of the novel. but I guess there'll always be those people who you just can't make happy :)

but yeah, still... I'm not very interested in comics and the movies based on them. Batman Begins was pretty cool, The Dark Night was entertaining... but that's about it :P

either way, that's all beside my point which remains: Malin Akerman is ugly.

@theis, who ninja-posted before me: I'm most likely still gonna watch it once a good torrent leaks and I'm probably gonna find it entertaining. but I'm never gonna get the coolness factor of grown people running around in silly costumes, thinking they will make them better at fighting crime or taking over the world.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

devlin

Quote from: aenemic on Mar 23, 2009, 11:29 AM
huh, even I who know nothing about the Watchmen universe, have heard/read that fans are upset about name changes and the creators missing several points of the novel. but I guess there'll always be those people who you just can't make happy :)

but yeah, still... I'm not very interested in comics and the movies based on them. Batman Begins was pretty cool, The Dark Night was entertaining... but that's about it :P

either way, that's all beside my point which remains: Malin Akerman is ugly.

well there were some changes but pretty much all were because of time. the movie would have had to be like 4 hours long to get everything. but most complaints i have and have read were small nickpicking.

and more to your point shes not the hottest girl, but far from ugly. she looks a lot better blonde. she is smoking on this months maxim.

bright lights, big city

yeah hopefully hollywood makes more movies like this....but they wont
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

tarkil

Just saw the 3 hours version yesterday, it was such a great movie... I really enjoyed the darkness, the story was captivating, and it's so good to have such a long movie : it really gives you time to sink into it, and stay there...

Really great !

Oh, and Malin Akerman IS hot...   :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: tarkil on Sep 15, 2009, 04:49 AM
Oh, and Malin Akerman IS hot...   :)
it makes up for her poor acting  ;)
DERP

ben

The big problem I have with this movie is the soundtrack.  Such predictable songs being played (Simon & Garfunkel).

theis

I've never flip flopped this much with a movie before. When I saw it in theatres I loved it. When I saw the Director's Cut I didn't like it at all. I have no interest in ever watching this again.

Weird, I know.

ben

the director's cut adds nothing, it just bloats it even further. 

theis

Quote from: ben on Sep 15, 2009, 04:51 PM
the director's cut adds nothing, it just bloats it even further. 

Agree 100%.

shine down unshy

I loved Watchmen so much.  The dark atmosphere really ties together with the dark plot.  The Comedian is one BAMF too.

bright lights, big city

I thought the director's cut put things together better, it's superior to the theatrical version. The Hollis Mason death was necessary to the story, and it was well done. For a 3 hour movie, it still keeps my attention all the way through (I've watched it 3 times since the dvd release)

Also, I thought the random music was great as well. The Simon & Garfunkel song was fine, I always love hearing some Leonard Cohen, and I the opening credits set to Bob Dylan was perfect.

By no means am I saying this is the best movie of the year, but I still really love watching this flick. At least as far as superhero movies go, this is definitely the best of 2009 in that category (though the category has been weak overall this year)
DERP

shine down unshy