Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

watchmen

Started by theis, Jul 20, 2008, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

Very good. not that great, but I really enjoyed it. For the most part is stayed completely faithful to the book, which was just what I was hoping for.
Good acting, some nice brutal violence, good music, fair amount of blue penis (just for bebo)

fun times.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

bebo

I heard the ending was different from the book, want to elaborate?

Timmy666

SPOILERS!!!!!!

Dr Manhattan is blamed for the destruction. There is no squid or "alien invasion".  Ozymandius was being helped by Dr Manhattan to create a machine. Dr Manhattan was unaware of what Ozymandius was going to do with it and used it against major cities around the world. The world unites and rises against Manhattan. Manhattan understands the logic of Ozymandius like he does in the book and leaves Earth.

Fucking incredible movie!

bebo

That blows dick, i wanted to see a giant alien vagina and atleast half of all the dead bodies in ny

bright lights, big city

as much as i really want to agree with bebo on this, the movie ending was actually better than the book. srsly
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

defskull

I know this was deemed an unfilmmable movie, but I was nitpicking a lot of it.  It started off great, but the order of some events and the lack of depth of other things disappointed me.  Silk Spectre II was very underdeveloped, as was Nite Owl's loser-ness.  The Comedian was done pretty much perfectly.  Dr. Manhattan was done decently though I'm not sure about the voice.  Also, the amount of penis they showed surprised me.  I honestly expected no penis, yet we got a lot of penis.  Snyder did a good job trying to get in as much as he could and many scenes seemed ripped directly from the pages of the comic.  Probably the best part was the opening credit sequence.  It did a great job introducing newbies to the whole cast.  And finally, no vagina :(.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 07, 2009, 06:46 AM
as much as i really want to agree with bebo on this, the movie ending was actually better than the book. srsly

I concur.

IMAX, faggots. That shit was insane. I almost felt like I could reach out and stroke the blue penis.

defskull

The ending was not better. It doesn't make sense.  Just because the symbol of America suddenly attacks cities around the world, the Soviet Union and America are ok?  Kind of a stretch isn't it?  The beauty of the vagina monster was the fact that it was not a human threat, but an alien threat.  Doctor Manhattan would still be considered an American would he not?  And when they find out he's decided to live in a different galaxy, the world should have peace forever? 

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Dr. Manhattan becomes a COMMON threat. Therefore the fact that he's American doesn't matter anymore. Makes sense to me.

Also, Dr. Manhattan is the human embodiment of god. I think it's supposed to be symbolic.

Also also, god is dog.

devlin

does anyone know why synder choose to change the end. i haven't seen it yet (going tomorrow morning!), but i was really looking forward to seeing the ending from the book. i think that would have been a great special effects shot with the giant squid monster, and a very powerful shot with all the dead lying around and all the people running.

edit: i looked it up and found they changed it because of 9/11. ok ummm  ???...that was tragic don't get me wrong, but come on that was 7 1/2 years ago. i understand toning it down. showing less people laying dead/bloody/dismembered on the streets of new york. but to change it from a squid/alien/monster to a BOMB seems much worse. bombs relate to terrorist alot more than giant sealife.

wither-I

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Mar 03, 2009, 11:28 AM
i'm afraid this will end up as a piece of shit. i'll be going in with low expectations.
yeah it looks silly to me.

im really not into these movies though... sigh

"coming into the nearness of distance"

bright lights, big city

Quote from: devlin on Mar 07, 2009, 02:52 PM
does anyone know why synder choose to change the end. i haven't seen it yet (going tomorrow morning!), but i was really looking forward to seeing the ending from the book. i think that would have been a great special effects shot with the giant squid monster, and a very powerful shot with all the dead lying around and all the people running.

edit: i looked it up and found they changed it because of 9/11. ok ummm  ???...that was tragic don't get me wrong, but come on that was 7 1/2 years ago. i understand toning it down. showing less people laying dead/bloody/dismembered on the streets of new york. but to change it from a squid/alien/monster to a BOMB seems much worse. bombs relate to terrorist alot more than giant sealife.
was it really because of 9/11...that does kinda piss me off...especially since they actually showed the twin towers several times in the movie.

I just thought he changed the ending because most people would've thought a random giant squid would be pretty outrageous. outrageous in a bad way too. it probably would've looked cool though...
DERP

devilinside

I did not really care for this movie. Was gonna take my kids to see it but dayum I'm glad I didn't! Blue wang overload! Rorschach/Kovacs is soo fucking creepy.

bebo

lithium

i saw this movie with no previous knowledge of the story, and i must say, it was damn good.
💩

bright lights, big city

good to know, cuz most people i know already knew the story. good to know "outsiders" liked it too, lol.

but yeah, definitely earned that R rating. awesome.
DERP

devlin

i saw it this morning and i loved it. i didn't like that they pulled out hollis' death. and i didn't like the changed ending. it wasn't bad but it definilty wasn't better. it was pointless to change in my opinion. i think they made them a little to strong too. they are suppose to be regular people and they are kicking people across the room and punching through concrete, things like that. but besides those couple of things i loved it. stayed very faithful to the graphic novel.

as far as the actors i think every one did really well. rorschach was perfect, definitly nailed it. i'm not crazy about billy crudup's voice though. i always pictured dr. manhattan with a deeper and really monotone/unintrested/distracted tone.

rock_n_frost

i just watched...if you like comics and high quality visiual effects, dont miss that one !...
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

devlin

bright lights, big city

EDIT: I was going to post the opening credits to the movie (one of the best/coolest parts of the movie) but apparently Warner doesn't like free publicity

EDIT PART 2: found a video of it embedded here  http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/03/watchmen-opening-title-sequence-video#more-10808
DERP