Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Recommend me some new music equipment

Started by rainnyx4, Aug 10, 2008, 02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainnyx4

I'm in the market for the following:

New Acoustic Guitar (~$500-600)
New Practice Amp (~$300-400)
New Pedals (~$200-300 Can't decide if I should buy a Multi-FX or just load up on a few new Boss pedals)

I've been out of the scene for a long time so I could really use some suggestions as I really want to get back into playing.  Obviously, the Deftones are my biggest influence but am also really into Tool, Dredg, Bjork, Denali, Failure, etc. (progressive/experimental stuff).  My playing style is more towards the Chino side than the Stef side but I still like to rock out every once in a while.  Currently I'm using the following:

Dean Evo Premium Electric
Fender Bronco 15W
DOD TEC8 Multi-FX
Boss X-Tortion
Rocktek Phaser
Close to 30 yr. old Yamaha Classical Acoustic

I could probably add up to another $100 on those price ranges if there's something amazing that I find that I just can't live without. 

I'm thinking a Marshall amp.  Probably one of these two:

MG30DFX 1x10" Guitar Combo Amplifier 30W
MG50DFX 1x12" Guitar Combo Amplifier 50W

I have no clue what do for the acoustic since the only thing I've played for the last few years is my ancient Classical.

I'll probably end up just buying a few Boss pedals.  I'm thinking a Metal Zone, Delay, and either a Chorus, Flanger, or Phaser.

indychinoluv

Ibanez are always a nice direction. They make some beautiful acoustics. Just make sure it's semi-acoustic.
You are always safe with Boss, but why do you want a metal zone for an acoustic? Chorus is a thumbs cup.

Buying a guitar is like buying a new pet. Get the one that your attracted to!

devilinside

rainnyx4

Quote from: indychinoluv on Aug 10, 2008, 07:10 PM
Ibanez are always a nice direction. They make some beautiful acoustics. Just make sure it's semi-acoustic.
You are always safe with Boss, but why do you want a metal zone for an acoustic? Chorus is a thumbs cup.

Buying a guitar is like buying a new pet. Get the one that your attracted to!

The pedals are for my electric.  Why should I get a semi-acoustic?

I'm thinking about selling all of my stuff that I don't use.  I'll probably keep my Bronco amp but might get rid of my Multi-FX, Phaser, Crate 15W, Samick Strat, Ibanez RG270, and Classical Acoustic.  Do you think people would want any of that stuff on craigslist?

13hourstoparadise

Practice amp for an acoustic guitar doesn't make any sense. Plus you can find one at a pawn shop for like $80.

Use that money and buy a MicroKorg and let me barrow it.

rainnyx4

Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Aug 10, 2008, 09:09 PM
Practice amp for an acoustic guitar doesn't make any sense. Plus you can find one at a pawn shop for like $80.

Why does everyone keep mentioning things about the acoustic?  The practice amp is for my electric.

Let me clarify this.

The amp and pedals are for my ELECTRIC.  I am also interested in buying a new ACOUSTIC guitar.

indychinoluv

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Aug 10, 2008, 10:12 PM
Why does everyone keep mentioning things about the acoustic?  The practice amp is for my electric.
Let me clarify this.
The amp and pedals are for my ELECTRIC.  I am also interested in buying a new ACOUSTIC guitar.
I just think semi-scoustics are a good bet. you can always plug it if if you want.

I chucked in the guitar and went back to bass, so I can't say to much about pedals, but I think you're on the right track!

Battle-Axe

A friend of mine said the Boss Heavy Metal [HM-1 I think?] is much better than the Metal Zone, though they don't make them anymore and they go for quite a bit on ebay apparantly.

I really have no idea about effects though cos the only pedal I have is the NS-1 and I still haven't got round to using it yet cos I need some patch leads :P I really want a new amp though cos I'm sick of playing on a Marshall.

Slightly off topic, but I could kill my cousin... Today he spent just over £1000 [$2000] on a Line 6 Spider 2 or 3 half stack D: He seems pretty pleased with it though which is the main thing I guess haha.

rainnyx4

Quote from: indychinoluv on Aug 10, 2008, 10:57 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Aug 10, 2008, 10:12 PM
Let me clarify this.
I just think semi-scoustics are a good bet. you can always plug it if if you want.

I chucked in the guitar and went back to bass, so I can't say to much about pedals, but I think you're on the right track!

I could always just buy a pickup for the acoustic.  Does anyone have any specific model suggestions for the acoustic or the amp?

indychinoluv

Im biased. Im a Line 6 boy. I would recommend these amps to even the deaf. They're (too) expensive and the sound and projection is massive. They usually also come witha set of builtin digital (sic) effects, which aren't that bad (for digital).

Acoustic wise, I'd say what ever feels right when you play it. Personally, I have a 2 Ibanez's that have always served me well.

But just go to music shop and jam a few different types...just don't play Smoke on the water, Purple Haze or Enter Sandman...

13hourstoparadise

I play an acoustic eletric Ibenez, using software to alter the track I can make it sound like an electric.

Take 'We Are All Dust' on my myspace page. That is all acoustic guitar, even the intro, that was acoustics notes changed to DTMF tones...

rainnyx4

Ok, I think I'm beginning to narrow down my selections.  I haven't actually gone down to a shop to play anything yet but from reviews I've read and your suggestions I'm coming up with the following.

Pedals:

Boss BF3 Flanger

Boss DD3 Digital Delay

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Acoustic:

Dean Exotica

or

Ibanez AEF30E

Amp:

Marshall MG50DFX

indychinoluv

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Aug 14, 2008, 01:57 AM
Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Brilliant choice.

personally I'd go after a chorus before I got a flange. Delays are always an excellant choice.

Sureley that Marshall must have some tidy effect on it`

indychinoluv

Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Aug 13, 2008, 02:48 AM
I play an acoustic eletric Ibenez, using software to alter the track I can make it sound like an electric.

Take 'We Are All Dust' on my myspace page. That is all acoustic guitar, even the intro, that was acoustics notes changed to DTMF tones...
Are DTMF when you use thwe same tones, but either lower or raise the frequency.

kalhan

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Aug 10, 2008, 02:36 AM
New Pedals (~$200-300 Can't decide if I should buy a Multi-FX or just load up on a few new Boss pedals)

do NOT go for the multi effects!

and remember, the rule is: drive only from the amp. not from a pedal or from a digital source.

if you really want to buy an ibanez, pick up a semi acoustic, it won't make a difference if you're plugging it into an amp or running it through pedals, infact, it'd sound better and closer to the "chino style" of playing...

buy a chorus, that's an important pedal. the boss super chorus is good but the best buy would be the voodoo lab analog chorus...

acoustic guitar: go for the fender dreadnought! value for money man, it's like 300 usd!

rainnyx4

Quote from: kalhan on Aug 15, 2008, 03:56 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Aug 10, 2008, 02:36 AM

do NOT go for the multi effects!

and remember, the rule is: drive only from the amp. not from a pedal or from a digital source.

if you really want to buy an ibanez, pick up a semi acoustic, it won't make a difference if you're plugging it into an amp or running it through pedals, infact, it'd sound better and closer to the "chino style" of playing...

buy a chorus, that's an important pedal. the boss super chorus is good but the best buy would be the voodoo lab analog chorus...

acoustic guitar: go for the fender dreadnought! value for money man, it's like 300 usd!

The amp I'm thinking of buying has a footswitcher with delay, chorus, flanger, reverb, and distortion.  Do you think I even need to get the Metal Zone (I am going to keep my Boss X-Tortion pedal)?  Or should I just get the Chorus, Delay, and a Flanger or Phaser pedals?

As for the acoustic, I'm not deadset on any brand.  I definitely want something with a cutaway and you guys have certainly convinced me that semi-acoustic is the way to go (the more I think about it, the better of an idea it sounds).  The Dean and the Ibanez I posted are two of the best-sellers at samash.com for the price range I'm looking at.

Also, what do you guys recommend for strings tuned to drop-C?  And my guitar is seriously dirty, what should I get to clean it up?  And finally, I need a new strap.

Battle-Axe

I'm on .54 - .11s I think and I'm in drop C. My bottom string buzzes a little but that's cos I need to sort my action/truss rod out. D'Addario strings are sweet but I'm stuck with Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottoms at the moment.

As for cleaning, get some lemon oil for the fret board and guitar polish for the body.