Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Minus the Bear

Started by ben, Sep 08, 2008, 08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Who else loves this fucking band?  I'm at work chilling to Planet of Ice, can't wait until they release some new stuff.

lostpilot

I love them!

Planet of Ice and Menos el Oso were a bit different from their earlier stuff, so I'm not that a fan of those albums.. In my opinion, They Make Beer Commercials Like This EP is the best thing they've ever written. And the first half (or a bit more) of Highly Refined Pirates.

Nonetheless - great band! Ah, songs like Lotus, Hey! is that a Ninja up There?, We are Not a Football Team.. epic, god damn epic!

theis

great band, fo' sho!

my favorite album is "menos el oso". such an awesome summer/chill album.

bright lights, big city

GREAT THREAD!! i adore this band. Menos... and Planet of Ice are great

and i lost my virginity to Absinthe Party At The Fly Honey Warehouse, lolz
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

occipudding

i love minus the bear.  what did you guys think of the daytrotter sessions?  i think they sound great acoustic.
machete!  meow

alvarezbassist17

i haven't heard those, i bet they'd be amazing acoustic.  minus the bear is definitely a top 5 band for me.  i think i love every single song i've ever heard by them.  planet of ice, menos el oso, they make beer commercials like this, and highly refined pirates all tie in their amazingness to me.  i've seen them live more than any other band, like 5 times, and i'm about to see them again in october.  really fun to dance to when you're all fucked up.

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Sep 08, 2008, 11:51 PM

haha props dude, that's a great song for it, hopefully it lasted longer than just that one song though!

lostpilot

I would so like to see them live.. :/

bright lights, big city

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Sep 09, 2008, 03:10 PM
i haven't heard those, i bet they'd be amazing acoustic.  minus the bear is definitely a top 5 band for me.  i think i love every single song i've ever heard by them.  planet of ice, menos el oso, they make beer commercials like this, and highly refined pirates all tie in their amazingness to me.  i've seen them live more than any other band, like 5 times, and i'm about to see them again in october.  really fun to dance to when you're all fucked up.

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Sep 08, 2008, 11:51 PM

haha props dude, that's a great song for it, hopefully it lasted longer than just that one song though!
lolz...dude i'm totally a half-minute man
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lostpilot

lostpilot

anyone already got Minus the Bear's 'Acoustics EP'?
I sooooooooo want it

whodunit?

"ninja" is a great song. many good memories attached to this band.

black coffee

my favorite piece of work by them is  the "They Make Beer Commercials Like This" EP. after that I've seen them live in 2004, and they played 4 of 6 songs from the EP and 'Highly Refined Pirares' stuff. just wonderful. the two concerts last year didn't even come close to that, though I also appreciate the newer albums.

Deftones To Fall

theyre definitely great live
highly refined is my favorite, but i agree about they make beer comm being awesome as well
planet of ice took forever to grow on me but now i think it might be their most talented

theis

sweet i finally get to see these guys live.

november 16, henry fonda theatre, LA.

sweeet!

alvarezbassist17

october 15th for me, day after my bday wooooooot.  i'm gonna be drunk.  and i get to go to florida afterwards.

mr.sinister

I went to the record store yesterday with my sis just browsing and decided to pick this up having heard nothing from them. Really good band! I ended up buying Planet of Ice which I ended up liking a lot.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Awesome band. I had only heard Planet of Ice until last week. I'm going to see them tomorrow and I wanted to get more familiar with their other material. I really like Menos el Oso. and Highly Refined Pirates. Now I just have to check out their EP's. I was going to go to the show having only heard Planet of Ice but then I figured it would be more enjoyable if I were moderately familiar with more of their material. Should be awesome.

A few favorites:

Burying Luck
Pachuca Sunrise
Knights
Hooray
The Pig War
This Ain't A Surfin' Movie
Lotus

alvarezbassist17

they fuckin ripped it last night, played a few new tunes, and 3 ones acoustic.  pachuca sunrise is totally awesome acoustic.  i was ridiculously high for it, and it was good.  new stuff sounded very promising

oh and they played the pig war and i'm totally not down with rob's alien, which i hadn't seen live previously, and rocked my socks.

lostpilot

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Oct 17, 2008, 03:17 AM
i'm totally not down with rob's alien

so would like to see them play this live :(

alvarezbassist17

just got the acoustics ep from the d&r thread, and i'm already in love