Quote from: bored on Sep 11, 2008, 02:52 PM
Quote from: Atomic on Sep 11, 2008, 02:51 PM
Quote from: devilinside on Sep 11, 2008, 02:45 PM
Quote from: Atomic on Sep 11, 2008, 02:36 PM
its been 7 years. when will they stop bringing this up

Uuh....NEVER! Wow....
i just wish they didnt hav to make such a big deal out of it

actually, me too. maybe it's enough

um anytime someone use three planes as missiles for a terroist attack, i think that is going to take awhile to get over. besides, things like this should never be forgotten lest we all become complacent
i wouldnt want them to bring this up every year if someone i knew died, let the mourning families be
actually you would.  Its not like you are going to forget that your loved one died just because people don't talk about it anymore.  I think those people need to see that the Nation remembers and still supports them.  hasn't forgot why their loved one was taken from them.  Its also dangerous to forget  If you forget the lessons history teaches you, they are very likely to happen again. 

People just forgetting about 911 made them stop questioning why this actually happened.  Is it because all Muslims hate "Christians" ( lol, as if the majority of the US is even Christian)  And these "radical Muslims" just ignored all of Europe which is much closer to them ( including the Vatican) to come fuck us just because we are so super special ( you can tell this is bull shit because its riddled with American arrogance) No, its because of our long standing presence in the middle east and the Arabian Peninsula to be more exact.  Maybe remembering would be a good way to get people to challenge their government to change these things.

very good post imho. but it seems as 9 11 is abused as some myth or clichee that creates patriotism and a dichotomous view on the world. instead of searching for complex answers and seeing 9 11 as a progress, it is seen as a sudden event without context.

that is just my cognition of the mainstream media.

but i heard obama and mccain were at ground zero this day? the term "event" fits pretty good then.

yet 9 11 for me shows how there is no way to bargain with fundamentalists/islamists/islamofascists/islamoantisemitsts etc. etc. it seems not to work like that. no rationality.
The Government of the United States of America took advantage of 911 for sure.  Its sad.

devilinside

They sure did.

But it's a horribly sad day none the less.

Nailec

Quote from: Variable on Sep 12, 2008, 12:43 AM
Quote from: Nailec on Sep 11, 2008, 10:29 PM
Quote from: Variable on Sep 11, 2008, 09:46 PM
Quote from: Atomic on Sep 11, 2008, 04:55 PM
Quote from: goldpony on Sep 11, 2008, 03:22 PM

Uuh....NEVER! Wow....

um anytime someone use three planes as missiles for a terroist attack, i think that is going to take awhile to get over. besides, things like this should never be forgotten lest we all become complacent
i wouldnt want them to bring this up every year if someone i knew died, let the mourning families be
actually you would.  Its not like you are going to forget that your loved one died just because people don't talk about it anymore.  I think those people need to see that the Nation remembers and still supports them.  hasn't forgot why their loved one was taken from them.  Its also dangerous to forget  If you forget the lessons history teaches you, they are very likely to happen again. 

People just forgetting about 911 made them stop questioning why this actually happened.  Is it because all Muslims hate "Christians" ( lol, as if the majority of the US is even Christian)  And these "radical Muslims" just ignored all of Europe which is much closer to them ( including the Vatican) to come fuck us just because we are so super special ( you can tell this is bull shit because its riddled with American arrogance) No, its because of our long standing presence in the middle east and the Arabian Peninsula to be more exact.  Maybe remembering would be a good way to get people to challenge their government to change these things.

very good post imho. but it seems as 9 11 is abused as some myth or clichee that creates patriotism and a dichotomous view on the world. instead of searching for complex answers and seeing 9 11 as a progress, it is seen as a sudden event without context.

but i heard obama and mccain were at ground zero this day? the term "event" fits pretty good then.

yet 9 11 for me shows how there is no way to bargain with fundamentalists/islamists/islamofascists/islamoantisemitsts etc. etc. it seems not to work like that. no rationality.
The Government of the United States of America took advantage of 911 for sure.  Its sad.

every tv channel too. i dont have a tv but im sure our programm was full of 9 11 docus.

there is nothing bad on docus in general. but y do they show em 7 years after. 9 11 and other cruelties should be present way more. not only on some docu channels that john doe never watches because he likes talkshows. the media gives a shit about responsibility and stuff like that.

lets make this quote forever lol.

Nailec

oh lets make a sub topic.

if once again a plane gets kidnapped. would you like it gets destroyed by the airforce before it crashes somewhere? with all its civilians?

im sure this discussion has been fought in the usa imidiately after 911?

Variable

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Sep 11, 2008, 09:53 PM
Quote from: Atomic on Sep 11, 2008, 04:55 PM
Quote from: goldpony on Sep 11, 2008, 03:22 PM

Uuh....NEVER! Wow....

It goes further than just the terrorist attacks now.  The day is about remembering the bravery of the law enforcement, EMT's, firefighters, etc, victims and families of the attack, and now soldiers that have died in Iraq as a result of the attacks.  There are EMT's all over campus today talking to students, we have a blood drive, care packages for troops.  It may be nothing new to countless countries who deal with terrorism every day but for us it was a wakeup call.  Many people deserve to be remembered for their bravery and sacrifice, willing or not.
Im pretty sure that most people on this board realize that I am in the military and so obviously I can appreciate the bravery and sacrifice that some service members make.  Its not all just for college benefits or an alternative to failure.  Some people really do serve because they believe in America and believe in protecting their fellow citizens. 

However one thing I rarely talk about are my civilian friends.  Before I was in the military I worked as an E.M.T. so naturally I still have a lot of friends who are E.M.T.s and Firefighters.  You know, a lot of times when I got home and hang out with these guys and talk to them.  It can be a little humbling.  Just like me with the military, they can get disgruntled with the system and all the bull shit ( E.G. dealing with drunk homeless people 90% of the time) But at the end of the day, they are very eager to help.  They have a deep desire to serve and protect their community, no matter what.  Its pretty cool to see that eagerness from one citizen to want to go out and protect other citizens as well.

I think you hit it dead on.  Sometimes its easy to view police as ass holes who are just trying to pick on people because they got beat up in high school.  Its easy to view fire fighters as a bunch of prima donnas who just took the job to try and look sexy for chicks.  Or the military as a bunch of blood thirsty ass holes who would kill and pillage anyone if given the chance.  But that is just simply not the case. Not of the vast majority for sure.  And 911 was a great example of such.

People saw the true value of this on 911.  They saw fire fighters, E.M.T.s , and police go and risk or give their lives.  For no other reason than a fellow American was in trouble.  They saw the military respond with the National Guard for relief.  The Navy's response with the USS Comfort docking right in New York for medical assistance.  The active duty  military's quick response to over throw the Taliban and chase Bin Laden and his cells to the corners of the world.  911 is a good day to remember the good things people do for eachother.  No matter how corrupt our government has become.  The average citizen still cares about the average citizen.  And will stand up for the average citizen.  Hopefully, that's what people will remember 911 for.  Not the war in Iraq, that is a horrible injustice to the meaning of 911.

devilinside

Quote from: Variable on Sep 12, 2008, 02:28 AM
People saw the true value of this on 911.  They saw fire fighters, E.M.T.s , and police go and risk or give their lives.  For no other reason than a fellow American was in trouble.  They saw the military respond with the National Guard for relief.  The Navy's response with the USS Comfort docking right in New York for medical assistance.  The active duty  military's quick response to over throw the Taliban and chase Bin Laden and his cells to the corners of the world.  911 is a good day to remember the good things people do for eachother.  No matter how corrupt our government has become.  The average citizen still cares about the average citizen.  And will stand up for the average citizen.  Hopefully, that's what people will remember 911 for.  Not the war in Iraq, that is a horrible injustice to the meaning of 911.

^5

Variable

;) I think thats all the preaching I need to do for today

untz untz untz

Variable

TheWatcher

Quote from: downtownpony on Sep 11, 2008, 02:21 PM
everyone is supposed to remember what they were doin when it happened. I dont.

i think was in english class thinking of a way to leave school

i didnt like school at all

bright lights, big city

i was in english class too, first period. the teacher left the room, came back and turned on the tv...
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

defskull

but it seems as 9 11 is abused as some myth or clichee that creates patriotism and a dichotomous view on the world. instead of searching for complex answers and seeing 9 11 as a progress, it is seen as a sudden event without context.

This kind of event?

From IMDB:

Lindsay Lohan and rumoured girlfriend Samantha Ronson have paid tribute to the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the seven-year anniversary of the tragedy.

The pair is currently in New York on the anniversary of the attacks, and have vowed to "never forget" the day.

Penicks

Stop calling it 9/11. It's 11/9.

Day, month, year.

Not month, day, year. Americans don't make sense.

Variable

Writing Dates and Times
Rule: The following examples apply when using dates:

The meeting is scheduled for June 30.
The meeting is scheduled for the 30th of June.
We have had tricks played on us on April 1.
The 1st of April puts some people on edge.

Rule: When expressing decades, you may spell them out and lowercase them.

Example: During the e ighties and nineties, the United States economy grew.

Rule: Whether you express decades using incomplete or complete numerals, do not use an apostrophe between the year and the s. When using an incomplete numeral, use an apostrophe to replace the first two numbers.

Correct:
During the '80s, the world's economy grew.
During the 1980s, the world's economy grew.

Incorrect:
During the '80's, the world's economy grew.
During the 1980's, the world's economy grew.

Rule: Spell out the time of day in text even with half and quarter hours. With o'clock, the number is always spelled out.

Example: She gets up at four thirty before the baby wakes up.
Example: The baby wakes up at five o'clock in the morning.

Rule: Use numerals with the time of day when exact times are being emphasized.

Example: Her flight leaves at 6:22 a.m.
Example: Please arrive by 12:30 p.m. sharp.

Rule: Use noon and midnight rather than 12:00 a.m. or 12:00 p.m.

Note: You may use AM and PM rather than a.m. and p.m.

Variable

As you can see saying September 11 is proper English. So when speaking colloquially you can say 911.  But if you want to say the TH part it has to be written " the 11th of September"  Plus, to my knowledge,  there is no proper numerical order to write the date.  It drives me nuts in the military because every form has its proper way.  Sometimes it day month year, sometimes its year month day, sometimes is month day year, sometimes it day written month year ( EG 11 SEP 01 ) drives me nuts.

downtownpony

Quote from: Variable on Sep 12, 2008, 10:43 AM
Writing Dates and Times
Rule: The following examples apply when using dates:

The meeting is scheduled for June 30.
The meeting is scheduled for the 30th of June.
We have had tricks played on us on April 1.
The 1st of April puts some people on edge.

Rule: When expressing decades, you may spell them out and lowercase them.

Example: During the e ighties and nineties, the United States economy grew.

Rule: Whether you express decades using incomplete or complete numerals, do not use an apostrophe between the year and the s. When using an incomplete numeral, use an apostrophe to replace the first two numbers.

Correct:
During the '80s, the world's economy grew.
During the 1980s, the world's economy grew.

Incorrect:
During the '80's, the world's economy grew.
During the 1980's, the world's economy grew.

Rule: Spell out the time of day in text even with half and quarter hours. With o'clock, the number is always spelled out.

Example: She gets up at four thirty before the baby wakes up.
Example: The baby wakes up at five o'clock in the morning.

Rule: Use numerals with the time of day when exact times are being emphasized.

Example: Her flight leaves at 6:22 a.m.
Example: Please arrive by 12:30 p.m. sharp.

Rule: Use noon and midnight rather than 12:00 a.m. or 12:00 p.m.

Note: You may use AM and PM rather than a.m. and p.m.

ur a strange person.

Variable

TheWatcher

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Sep 12, 2008, 05:25 AM
i was in english class too, first period. the teacher left the room, came back and turned on the tv...
wow you school must be rich

we didnt have cable in the class room

Variable

it was on every channel.  You didnt have to have cable to watch it.