Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones - Spaceland September 18th?

Started by CUNTALOUPE, Sep 13, 2008, 08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downtownpony

yeah he was like 7 or 8 songs in when they played melanie. But I can already tell that shits gonna be badass.

devilinside

Quote from: ghettovaquero on Sep 19, 2008, 09:06 PM
chino sounds like crap in that new song, i could only understand *pig squealss* and fuck it

Hahaha...damn

bright lights, big city

Quote from: ghettovaquero on Sep 19, 2008, 09:06 PM
chino sounds like crap in that new song, i could only understand *pig squealss* and fuck it
well, if you like death metal, hearing pig squeals makes it good!
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

phil for real

Song sounds just like Rats.  Same structure and everything, fucking lame.

lxix

noticed Chino gave up attempting the 'I haaate' bit in HITE at this show....

Inkblades

Give him some credit for hitting the high note in the chorus well. He usually has trouble with those live.

Anyway, I think the song is good (specifically the chorus and bridge). It was stuck in my head after the first listen. If I have one problem with the song, it that's the verse riff sounds WAY TOO MUCH like Teething. I have to stop listening to it now because I'm going to run it into the ground like I did with Beware and Rapture. Deleted.

wither-I

i guess when they jam their songs out instead of using pro tools you get the adrenaline/atf sound ya know.

im erasing the song too

"coming into the nearness of distance"

pixElsblUr

dude, i was in a meeting for almost  three hours now, it's great to come back to my desk and find this gem, thank you so much, downloading now, whats the word on quality?, also, cant wait to check out what monk has

mr.sinister

Quote from: pixElsblUr on Sep 19, 2008, 09:46 PM
dude, i was in a meeting for almost  three hours now, it's great to come back to my desk and find this gem, thank you so much, downloading now, whats the word on quality?, also, cant wait to check out what monk has
Its pretty decent quality dude. I think you'll be satisfied.

pixElsblUr

ohh my, sound cool so far, listening to hex, nice, good job, dammit i hate that i wasn't able to get in, I waited for like three hours in that line with high hopes, can't wait for the tour

Edit: Here is a cover I made real quick if anyone is interested
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s0kjcz

Inkblades

Damn, WGTB and Fireal back to back? That's so fucking sick.

EDIT:  ;D They didn't do those, even though it says it on the setlist.

cEvin Key

the new song it's kinda of weird...at first i didn't like it much. but it just grew on me still at the first listen.it sounds a bit like rats thou.i think they should rework that first riff. as for the rest it's really awesome track.and the synth sound is pretty cool!! fuck the song is really growing on me now!cant wait to listen to the studio version.

vinsanity

woow, i really enjoyed the new song, agressive as hell, but you got love sound effects from Frank.
Gentleman, you can't fight in here! This the War Room!!

Inkblades

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/news/article/0,,4812441,00.html

Deftones' "surprise show" at Spaceland in Silverlake played out like a classic film noir. However, instead of femme fatales and criminal conspiracies, the audience got Chino Moreno's sensual, schizophrenic croon and Stephen Carpenter's six-string warfare. It was more than just a concert; it was one moment of sonic transcendence after another. In the tiny room, the sound flipped from decadent decay to brutal beauty with the shift of a guitar chord. However, Moreno's entrancing and destructive voice captured the crowd. It was beyond "hypnotic." It was pure aural kidnapping. Moreno stayed at the wheel, and the audience was a more-than willing passenger.

Announced a mere day before via the band's MySpace page, the show sold out almost immediately. Since the band hasn't played a gig in over a year, kids clamored for a spot up front. In the early afternoon, droves of fans arrived at the venue just to get close to witnessing the sonic explosion the evening would bring. Fitting the band's nihilistic imagery, Spaceland had the perfect combination of tacky hipster panache and '70s dirtball sleaze. The venue's sparkly chartreuse back curtain made it resemble a high school auditorium. It was the perfect quirky little club for what will be a legendary show.

In true noir fashion, Deftones went thematically deep into a seedy underworld. There were songs about seduction, abduction, addiction and eerie existentialism. Or were there? That's the best thing about the Deftones: that mystique. Very few bands have it. You could psychoanalyze the lyrics for a year and never know what Moreno truly means. That's why the audience clung to his every word.

Intellectual trappings aside, Deftones still slay on stage, and this particular show channeled an unbridled live ecstasy. From the second Moreno uttered the words, "Uh oh," the band was primed to go off. Opening song "Hexagram" swung like a guillotine, as Moreno sprung across the stage with unmatched fury. The crowd immediately exploded, bouncing with every riff. On "My Own Summer," Abe Cunningham and Chi Cheng's drum n' bass groove dripped sex, while "Lotion" was a kinetic aural riot somewhere between The Cure's swoon and Bad Brains' psychosis. "Around the Fur" evoked images of a downward spiral so deep Trent Reznor couldn't even comprehend it—Hollywood's drugs, depravity and dire loneliness collided in the song's hellish landscape.

"Beware" was the soundtrack to a personal apocalypse, complete with crickets. However, the evening's one new song, tentatively titled "Melanie," proved simultaneously rapturous and deadly. Moreno prefaced it by saying, "You haven't heard this one yet." The song's sharp riff clashed and killed, while the chorus soared. The singer lunged into the crowd, and his voice sailed across Carpenter's tidal wave of distortion during the hook. The new cut was edgy and vibrant—like all great Deftones songs are. "Change," "Knife Party" and "Digital Bath" added that classic space rock element to the show. The band excelled in conjuring gorgeously dark imagery through Frank Delgado's bleeding synths and Carpenter's torrential guitar work. "Hole In The Earth" kept up the space theme before "Passenger" brought everything back to that sexual darkness that the band does all so well.

Moreno's raw, refined rage got better with age. He commanded the crowd with a combination of youthful charisma and wise bravado. In between songs, he smiled, "I see a whole lot of motherfuckers I know out there. I'm glad you made it out to this." They were even happier to be there. This was set for the fans. Cuts like "Root," "Nosebleed" and "7 Words" eliciting massive and crazed crowd responses from the airtight club. One fan swung from a speaker as Moreno poured his soul out with each scream. The set covered every permutation of the Deftones' sound, from White Pony's lovelorn look at high school to Around the Fur's vile embrace to Saturday Night Wrist's stoned sonic space travel.

Since 1995, Deftones have been the future of rock music. They've influenced alternative music's zeitgeist with every evolution. However, most of the general music audience has always seemed one step behind them. Hopefully, with 2009's offering, the audience finally catches up. Rock music needs Deftones now more than ever. How many bands have created a mystique and weathered trends the way that Sacramento's favorite sons have? How many artists explore darkness through such beauty? Just like any classic noir tale, it was a combination of sex, violence and shifted perspectives. Isn't that what all great art is about?

mr.sinister

Quote from: vinsanity on Sep 19, 2008, 10:59 PM
woow, i really enjoyed the new song, agressive as hell, but you got love sound effects from Frank.
Yeah lets just hope they turn it up in the final mix and make it audible to human ears.

Inkblades

Agreed. The biggest disappointment of the studio version of Beware to me is that you can't hear those glorious chorus synths from the live versions.

mr.sinister

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 19, 2008, 11:15 PM
Agreed. The biggest disappointment of the studio version of Beware to me is that you can't hear those glorious chorus synths from the live versions.
Yep. Frank is a hidden gem in Deftones' sound.

Frankz0r

What a LAME review.

Damn I hate that kind of reviews so much... are you reading about a gig or about a kid's story?, besides, they put deftones on a level they probably aren't in (as gods).

*Well definetly they ARENT gods.

snw9

Code: [Select]

Noia

yeah, its rats rats rats part 2.

hope they release the studio version on myspace but not on eros

anyway its a good song, gotta hear it with better quality