Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Your local live scene

Started by indychinoluv, Sep 28, 2008, 07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indychinoluv

Don't know if this is here already somewhere, but whats your local live scene like. Do you go out and watch local bands.

If you're in a band, how do you promote your gigs and do you get many people going?

Crazylegs

There's a pretty good music scene here. It's just too bad i'm not into hardcore,screamocore,shitcore, and all the other cores cause that's all that comes out of this place. Maybe i'm just not looking hard enough for the good stuff.

indychinoluv

We've got a really healthy scene here. The only thing is that fuck all people turn up. We've just started gold coin gigs. Either 1 or 2 dollars to see 4-5 bands.

The bars here are cool. they don't charge anything for you to gig and they'll usually hook you up with a couple of bands.

Battle-Axe

Quote from: indychinoluv on Sep 28, 2008, 09:02 PM
We've got a really healthy scene here. The only thing is that fuck all people turn up. We've just started gold coin gigs. Either 1 or 2 dollars to see 4-5 bands.

That's one problem here in Manchester - people complain at having to pay say £3 on the door to see like 4 local bands and it's ridiculous. The scene here is gradually getting better and there's an awesome promo company called Mutiny which is basically 2 guys putting some sick shows on. They do a good job of getting local bands some sweet support slots - for example they got Veils on with The Acacia Strain, Blueprint To A Downfall with All Shall Perish and Elias Last Day [technically not local but they're from near here] with Misery Signals.

But yea, I go to local shows as often as I can and if anyone's interested at all, here's some bands:

Profane - my other favourite band
I-DEF-I - played Download in 2006
A Killers Fear - my friend's band
Blueprint To A Downfall
Veils
i Remain
Ingested - went to college with one of their guitarists

oldgentlovecraft

Our town is full of shit cover bands consisting of middle aged men reliving their teenage, garage band days. 

However, if you go next door to Ohio there is a decent metal/hardcore scene that has spawned bands like Twelve Tribes and Devil Wears Prada.

Oldnewtype

the hardcore/grindcore/death metal scene actually just started exploding again out of seemingly nowhere the past month or so here in hammond, LA. There used to only be MAYBE one or two good bands a month, now I'm going to see 9 or 10 bands every weekend, consistently. I've already got plans for shows to see every weekend till the end of november. I need to get in on this while its big.

Its also cool because all of the bands are my friends. I know, hang out with or went to school with at least one person in just about all the bands popping up so its fucking great to be able to support my friends. Its even greater that they are all actually good and deserve the support.

lostpilot

my local scene sucks.
too much shitcore-indie-emowannabes.

Battle-Axe

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Sep 29, 2008, 02:29 PM
Its also cool because all of the bands are my friends. I know, hang out with or went to school with at least one person in just about all the bands popping up so its fucking great to be able to support my friends. Its even greater that they are all actually good and deserve the support.

+1

My friend's band A Killers Fear are playing quite a few shows at the moment and I love seeing the crowd being so into them. Their last 3 shows have been so much fun and they even give me and my friend [her brother is one of their guitarists] a free shirt and EP. I'm going to their band practise tonight actually.

Come to think of it, I'm actually slowly starting to prefer local shows..

goldpony

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Sep 29, 2008, 01:17 PM
Our town is full of shit cover bands consisting of middle aged men reliving their teenage, garage band days. 

However, if you go next door to Ohio there is a decent metal/hardcore scene that has spawned bands like Twelve Tribes and Devil Wears Prada.

^5 for the ohio shout out. there is also a pretty good classic rock type scene as well. but your right oldgent, we loves us the hardcore
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

DEFinMASS

The local scene here in my area in Massachusetts is healthy and just keeps getting better. New England in general has so much to offer. There are so many "diamonds in the rough" in the US that will never have a chance to get on a label which is sad. Hell Within on Life Force records hails from my city and I'm good friends with them. My friend Matty just left the band a little over a year ago and joined The Autumn Offering as the current vocalist. He is happy with them and that's all that matters. Godsmack which I can't stand are from Methuen and Haverhill which is 20 minutes from where I live. It's amazing to see local bands play live for a while and then witness them become a national act.

I got heavily involved in the local scene in mid 06. Started  booking shows and promoting bands from the area as well and still do. When I book a show,I pay the soundboard guy $100.00 on a normal night and alway's hook up the bands with money as well. I don't look to profit off any local shows since I like to make sure the bands are paid right. I had the opportunity to start managing 4 local bands but recently narrowed it down to one. Four was too many so I stuck with the band that started it for me. I hope to put them on the map as a national act in 2009.

BTW---support the local bands in you're community

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: goldpony on Sep 29, 2008, 10:11 PM

^5 for the ohio shout out. there is also a pretty good classic rock type scene as well. but your right oldgent, we loves us the hardcore

I've been diggin' Dead Will Rise lately, from Athens, but the fuckers broke up. 

goldpony

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Oct 02, 2008, 04:02 PM
Quote from: goldpony on Sep 29, 2008, 10:11 PM

I've been diggin' Dead Will Rise lately, from Athens, but the fuckers broke up. 

check out 1point 3 from columbus sometime (i would include a myspace link but i'm at work). i think you would really dig them
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

oldgentlovecraft

Thanks, I'll look them up.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Good crust scene here. Cept' all the DIY venues keep getting shut down. No more warehouse shows. Now I have to pay $10+ as opposed to the old $0 - $5.

devilinside

I have a very active music scene,being Nashville and all. It's not all country either.