Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Ron Paul topic ( aka your candidate sucks topic )

Started by Variable, Oct 09, 2008, 12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

Two words: The media.

If all that the media is showing are the democrats and republicans then of course many people will only see Barack and McCain.  No one is willing to take a risk.  Many people vote blindly simply because a candidate is a part of the party they are affiliated with.  Seems like a lot of people who feel they are conservative must be a repub and if you are liberal you must be a democrat.  It's bullshit to just accept that one party will have certain views that oppose all the views of the opposite party.  Republicans are pro life so Democrats are pro choice. But if a republican is pro choice then obviously he's a bad person.  Why is he even a registered Republican??  Fuck these parties.  Seriously. 

defkitty

Quote from: defskull on Oct 15, 2008, 05:01 PM

If all that the media is showing are the democrats and republicans then of course many people will only see Barack and McCain.  No one is willing to take a risk.  Many people vote blindly simply because a candidate is a part of the party they are affiliated with.  Seems like a lot of people who feel they are conservative must be a repub and if you are liberal you must be a democrat.  It's bullshit to just accept that one party will have certain views that oppose all the views of the opposite party.  Republicans are pro life so Democrats are pro choice. But if a republican is pro choice then obviously he's a bad person.  Why is he even a registered Republican??  Fuck these parties.  Seriously. 

Yep parties are completely irrelevant today.  And they have been for quite sometime.  It seems party affilliation is like belonging to an exclusive frat or sorority.  It makes things simpler for people to just vote a straight ticket. They don't have to think about individual issues because to them (based on the limited options presented in the media) they relate to one more than the other and so on.  It's actually a bit insulting to the American public that we are left with only two major candidates to choose from.

So I guess easy is the new American way.  To semi-quote from Zeitgeist: as long as we have a cell phone that can make pancakes we don't want to rock the boat.  Sad.  And again the founders of our country were originally against this because it seperates the country too definitely.  So everyone joins a team and blindly follows anything they say.

he who dies with the most toys wins

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: defskull on Oct 15, 2008, 05:01 PM

If all that the media is showing are the democrats and republicans then of course many people will only see Barack and McCain.  No one is willing to take a risk.

How is voting 3rd party risky? Why in the hell should that ever even be considered risky at all?

defskull

What I mean is people aren't willing to go out of their comfort zone and do some research.   To many people Ralph Nader is unfamiliar.  Why take a risk with someone the media shows almost nothing about. 

Variable

That, and they have been convinced that the other party is evil and they would rather vote for the lesser of two evils just to keep this horribly evil Republican or Democrat out of office.  Which of course is total bull shit.

To grossly over simplify it.  Republicans are supposed to be a political party that believes in a very small federal government, tiny government spending, and states rights.  The Democrats are supposed to be a political party who believes is a much larger and powerful central government.  Pretty much, bigger government and more spending in order to improve the quality of life for American citizens.  No where, in the definition of a Republican or Democrat does it talk about being liberal or conservative.  No where in their doctrine does it talk about abortion , religious morals, progressive thinking...or whatever else people associate with these parties.

But what happened was that these parties pretty much merged with their ideas on how to govern the country.  Probably largely due to large campaign contributions from very wealthy men.  Probably a lot in part to things like central banking and other special interest.  Anyways.  They merged.  So now, instead of debating the best way to govern the country.  They try to make you feel like you are voting for ideals.  "change" "country first" instead of " an end to imperialism "  " No more central banks " "true free trade" " a monetary policy that makes sense" ect ect.  Because they all agree on how to govern.  So Republicans try to make you think that if you vote for them you are voting for the military, for patriotism,  for morals, and for Jesus.  Democrats try to make you think that if you vote for them you are voting for progression, the environment, civil right and and to poverty.  They only do this because they need something to draw a base from.  Republicans know they will get a large base of "social conservatives" and Democrats know they will get a large base of " progressive liberals" This way, they don't have to talk about how they are actually the same dam thing.  Jokes on us.

defskull

Haha.  Exactly.   And 'republican' has become such a dirty word.  Neocons have totally raped the republican party of the respect it used to have.  It's rather unfortunate.  What's worse is how unfortunate so many people are buying into it.

alvarezbassist17

it all hurts me in my heart-place.  let's take a stand.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: defskull on Oct 16, 2008, 01:55 AM
What I mean is people aren't willing to go out of their comfort zone and do some research.   To many people Ralph Nader is unfamiliar.  Why take a risk with someone the media shows almost nothing about. 

And what I mean is that it shouldn't matter wether or not the media talks about said candidate. It should be (and is) more risky to vote for whoever the media IS talking about.

alvarezbassist17

yes but the media is the utmost in attention grabbing as it takes much more effort to ignore the constant stream of political bullshit that plagues our collective television. 

obama's gonna win because of mtv

defskull

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Oct 18, 2008, 01:07 AM
Quote from: defskull on Oct 16, 2008, 01:55 AM
What I mean is people aren't willing to go out of their comfort zone and do some research.   To many people Ralph Nader is unfamiliar.  Why take a risk with someone the media shows almost nothing about. 

And what I mean is that it shouldn't matter wether or not the media talks about said candidate. It should be (and is) more risky to vote for whoever the media IS talking about.

Right.  I agree.  But most of America  doesn't want to do some research on their own.  They'd rather have the tv tell them everything the want to know.

Variable

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Oct 18, 2008, 01:13 AM

obama's gonna win because of mtv
No shit.  All this talk about young voters this year.  Its because most young voters don't know a god dam thing.  But they sure as shit are easy to influence.

I was looking at cars yesterday and the dude was from Iran.  Been in the states a while but I was trying to spit practice some Dari with him since Farsi and Dari are close languages.  Well so obviously he wants to know how I speak a Persian language and I tell him about going to Afghanistan and stuff.  So we start talking about the war.  Long story short dude says " oh its all about to be over soon.  When Obama gets elected all the wars will be over and there will be peace again.  He is going to sit down with every world leader and make peace and everything is going to be so good."
and he was dead serious.  Had this like day dreaming smile on his face and was 100% convinced this was true.  I was blown away.  I was like "  Um, I don't think thats quite true man.  Obama even wants to go to war in Pakistan" and he was like "no no man.  Its not like that.  Everything will be peace.  You will see." and I just left it at that.  It's amazing how much people don't know.

alvarezbassist17

you should need to take some form of test to make sure you know what the fuck you're talking about before you can vote.  pie in the sky, i know, but it's not like people have learned anything from the last two elections besides "ooo bush republican, republican bad, republican eeevil der der der der," not knowing they are no less evil than the democrats, who just disguise their party-furthering antics as philanthropy.

Variable

But democrats are all about love and peace and prosperity for all.  Or didn't you hear?

defskull

It's the stupid colonists fault.  If we only they hadn't rebelled against the British, everything would be ok.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Fucking colon-ists, trying to make better lives for themselves. What assholes.

devilinside

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Jerry_Curls

..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Nebontha

If I was American and Ron Paul was still running for office, I'd vote for him.  If I had to choose between Obama and McCain, Obama all the way, because Obama proved you can still be an upstanding American citizen without being an overly patriotic flag worshipping asshole.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.