Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Gold Topic

Started by Variable, Oct 09, 2008, 05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corleone

Wouldn't it make things worse for the economy if everyone took thier money from banks and put it into gold?

Isn't that one of the main problems to begin with? People are taking thier money out from the banks and now the banks want thier money from housing?

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Variable on Oct 09, 2008, 06:25 PM
and he did get rid of the central bank.  Then in 1913 we established another like it
ha i learned about that in Zeitgeist. you think a world government is in our future too?
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Variable

Quote from: Corleone on Oct 09, 2008, 06:33 PM
Wouldn't it make things worse for the economy if everyone took thier money from banks and put it into gold?

Isn't that one of the main problems to begin with? People are taking thier money out from the banks and now the banks want thier money from housing?
Thats what the banks want you to think.  People obviously still have to spend.  But gold would be a safe place to put your savings.  Its stable.  But banks thrive off you depositing money , so that they can create more debt.  If you get rid of all that debt, it cripples them.  This is a good thing.

Variable

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Oct 09, 2008, 06:36 PM
Quote from: Variable on Oct 09, 2008, 06:25 PM
and he did get rid of the central bank.  Then in 1913 we established another like it
ha i learned about that in Zeitgeist. you think a world government is in our future too?
yeah, I liked that they brought it up in that movie.

Oh, I just noticed your question.  I don't know about a world government.  But for sure a lot of very powerful people trying to control things over international borders.

tarkil

Quote from: Variable on Oct 09, 2008, 06:33 PM
you ass hole.  Good for you though. 

Take a look people, look at what the smart business man did. 

I bought some stocks too though... Tried to hold a diversified portfolio ya know.... 

Not really, in the end Gold is a speculative asset. So completely equivalent to money in the end.
When everything goes bad, people tend to buy some though, so price never really crashes...

That plus, oppositely to money which is plain paper with a face value, gold resources are limited, so you can't really "create new gold" as tey do when they print new money (debt as Variable is saying it)...

Quote from: Variable on Oct 09, 2008, 06:38 PM
Thats what the banks want you to think.  People obviously still have to spend.  But gold would be a safe place to put your savings.  Its stable.  But banks thrive off you depositing money , so that they can create more debt.  If you get rid of all that debt, it cripples them.  This is a good thing.

As said above, gold is not really stable.
Here is it's price during the last 10 years :

Not really stable as you can see. But in the long term, it (supposedly) cannot lose value for the reasons exposed above.

And no banks want you to deposit money to "create more debt". That basically makes no sense anyway.
They need your money to do their job. As a carpenter would need wood on a daily basis, they need money on a daily basis.
Then, they can buy some assets, sell some others, lend money to people / corporations needing it, etc. Basically money is their fuel, and the biggest problem these days is that there isn't any money left liquid on the market, so banks cannot really work anymore, finance others etc.
That's when the crisis spread to the "real" world because companies cannot borrow money for their running costs.
Stupid example : they buy iron to build a car. They need to buy it in January, but they will only be able to sell it on June. They need to have money to buy the goods first, then they will be able to give it back after they sold their car.

This is where we are arriving today... Fucked up...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

mr.sinister

Man the fed sure knows how to fuck shit up.

goldpony

buy and hold people. now is a great time to invest in the stock market as well. as with any asset, if you look to make a quick profit you will lose. but if youre young (i dont belive any member is over 35 here) and buy and hold, you'll come out ahead
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

deftonekid

But for sure a lot of very powerful people trying to control things over international borders.
yeah, I hate those fuckers

Muzic Junkie

I'm far away form america
so.......

At least i gotta lotta sheep

Variable

Quote from: Muzic Junkie on Oct 10, 2008, 06:24 AM
I'm far away form america
so.......

At least i gotta lotta sheep
Its a global crash in the markets.  And as I said, all the central banks of the world collaborated in the interest drop.
Quote from: tarkil on Oct 09, 2008, 06:51 PM
Quote from: Variable on Oct 09, 2008, 06:33 PM
you ass hole.  Good for you though. 

Take a look people, look at what the smart business man did. 

I bought some stocks too though... Tried to hold a diversified portfolio ya know.... 

Not really, in the end Gold is a speculative asset. So completely equivalent to money in the end.
When everything goes bad, people tend to buy some though, so price never really crashes...

That plus, oppositely to money which is plain paper with a face value, gold resources are limited, so you can't really "create new gold" as tey do when they print new money (debt as Variable is saying it)...

Thats what the banks want you to think.  People obviously still have to spend.  But gold would be a safe place to put your savings.  Its stable.  But banks thrive off you depositing money , so that they can create more debt.  If you get rid of all that debt, it cripples them.  This is a good thing.

As said above, gold is not really stable.
Here is it's price during the last 10 years :

Not really stable as you can see. But in the long term, it (supposedly) cannot lose value for the reasons exposed above.

And no banks want you to deposit money to "create more debt". That basically makes no sense anyway.
They need your money to do their job. As a carpenter would need wood on a daily basis, they need money on a daily basis.
Then, they can buy some assets, sell some others, lend money to people / corporations needing it, etc. Basically money is their fuel, and the biggest problem these days is that there isn't any money left liquid on the market, so banks cannot really work anymore, finance others etc.
That's when the crisis spread to the "real" world because companies cannot borrow money for their running costs.
Stupid example : they buy iron to build a car. They need to buy it in January, but they will only be able to sell it on June. They need to have money to buy the goods first, then they will be able to give it back after they sold their car.

This is where we are arriving today... Fucked up...
well of course the price of gold will fluctuate and go up with inflation.  The big draw to gold is that you pretty much never lose the buying power over the years.  So if a hand made wool rug from the 6th century cost 1 ounce of gold.  In the 21st century, a hand made wool rug will still cost, 1 ounce of gold.  Putting a dollar value to that kind of distracts from the principal.  Gold does not inflate.  Because as you said, you cant just produce it from thin air.  It has historically maintained its value since ancient Egypt.

and as far as debt.  Yes, the banks do create debt though your deposits.  When you deposit money, you give them permission to loan out that money.  But you are still able to withdraw on your deposit.  So they loan out all of your money to other people, plus all of your money to you.  That is because they are charging you more interest to those who loaned your money, than they are paying you.  And if you loan from them, they are charging you more interest than they are paying you to have the money in the bank.  That is how they make their money, though debt.  They make money from nothing in order to charge you interest on your debt.  But it is illegal for them to do so, unless you deposit your already non existent money into their bank.  So you have to deposit in order for them to create debt. 

I mean, I have only recently took an interest into economics and banking.  I am not an expert by any means.  If you know something I don't, by all means, please explain.  But this is the way I understand the system.
Quote from: goldpony on Oct 09, 2008, 11:09 PM
buy and hold people. now is a great time to invest in the stock market as well. as with any asset, if you look to make a quick profit you will lose. but if youre young (i dont belive any member is over 35 here) and buy and hold, you'll come out ahead
Yes, as long as our current fucked up system stays in place.  This is a great time to buy stocks that are normally very expensive.  Then just forget about them.  Let them regain their value over the next decade.  It's a very good time to do something like that.  It's all about patience for us youngsters.

tarkil

Quote from: Variable on Oct 10, 2008, 06:53 AM
and as far as debt.  Yes, the banks do create debt though your deposits.  When you deposit money, you give them permission to loan out that money.  But you are still able to withdraw on your deposit.  So they loan out all of your money to other people, plus all of your money to you.  That is because they are charging you more interest to those who loaned your money, than they are paying you.  And if you loan from them, they are charging you more interest than they are paying you to have the money in the bank.  That is how they make their money, though debt.  They make money from nothing in order to charge you interest on your debt.  But it is illegal for them to do so, unless you deposit your already non existent money into their bank.  So you have to deposit in order for them to create debt.

I mean, I have only recently took an interest into economics and banking.  I am not an expert by any means.  If you know something I don't, by all means, please explain.  But this is the way I understand the system.

I'm busy right now (markets are crashing like mad again in Asia...) but I'll explain you over the week end...
Well, that is if I remember to do so...   :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Variable

you better fucking remember

defkitty

This Bailout/Rescue whatever the fuck it is sux!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did anyone else see where only 6 days (that's right fucking 6 days) after their super duper billion dollar bailout AIG fuckers went to a luxurious retreat (supposedly to "motivate" their high sellers) and spent thousands of company (yours and mine) dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I want my fucking 300 dollar massage too fucking cunts!!!!
Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

he who dies with the most toys wins

Variable

Yeah it's bull shit.  I almost think they just sent some disposable people out on that retreat to test the waters and see exactly how much they will be regulated.  These guys are not stupid.  I guess they could just be that arrogant though.

defkitty

Arrogant is correct.

Even the fucking mob waits awhile before they spend the spoils.

he who dies with the most toys wins

Variable

Well I mean, the bailout was a horrible idea anyways.  It was only passed because the politicians need to scrath the backs of the Fed or else they are done.

Variable

[youtube=425,350]xIsHD7nwTbU[/youtube]
Good advice from Jim Rogers

Muzic Junkie

The leaders of ......all things ...all the same

Greedy
Selfish

They never really care about people just themselves....And if they wern't that when they were made "leaders" then the're basically destined to be it....Because theyd rather have they're million dollar cake then give .....to anything

Damn Leaders!
Damn Selfish people!
Damn Greedy buggers!
DAMN THEM ALL!!

Variable

I don't know about all that

Muzic Junkie

lol pratically every human in the world is selfish
so i t has to be true, its the social norm to be selfish

Theres just diffrent extremes of selfishness

IN reality all anyone cares about is themselves, its how we're programmed. ( mistake i shouldve just said people)
A person can say they'd rather live  a year eating shit to save africa ( Weird example) But alot of people wouldn't do it in action. its just all words

And politicions are the same actually its there job. We live off the words they say, somtimes its just lies that'll never happen ( Eg political campaigns..not everything but some things)

We hope and live off the belief that they'll "save " us But is anyone really doing anythign? i mean half of america's just hoping right?
Hoping that they'll be a good plan, that people will be smart...Wooow kinda strayed form the topic
Alot of people would rather have there needs satisfied then other people...

As for the gold. it is good to buy up now ( obviosuly) But what if tommrrow it takes a slide and is virtually worth nothing...Bit then everythings a risk..But what good would gold do? if money was worth nothing...Trading in gold? lol

I think ive finished my little rant  :)