Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Should Variable...?

Started by wither-I, Oct 23, 2008, 03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldpony

Quote from: Variable on Jan 11, 2009, 07:24 AM
Quote from: goldpony on Jan 10, 2009, 09:45 PM
i would, one of the most stable jobs out there, even if the pay ceiling is low
The pay ceiling in the Navy or medical field?  Because the medical pay is pretty dam good.  But really, the pay in the military is a lot better than most people think.  You have to factor in all the benefits and special pays we get.  If you look up the pay chats, that is the minimum we get.  I get paid a lot more than what those pay charts say + benefits

i meant the medical field (depending on what you do), for instance i am a medical technologist (lab person) and unless i go back to school (PA, Masters) i can only hope to make maybe 60-70 grand tops. The pay is good, i was just talking about the ceiling, you wont make much more than what you start at (i.e. that 60-70 is only after a long career, though i started at 45; a 35 grand increase over a lifetime of work is nothing) which is true for the entire medical field
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Jan 10, 2009, 05:59 AM
Are you planning on staying in the medical field once your time in the Navy is complete?
I was working in the medical field for two and a half years before I joined the Navy as an EMT I.  It was a good gig for an 18 year old.  But I don't know any more.  I still ponder the Idea of going to med school or PA school.  But I really want to go to law school.  We will see.

Good luck whatever you do, from the chats with ya I'm sure you'll find what you love and jump right in head first.

Variable

Quote from: goldpony on Jan 12, 2009, 11:46 PM
Quote from: goldpony on Jan 10, 2009, 09:45 PM
i would, one of the most stable jobs out there, even if the pay ceiling is low
The pay ceiling in the Navy or medical field?  Because the medical pay is pretty dam good.  But really, the pay in the military is a lot better than most people think.  You have to factor in all the benefits and special pays we get.  If you look up the pay chats, that is the minimum we get.  I get paid a lot more than what those pay charts say + benefits

i meant the medical field (depending on what you do), for instance i am a medical technologist (lab person) and unless i go back to school (PA, Masters) i can only hope to make maybe 60-70 grand tops. The pay is good, i was just talking about the ceiling, you wont make much more than what you start at (i.e. that 60-70 is only after a long career, though i started at 45; a 35 grand increase over a lifetime of work is nothing) which is true for the entire medical field
Yeah but that's a lot of jobs. I know what you mean though.  Last I checked in Albuquerque ( about 3 years ago ) Paramedics capped out at $18.00 an hour.  And it was really hard to get past that.  Maybe 21 after a stupid amount of time.  And nurses pretty much right around $50.00 after a few years experience.  But like you said, theres always Nurse practitioner and PA programs.  Becoming a firefighter for paramedics is also a good way to help.  The medical field has a lot of options in my opinion.  Especially for Navy Corpsmen like myself.  Holy shit man.  There are something like 70 c schools I could go to.  Its crazy.  I would hate working in the Lab though.  More power to you.

But if I stay in the medical field, I will more than likely stay in the Military.  I like the military.  Its a good lifestyle.  I get to move around a lot and  Do a lot of crazy shit.  I get exposed to so many different people and situations.  I don't know, its just cool.  I like living a life that challenges me.  So I don't see me getting out, and doing the same job in the civilian world.  I would lose a lot of stability, my retirement, shit tons of benefits, and a lifestyle I enjoy.  The only way I see getting out, is if I chose another career path.  Such as law school.  I want to study economics for my bachelors and then go to law school to study constitutional law.  So, we shall see.

Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Jan 17, 2009, 07:09 PM
Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Jan 10, 2009, 05:59 AM
Are you planning on staying in the medical field once your time in the Navy is complete?
I was working in the medical field for two and a half years before I joined the Navy as an EMT I.  It was a good gig for an 18 year old.  But I don't know any more.  I still ponder the Idea of going to med school or PA school.  But I really want to go to law school.  We will see.

Good luck whatever you do, from the chats with ya I'm sure you'll find what you love and jump right in head first.
Head first indeed.  Hopefully its not shallow water!  But thanks man.  I still got a couple years to figure it out.  But hopefully the choice comes easy and I do figure it out.

What are you up to these days man?  Its been so long since I have really talked to you, I kinda forget what you got going on.

13hourstoparadise

Thanks for asking...

I was working for a company based out of N.Y./N.J. - they hired me to work @ Microsoft since I live so close, it was going well but when the ecomony took a shit I was laid off. So currently I'm living off unemployment and playing guitar and Halo 3. Most bored I've ever been... I need to find more hobbies or a job soon.

Variable

Dam.  Shitty luck.  Its a shame we can't get paid to post here

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: Variable on Jan 22, 2009, 06:10 AM
Dam.  Shitty luck.  Its a shame we can't get paid to post here

You'd be a millionaire and I'd be your best friend.  ;D

I've been laid off three times in the last two years... Obama, fix this mess... Pa pa please...

Variable

Probably not the right man to be talking to bud.  But it will get better eventually.  The stability of the military is pretty nice right about now.

13hourstoparadise

Yeah, thanks to all the fucking money I give to the federal government... They take 28% of my paycheck. BULLSHIT! I hate this country... Sometimes.