Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Bret Easton Ellis

Started by theis, Oct 29, 2008, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

Bret Easton Ellis (born March 7, 1964 in Los Angeles, California) is an American author.
He was regarded as one of the so-called literary Brat Pack,  which also included Tama Janowitz and Jay McInerney. He has called himself a moralist, although he is one of his generation's most controversial authors because of his graphic prose style.
Influenced by French social realists like Flaubert and Balzac, Ellis updates those novelists' themes of youthful ennui, materialism, status obsession, and social trangression; he also employs their technique of linking novels with common, recurring characters. His dystopic locales typically make use of large, dense cities such as Los Angeles, New York and Paris.

Bibliography:

* Less Than Zero (1985)
* The Rules of Attraction (1987)
* American Psycho (1991)
* The Informers (linked short stories, 1994)
* Glamorama (1998)
* Lunar Park (2005)
* Imperial Bedrooms - Sequel to Less Than Zero (Expected 2010)

i love his work.

i can't point out a weak book of his. they're all brilliantly written.

not to mention they translate great into films. both American Psycho and The Rules of Attraction are some of my favorite movies.
The Informers and Lunar Park are currently being made into movies. can't wait for that.

lostpilot

well, as you know I've read Rules of Attraction, and I loved both movie and the book.. very very nice.

and I am willing to read more by him :)

theis

you'd like Less Than Zero.

it also has the whole fucked up youth/drugs theme going.

Jedidiah Solomon

Are you the guy that does all the reviews on amazon.com?

lithium

lunar park is gonna make an awesome movie
💩

theis

Quote from: Jedidiah Solomon on Oct 29, 2008, 09:54 PM

i've never written a review on amazon...and i'm pretty sure there's more than one guy writing reviews on that site.

Quote from: lithium on Oct 29, 2008, 09:55 PM

fuck yeah.

i wonder who they'll pick to play the role of Ellis.

Jedidiah Solomon

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Oct 29, 2008, 10:19 PM
Quote from: Jedidiah Solomon on Oct 29, 2008, 09:54 PM

i've never written a review on amazon...and i'm pretty sure there's more than one guy writing reviews on that site.

Quote from: lithium on Oct 29, 2008, 09:55 PM

fuck yeah.

i wonder who they'll pick to play the role of Ellis.

I thought you knew sarcasm.

lithium

💩

theis

holy shit, that's awesome. i never thought of him.

tarkil

Love his books indeed... Really really good... Read all of them apart from Glamorama I think....

Really good.

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

devilinside

Starting American Psycho today.

theis

Quote from: devilinside on Dec 10, 2008, 07:55 PM

bon appetit :D

can't wait to read your thoughts on it, hehe.

devlin

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Dec 10, 2008, 08:48 PM

bon appetit :D

can't wait to read your thoughts on it, hehe.

how is it compared to the movie? i love the two movies but haven't read any of his stuff.

theis

the book is 100times more nasty and sick than the movie. if they'd showed the stuff he does in the book, in the movie, it would've been banned everywhere.

example: in the book, Bateman puts cheese up a woman's vagina, then he pushes a tube up in her and then he releases a rat into the tube... you can imagine where it goes from there.

still, i love the movie. they did a great job with it.

ps. you said you love the TWO movies? there's only one American Psycho movie based on the book. i dont hope you're talking about the godawful sequel with Mila Kunis, are you? one of the worst movies i've ever seen.

devlin

wow that sounds fucking sick. i'll definitly need to read his books.

tarkil

It will change you from you recent fairy tales I bet....  ;)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

lithium

lol, time for a big kids book
💩

devilinside

Right...coming from the hitchhikers guide kid. Least I dont have Twilight posters on MY walls...Ooooooooooooooooooooooh

Shaye

Ellis is amazing.

I've read all of his books and I highly recommend them. My favorites are Lunar Park and Glamorama though.

They're all good and while I liked the movie American Psycho, I didn't enjoy the book to much. The movie is pretty true to the book aside from some minor details and a few scenes that were left out. But the book was hard to read. Every time a character is introduced, there's a whole paragraph about what the character is wearing, designer suits, shoes, scarfs etc. I get that this is important because it shows just how materialistic and whacked out Patrick Bateman is, but for some reason it screwed with my ability to stay interested in reading the book. I got about 3 quarters of the way through it and just put it down.

sharingbuns

why does it sting so badly when i urinate?
plz help!!!
Quote from: goldpony on Nov 15, 2008, 09:08 PM
how do know when its ok to piitb? and should you ask first?