Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Smashing Pumpkins

Started by Deftonesaddict, Oct 30, 2008, 04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deftonesaddict

new songs from the pumpkins: OWATA, As Rome Burns, Song For A Son and a cover of Sounds Of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel). As Rome Burns fuckin' rocks

here's the show @ Mountain View this month in mp3 and flac

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSmashingPumpkins-BridgeSchoolBenefit10.26.08

SP - As Rome Burns (Live)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ymmdflzzzil

SP - Sounds Of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel Cover Live)

http://www.mediafire.com/?nguazruqyai

SP - OWATA (Live)

http://www.mediafire.com/?3xzfmujyltt

SP - Song For A Son (Live)

http://www.mediafire.com/?z41ymdm14nm

ablackswan

[youtube=425,350]2nLwRerd8II[/youtube]

QuoteBilly Corgan Prepares To Test That "1000 True Fans" Hypothesis By Alienating A Huge Chunk Of His Audience

A concert that ends with the performer trying to connect with this audience by wondering aloud, as they might, "Did I pay for this shit?" is probably a show that's beset with problems. So it was with the Smashing Pumpkins' show in New York City last night, Billy Corgan et al's first performance in the NYC metro area in nine (!) years, which ended with Corgan baiting the audience with that very taunt, according to Matthew Perpetua, who was in the United Palace audience last night. There were also "at least 40 minutes of formless prog-metal dirges and artless, atonal drones," and lousy setlists that eschewed the depths of the Pumpkins' catalog in favor of the track from the trailer for The Watchmen and other new songs. (Also, he wore a "Zero" shirt but didn't play the song in question, which just seems cruel, you know?)

Now, it's bad enough to subject your audience to about 40 minutes of abrasive, deliberately off-putting music, but it's even more uncool to come back for an encore that mocks them for not being 100% with you, and feeling disappointed for not hearing more of what they expected to hear from a show billed as a 20th anniversary concert. In conventional show biz logic, if you're going to go that far, you should at least leave the audience with a crowd-pleaser. In Billy Corgan logic, you come out and perform one of the lesser songs from your best-selling album, and then finish off with a song that mixes disingenuous hippy-dippy "everyone is beautiful!" lyrics with improvised sarcastic rants that outright diss the city you're playing in, mock the fans for paying to see your band, and tell your visibly disappointed audience that you'll see them in hell. It was full-on douche-tastic passive-aggression. It's as if he set out to do this heel turn, and purposefully alienate as much of the audience as possible. Well, it worked. Believe me, unless you've witnessed other shows on this tour, it's unlikely you've seen a more defeated audience exit from a rock show.

Sure, tonight's show apparently has a different, better set list. But one can't help but wonder what's going on. The only explanation is the heel-turn idea outlined by Perpetua, and really, it seems kinda logical: Corgan's fetishization of wrestling has resulted in him going all Hollywood on his fans... but they shouldn't worry, since the next five years will consist of him realizing his transgressions and redeeming himself just in time for a 25th anniversary tour. (After all, anniversaries with precious-metal associations are so much more profitable!)

QuoteCritics tag Corgan for "homophobic" comment at 2nd NYC show
Monday, November 10th, 2008
Echoing remarks by blogger Matthew Perpetua, here's Kyle Anderson of Rolling Stone:

New songs like "Song for a Son" and "As Rome Burns" got lost in the theater's strange acoustics, while even favorites like "Disarm" lacked teeth. Clearly losing the crowd, Corgan invited a fan onto the stage to voice his opinion about Thursday's show. The fan told him, "Last night's show sucked," and for a minute it looked like Corgan was going to take criticism in stride for once. But as the fan was walking back to his seat, Corgan shouted, "By the way, I liked that song you wrote. What was it called? 'Take Your Dick Out of My Ass and Stick It in My Mouth'? That was a big hit in Europe." For a guy who has made his money airing out his own tales of childhood torment and abuse, it seemed strange and hypocritical for him to resort to playground name-calling and juvenile homophobia.

Corgan then rewarded his devoted audience with the 20-plus minute prog jam "Gossamer" and an utterly ridiculous version of "The March Hare" that devolved into a percussion jam that channeled Stomp.
*Tous ensemble pour leur foutre au cul*

Quote from: VesanicJustin Bieber sounds like Adrenaline

Jizzlobber

Time to find a day job i guess.
<

scatterbrain

these guys were my favorite band in my youth.its sad to see what a piece of shit they or just billy has become over the years.
im me and thats all ill ever be

ablackswan

Quote from: scatterbrain on Nov 13, 2008, 05:48 PM
these guys were my favorite band in my youth.its sad to see what a piece of shit they or just billy has become over the years.

all blames go to billy, he is the dictator, he decides, he composes, they play.
they just seem happy to play in a band called the smashing pumpkins, but it's a total fake
*Tous ensemble pour leur foutre au cul*

Quote from: VesanicJustin Bieber sounds like Adrenaline

mr.sinister

He is shit in deed. And my sister has tickets to see him December 3. They better not be playing off this shit all tour long.

Jizzlobber

Quote from: ablackswan on Nov 13, 2008, 06:57 PM

they just seem happy to play in a band called the smashing pumpkins, but it's a total fake

yeah , sadly thats the way it is.

Bands with dictators never work, they always fall off somehow. SP were one of my favorite bands when i was a teenager too...i can still listen to their old songs but this crap has tarnished their 'legacy'. nice one Billy!
<

i kill for fun

yea billy corgan is a major control freak, but he ALWAYS  has been I mean he has gotten worse over the years, but lets face it, he has always written all the songs excluding like 2, and even recoreded siamese dream by himself....aside from the manipulation, i think he has just gotten full of himself as well as completley disconnected from the fans
"playful deception is the lowest form of Tom-foolery"
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die"

Jizzlobber

He's certainly disconnected from the fans, but more so, he's disconnected with the beauty of being a functional BAND..
<

lithium

💩

Fireal1222

mellon collie was such an amazing album. i dont know why people even waste there time on the pumpkins anymore

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

wither-I

i saw them at voodoo fest in 07 and they sucked so bad. billy tried making bullshit speeches. people were fleeing in droves. it was an epic scene, oh how they have fallen off :(

"coming into the nearness of distance"

cEvin Key

I was just listening to this one and I think it sounds really awesome.
It's a pity it's does not have proper mixing and mastering.
And it sounds way better and creative than everything he released after.

(maybe this should just be a post in the smashing pumpkins thread instead of having a thread of it's own?)

Deftones-argentina

I listened to it last week for the first time & didn't do anything to me at all, maybe more plays will help. Machina I did cause me a good impression, though. By the way, the last ep they released a few weeks ago is fantastic, it's of their best material & would recommend anyone to take a spin on it.

Mothman

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Dec 08, 2010, 08:21 PM
I listened to it last week for the first time & didn't do anything to me at all, maybe more plays will help. Machina I did cause me a good impression, though. By the way, the last ep they released a few weeks ago is fantastic, it's of their best material & would recommend anyone to take a spin on it.
Yeah, guess Teargarden's gonna be a really interesting journey through Billy's reborn psychedelia and all that stuff. I really like A Stitch in Time, A Song for a Son and A Stitch in Time, but I don't know why the frak he included The Fellowship in the new project, it sucks xD
You move like I want to.

Deftones-argentina

Actually I love the Fellowship to death dude, I guess just like the deftones the smashing also provides their audience with many sides of them. Some like some, some not. by the way, If anybody liked zwan, I discovered two acoustic bootlegs on soulseek you should check out (they contain some unreleased songs that are hidden gems)

E-Money

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Dec 09, 2010, 04:55 AM
Actually I love the Fellowship to death dude, I guess just like the deftones the smashing also provides their audience with many sides of them. Some like some, some not. by the way, If anybody liked zwan, I discovered two acoustic bootlegs on soulseek you should check out (they contain some unreleased songs that are hidden gems)

I thought the fellowship was great as well. 

Hidalgo

Quote from: Jizzlobber on Nov 15, 2008, 09:32 AM
Quote from: ablackswan on Nov 13, 2008, 06:57 PM

yeah , sadly thats the way it is.

Bands with dictators never work, they always fall off somehow. SP were one of my favorite bands when i was a teenager too...i can still listen to their old songs but this crap has tarnished their 'legacy'. nice one Billy!
megadeth works fine with a dictator, but yea, usually it doesn't work. billy has lost that magic he had in the 90s

Crazylegs

Dude! New project from Jimmy Chamberlin.
Skysaw - No One Can Tell

sounds really good.