Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Dexter

Started by White Pwny, Dec 03, 2008, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

I thought season 5 started slow and became really good. So I guess I'm in the minority on that.

I thought season 6 opener was cheesy. It just seemed all too typical.

Intro of new main baddy (including a terrible performance by Collin Hanks)? Check
Intro to theme of season that Dexter must deal with? Check
Dexter wanting to kill someone that will consume a great deal of the episode but mean nothing at all? Check
Time spent on subplots and characters that I think literally no fan cares about? Check.

I usually like the humorous parts of Dexter but this first episode seemed forced. I'm still optimistic but it's not off to the best start.

Plus there is Mos Def to look forward to.

bright lights, big city

forgot about Mos Def, that'll be good.

Quote from: defskull on Oct 07, 2011, 03:22 AM
Time spent on subplots and characters that I think literally no fan cares about? Check.
This has been my complaint for awhile. It's why it can never be a top tier show for me. It's also the reason I wish Deb and Quinn would GTFO. I really don't give a shit about any of the side characters on Dexter.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

chick de la lynch

Structurally speaking, without character subplots the show would be boring. Following Dexter the whole time? Eh, I love his character but I really don't want to see him on the screen the whole time. I'm okay with side character subplots just so as long as they're interesting characters. I hear that in the novels LaGuerta was killed in the first book and I wish the show stayed true to the book in that regard. I seriously cannot stand her. She's not sympathetic and she sure as hell is not likable. Deb HAS to stay, though. Dexter's biggest fear is having Deb find out who he truly is and if you take Deb out of the equation then what is Dexter's true motivations besides remaining normal? The show would definitely go down the tubes and I think right now Dexter fans are just waiting for the day Deb finds out his dirty secret.

The big problem is there aren't enough likable characters on this show which makes any character subplot annoying and tedious. Besides Dexter and Deb, the only likable people on there are Batiste and Masuka and they barely get any screen time.

lukas989

I must concur.  Ive thoroughly enjoyed Dexter, but if theres any any sense then this season will be the last.  It was a good idea to have someone get in on the secret, but overall it didnt even get close to the heady heights of seasons 2 and 4.  They made a big mistake taking out (at least on the surface) of Dexter getting discovered at the end of season 5.  There should have been a heavy leaning towards someone (preferably Deb) having a serious reason to take on the baton carried throughout the season by Quinn, if not he himself.  As an avid fan of Breaking Bad, theres a lot to be said about a feeling of a series recognising a natural end rather than eeking it out until the broadcasting channel deciding enoughs enough.  Michael C Hall is a guy I definitely want to see in other guises anyway - time for something fresh.

defskull

Nothing wrong with having subplots/characters, it's just that lot of them are boring. Their stories take multiple episodes and don't add anything to the characters or the main story. It's basically filler. More interesting cast would help the show.

poofing acid

This show has just gotten interesting again.

bright lights, big city

Definitely. First time since season 4 I'm actually anticipating seeing what's going to happen next.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

chick de la lynch

Um, anyone else think that the show is starting to become a lost cause? Especially after that horrible atrocity in the last episode? I can't believe they're making another two seasons of this show. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this show needs to be put of its misery. Like yesterday.

theis

Nope, I still love it and have been enjoying season 6 a lot.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the Internet I doubt I would've seen the Travis/Gellar twist coming. I'm just glad it was the season finale twist.

I think something big is going to happen. Something's definitely brewing..Louis, the intern. Him having the ITK's hand in his apartment was interesting. He also seems weirdly fascinated with Dexter.

sing blue silver

season six is certainly making up for the awfulness of season five as far as i'm concerned. loving every minute.

theis

To call any season of Dexter "awful" is a hyperbole.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Nov 30, 2011, 10:01 PM
Um, anyone else think that the show is starting to become a lost cause? Especially after that horrible atrocity in the last episode? I can't believe they're making another two seasons of this show. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this show needs to be put of its misery. Like yesterday.
I've been saying this for awhile, so I'm with ya. This twist was an interesting ploy, I'm not going to say I knew it the whole time, but since the first episode I've been suspicious of Geller's appearances. It's still pretty much a rip-off of Fight Club and Sixth Sense, though. Theis better be right.... there better be something big at stake soon for Dex or Deb.

Either way the series shouldn't be going 8 seasons. We all know the series peaked at season 4. Why continue it for so long when it started to get stale immediately after the 4th season? It's just getting to be common sense shit now. How does a serial killer who sabotages homicide investigations not get caught yet? Deb is supposed to be a great detective, but how is she not suspicious of all of Dexter's actions?
DERP

defskull

The end of season 5 was so awesome with Deb almost finding out. I feel like they pissed away a perfect opportunity to have this season focus on her maybe investigating more into who killed those guys.

Anyway, season 6 has been fucking terrible. The episode where Brian comes back and Dexter goes to Nebraska was incredibly bad. I seriously expected the end of the episode to be Dexter waking up from a dream. DERRRRRRP lets pick my dad up on the side of the road. It's metaphors guyssss. Stupid.

Also, I def did not see the twist coming but it's forced. Terribly forced. I'm pretty sure earlier in the episode Dexter mentions seeing Gellar go into the college. Maybe I'm wrong. But the twist seems very lame.

theis

Quote from: defskull on Dec 01, 2011, 03:53 AM
I'm pretty sure earlier in the episode Dexter mentions seeing Gellar go into the college.

That's Travis who says that...when he's sitting in the car, outside the campus, with Dexter.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Dec 01, 2011, 01:53 AM
Quote from: chick de la lynch on Nov 30, 2011, 10:01 PM
I've been saying this for awhile, so I'm with ya. This twist was an interesting ploy, I'm not going to say I knew it the whole time, but since the first episode I've been suspicious of Geller's appearances. It's still pretty much a rip-off of Fight Club and Sixth Sense, though. Theis better be right.... there better be something big at stake soon for Dex or Deb.

Either way the series shouldn't be going 8 seasons. We all know the series peaked at season 4. Why continue it for so long when it started to get stale immediately after the 4th season? It's just getting to be common sense shit now. How does a serial killer who sabotages homicide investigations not get caught yet? Deb is supposed to be a great detective, but how is she not suspicious of all of Dexter's actions?

It feels like Deb gets so close to finding out, then she takes two steps back. It feels like the writers are putting her through this awkward dance that is just going to be spaced out for another two years. It's aggravating and very stupid.

The "twist" seemed like something the writers pulled out of their ass in the last minute, a grasping for straws type of moment. I saw an interview with one of the show runners, and it felt like he was bullshitting the explanation as to why Gellar was actually Travis' dark passenger. I wasn't buying it, and I'm still not buying it.

I'm still going to continue to watch this show though. I've devoted six seasons to this show, I need to see how it ends. I'd rather see it end sooner rather than later.

The end of season 5 was so awesome with Deb almost finding out. I feel like they pissed away a perfect opportunity to have this season focus on her maybe investigating more into who killed those guys.

Anyway, season 6 has been fucking terrible. The episode where Brian comes back and Dexter goes to Nebraska was incredibly bad. I seriously expected the end of the episode to be Dexter waking up from a dream. DERRRRRRP lets pick my dad up on the side of the road. It's metaphors guyssss. Stupid.

You bring up a good point. Especially since Deb is now Lieutenant, it would have been a great subplot creating more tension between Dex and Deb had she continued investigating those murders.

I was expecting so much more from Brian coming back. Another great opportunity pissed away. It wasn't gratifying, and seemed pointless, but I guess we're going to have to wait and see if his appearance affects the season finale. I just think it was the writer's attempt to breathe life back into the show.

defskull

Quote from: theis on Dec 01, 2011, 09:10 AM
I'm pretty sure earlier in the episode Dexter mentions seeing Gellar go into the college.

That's Travis who says that...when he's sitting in the car, outside the campus, with Dexter.

Still, Dexter looked and saw someone as well. Dexter also knew what Gellar looked like. So....did he randomly fuck up?

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Dec 01, 2011, 10:51 PM

I'm still going to continue to watch this show though. I've devoted six seasons to this show, I need to see how it ends. I'd rather see it end sooner rather than later.
Exactly. Now I know how those people who grew to dislike Lost felt.
DERP

poofing acid

Lame season and then a cliffhanger like that?  So gay.

theis

I dug it, but goddamn, I wanna know what happens next...NOW!

chick de la lynch

Quote from: poofing acid on Dec 19, 2011, 05:24 AM
Lame season and then a cliffhanger like that?  So gay.

Agreed.

I thought the writers were joking about making a Deb/Dex romantic plot line. I guess I was wrong. The last minute was the show's saving grace. Now that Deb knows, how are the next two seasons going to play out?