Previous topic - Next topic

lithium

Quote from: devilinside on Oct 01, 2012, 06:47 PM
I want Deb offed...so tired of her.
Her and dexter need to get it on first
💩

devilinside

Cullision

Any predictions for the last season coming up?

theis

Damn good season so far.

lostpilot

Yes it is pretty good.
The serial killer whisperer is awesome

bright lights, big city

Anyone else starting to feel bad for Quinn always being a fuck-up?
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lostpilot

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jul 17, 2013, 01:08 PM

Quinn is a very poorly written character = I don't care

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jul 17, 2013, 01:08 PM

He's become a more sympathetic character for me, but there's also a part of me that agrees with lostpilot. The writers didn't seem to care about him so why should we?

Personally this season has been slow and tedious. I hope it picks up steam soon because I'm bored.

chick de la lynch

Just finished watching the series finale. I think the ending was satisfying with how much of a disappointment the series has been for the past 4 seasons. The last minute was probably my favorite moment in the past four seasons, which isn't saying a whole lot but I do appreciate how haunting that last minute was. If the show still employed half decent writers, this could have definitely been a knock out of the park.

I'm satisfied that Dexter reaped what he sowed, but there could have been other ways to accomplish this in less amount of time.

lostpilot

I can't say I am satisfied. Sad panda is sad

bright lights, big city

Yeah, it really wasn't too bad of a finale, even though there were some horrible, bone-headed moments (most recent in my memory is Dex walking out of the hospital with a corpse on a stretcher, and oh hey there's the dock with my boat!).  Really kind of wished more people found out about who he really was, like Batista and Quinn.

And if they were going to keep him alive at the end, just give him the happy goddamn ending in Argentina that were leading us to. Fuck this random potential mountain man Dexter spinoff.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

chick de la lynch

It's been a day since I watched it, and after reading many comments and letting it all sink in I realized the reason why I wasn't so disappointed by the finale was because I was expecting the absolute worst. By having that expectation I think I set myself up to be okay with whatever ending they pulled out.

I really don't know what the writers were thinking as far as logic goes. As a writer myself, I'm shocked that these people have jobs in the industry and I don't because if getting in the industry is just pulling out shit like this then I should have been hired while I was doing undergrad! As a writer, you have to be aware of all logical plot holes and it seems as if no one bothered to say "Hey, maybe Dexter carrying out a dead body out of the hospital would raise a few eyebrows even if there was a hurricane happening". It's really shameful.

It was a horrible season so any ending that came of it would be unsatisfying, but I think this is the most satisfying ending we were going to get considering the circumstances. I still love the way the last minute was shot. It was very Ingmar Bergman how silent and haunting it was. And if you ignore the pubes on Dexter's face, it was a pretty revelatory moment. Former show runner Clyde Phillps had a much better ending planned out:

QuoteIn the very last scene of the series. Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

I would have been totally on board with this ending.

lostpilot

Yeah I would have enjoyed the gallery version too.

I don't know if this is just me but it seems that some of the tv shows these days don't apply the true effect of transformation and cause-and-effect cycles. (I was watching new episode of Breaking Bad before Dexter, and the comparison is crazy, Br Ba is absolutely genius while Dexter is amateur-level writing) I don't feel like Dexter changed enough and got either a satisfying or dissatisfying finale (or CONSEQUENCES) - on one hand Harrison and Hannah (she's evil but I love her) are free to go as his legacy, but he's not there. So one would assume that if Dexter does not get to enjoy the slice of life with them, somewhat logically he should be on the other extreme - caught and put down by the police.  But that hasn't happened either - instead he's just.. somewhere in the mountains being a lumberjack. Way to go, writers!

There was absolutely no confrontation between his serial killer persona and the police in the last episode, and I really, really wanted him to be found out or stuck in the typical "loose ends" situation of previous seasons, it's entertaining to watch. It was the ultimate fear of the show to be found out and the writers just completely wasted the script here. Anyway, whole last season was not too good, meh. I don't think this episode really fulfilled it's role as a "closer" for the series. There were some fantastic moments just as Deb died and Dexter remembered how his son was born. But overall not really a good ending, lots of loopholes and wasted potential.

chick de la lynch

Clyde Phillips did a Reddit AMA and when he was asked what happened to the show after he left, he mentioned how it seemed as if the set-up of Dexter not acting like a human being was thrown out the window and all of a sudden he started to fall in love and have emotions. Phillips said that the writers abandoning the story line that took years to develop was being changed, and with it so did the audience. I think Phillips definitely has a point there. Season 5, when Dexter fell in love with Lumen, it seemed obvious we were not dealing with the same Dexter from season 1. I have been talking about this with Defskull lately and what keeps popping up in conversations is this show used to be about character study. The show became less about the mind of a serial killer and more about a guy living his day to day life and killing was something he did on the side.

With the reign of a new showrunner came the stupid, illogical story lines. Reading the writers' interviews after the show ended is aggravating. It sounds like they're just pulling shit out of their ass in an attempt to cover up their shoddy writing. Looking at Breaking Bad, you can see the writers love the show just as much as the fans. They deliver each week with a better episode. It seems as if the writers on Dexter got cocky and deemed themselves superior and just checked out for the past four years and by the time they got to the final season they just gave up.

The writing on the show just goes to show throwing in stereotypical story lines does not reel in more ratings. If anything, it just annoys the loyal fans and does a disservice to everyone involved with the show. I really wish I wasn't left with a bad taste in my mouth regarding this show. Many people were right; the show should have ended with season 4.

defskull

*reads on iPad that Dexter is dead* "Hey Harrison, lets get some ice cream." *fade to black*

defskull

Within the last month or so I binge watched Breaking Bad from beginning to catch up.  One thing that I initially noticed and enjoyed about the show is how everything has consequences.  If he wants to kill someone in that show, he can't just do it. He has to consider how he will get away it. Every single thing he does either needs to be well thought out so nothing bad happens or else there are repercussions. 

Juxtaposing that show with Dexter this season has been quite entertaining. You should say that now Dexter is in exile and this is his punishment. But seriously? I thought him going in to stab Saxon was his way of getting his revenge and allowing himself to be caught. It was interesting and I kind of liked the idea. Instead, everyone is like "whoa dexter, obvious self defense bro, but calm down".  Really? Dexter got away with everything. He even got away with boating into a hurricane and living. 

I will say though that this season had some of the best unintentional comedy I had seen in awhile.

Jacob

A disappointing finale to a disappointing series. Dexter used to be awesome, many seasons ago. It's had its moments lately, but I started losing more and more interest as the show went on, mainly because of two things: Dexter stopped being a cold-blooded killer and started becoming a normal guy, which pretty much went against the entire point of the show; and the writers became increasingly lazy and used cheap cop-outs and left enormous plot holes all over the place. The scenes where Dex pulls the plug on Deb and then carries her out to the boat, without no one noticing were just the last drop in what had become an ocean. Two other examples from this episode alone: no one got suspicious about Dex leaving a backpack on the airport, even though there's lots of people everywhere; everyone on the bus is both deaf and blind when Hannah poisons Elway. Lame things like this happened all the time over the last few seasons, and it almost got worse towards the end even.

Towards the end where it looked like Dex would kill himself I thought to myself "well, at least they didn't go for a happy-ever-after ending". But what do you know, the last thing we see is Dex still alive and well. I was so hoping this series would end with people finding out who Dex was, and the investigations and legal processes that would ensue. They could still have made him a hero and/or martyr, with the people who knew him sort of understanding and respecting him even if they had to put him in jail. It would have been so much more interesting, realistic and even emotional. This was such a cheap and unimaginative way to end the show. But I'm hardly surprised. I don't think I've ever seen a show go from such awesomeness to such suckiness. Except for maybe That 70's Show.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

devilinside

I thought this was the worst series finale I've ever watched. For Dexter to sit there and say he has to keep Hannah and Harrison safe by staying away...hello Dexter,Hannah is a killer too. I don't know if it's because of all the people he loved dying,but if you're moving on and moving forward,there would be no reason for any harm to come to them. How anyone can abandon their child is beyond me. (thats the mom talking) And I was laughing the whole time Dexter took Deb out of the hospital and just hopped on his boat. I understand there was chaos going on with the storm,but the valet dockside corpse pick-up was retarded. Oh well.

devilinside

Quote from: Jacob on Sep 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
I was so hoping this series would end with people finding out who Dex was, and the investigations and legal processes that would ensue. They could still have made him a hero and/or martyr, with the people who knew him sort of understanding and respecting him even if they had to put him in jail. It would have been so much more interesting, realistic and even emotional.

I had read on on spoiler site a few weeks back, a lot of the things they mentioned were true to the episode,some were not. The ones that were not were ones I was stoked about possibly being true. One was that Quinn told Dexter he knew all along that he was a killer,but because he loved Deb he left it alone. Another was he helped Dexter,Hannah and Harrison escape and ended up killing Saxon "Dexter" style,and they ended it leading you to believe that Quinn had gotten an itch for killing. And then after the storm,a lot of the bodies washed up that Dexter had dumped,and Batista mentions the Bay Harbor Butcher being back and Quinn tells him that the BHB has left town permanently and it dawns on Batista who Quinn is referring to. Hell,even that ending would have been better.

chick de la lynch

Playing Devil's Advocate here, I think the ending proved that Dexter couldn't have it all and that if he was going to live a serial killer lifestyle he was going to end up alone. Yeah, he did get away with murder but at the cost of losing everything he loves. Being in exile isn't necessarily getting off with anything, either. He's in his own personal hell now.

But it seemed so obvious he was a killer when he was taped murdering Saxon. I would have been much more satisfied if they found out about Dexter at that point in time and arrested him. That would have been the most satisfying ending in the shittiest season of the series. Alas, we're here. At the end of the day, I'm just glad this series has been put out of its misery.