Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Dexter

Started by White Pwny, Dec 03, 2008, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

just watched the finale and I'll have to agree with the lot of you - what a shocker that was!

I expected something to happen when he walked into his house, just a little twist to keep us hanging for next season. and when the phone rang and up until we saw Rita in the bathtub I kept thinking that she would be home and that she had seen/heard something. I did not expect her to be dead.

huge question though - how the hell did she die? are we supposed to think Trinity did it? if so, when and how did he manage that?
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

White Pwny

Yes, of course we are to believe Trinity did it... bathtub killings are his deal!    Not only that.. he found out how Dexter was found..... in his mothers blood... and that's how he had Dexter find HIS son.....    trippy as hell..    it was effed up.
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

sing blue silver

Quote from: Jacob on Dec 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
just watched the finale and I'll have to agree with the lot of you - what a shocker that was!

I expected something to happen when he walked into his house, just a little twist to keep us hanging for next season. and when the phone rang and up until we saw Rita in the bathtub I kept thinking that she would be home and that she had seen/heard something. I did not expect her to be dead.

huge question though - how the hell did she die? are we supposed to think Trinity did it? if so, when and how did he manage that?

it was indeed trinity and i suppose it was when dexter was at trinity's house when the whole swat deal went down. the second time i watched it i felt i understood the smile on trinity's face when he was driving away. kinda like "i killed that fucks wife".

Jacob

maybe I need to rewatch it and pay more attention to the timeline. I just couldn't figure out when Trinity would have the opportunity to kill her.

there's something else I was wondering about regarding the bathtub murders btw - why does he kill middle-aged women in the bathtub if they're supposed to represent his sister? I can only imagine she was in her teens as he was 10 when she died.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

sing blue silver

Quote from: Jacob on Dec 16, 2009, 06:40 AM
maybe I need to rewatch it and pay more attention to the timeline. I just couldn't figure out when Trinity would have the opportunity to kill her.

there's something else I was wondering about regarding the bathtub murders btw - why does he kill middle-aged women in the bathtub if they're supposed to represent his sister? I can only imagine she was in her teens as he was 10 when she died.

yeah that always kinda messed with me too but i just figure he had his reasons. there was still a bit of mystery to the character and hopefully more things about him resurface in the next season.

devilinside

chick de la lynch

The premiere is just around the corner! I have been anticipating this since the finale. It's been a long nine months.

lostpilot

I WANT THE NEW SEASON

your sister gets me hard

They usually "leak" the first episode.  Wonder where it is...

chick de la lynch

I just got finished watching the season premiere. I had my concerns about this season being a bit lackluster from last season, just because last season was so amazing. After watching the first episode, I have a lot of confidence in where this road is leading to. I also think this season is going to give Deb's character a lot more dimension, which has been long overdue. Although I wasn't really all that fond of Rita, the episode was still depressing because she has been on the show since the beginning. I can't wait to see how the rest of the season pans out.

defskull

Yeah it was probably the best premiere episode yet.  I mean it didn't really bring any surprises but it set up the season and wisely spent the time focusing on how Dexter truly felt about Rita.  The previews for this season suggest that Dexter has become much more human while still having the desire to kill.  It should be interesting to see how that works out.

And the relationship between Deb and Dexter has long been the most interesting.  A lot of people don't like her but I really do and it's about time she finds out what Dexter really is. 

devilinside

chick de la lynch

I think one of the interesting things about the premiere was where we actually got to see Rita and Dexter from the beginning. I do think he loved Rita, but I don't think he was ever in love with her or could ever be in love for that matter of fact. The contrast between his relationship with Rita, and the relationship he has with his kills are very different. He puts more care and time, and in an odd way, love into his hunt and the final kill. He never spent that much time with his relationship with Rita. However, Rita was the only woman who wasn't frightened by Dexter even though she never knew who he really was.

I do believe Dexter is more human than he thinks he is, and that's mostly Harry's fault for making him feel otherwise. Is he completely "human"? That's debatable. He still has a hard time grieving or pretending to grieve in previous seasons. It was apparent in the episode Astor could see right past Dexter, which might play a part later on down the line. "I'm sorry for you loss"? That definitely shows a disconnect. It was apparent Dexter was grieving, but was he grieving over the fact that Rita was murdered, or was he grieving over the fact that he should have killed Trinity the second he got the chance and can never avenge Rita's death?

defskull

He's only known his entire life to not have these emotions.  I think he truly was grieving. He would have not randomly killed that dude if he was grieving over the fact he should have killed Trinity when he had the chance.  For most of the episode he was being the only thing he knew: a cold killer, however, that's not how he actually felt.  The flashbacks with their first meeting suggest that Rita was always appreciative of Dexter and cared for and loved him but he was always distracted.  He took her for granted as just a cover but he never realized how much he actually cared for her.

Dexter is one of the most interesting characters ever to be on TV. I absolutely love him and what I have enjoyed throughout the seasons is seeing him become more and more human.  It was hinted at the end of the last season that Dexter was going to be finished with his killing after Trinity and was finally happy with his life.  Obviously it's not the case but I think we will see more human, flawed parts of him.  He's going to stop being as cool and calculated.  It started last season being distracted with a family. 

Hidalgo

that fact that he realised he really loved her was really powerfull. great season opener

this show is so awesome it's ridiculous. all other shows bow down

lostpilot

not as good as I wanted it to be

sing blue silver

i had such high expectations that i assumed i would be disappointed (much as i was with the third season) but i really loved the premiere. i'm thinking it's going to be another good one.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: defskull on Sep 29, 2010, 04:46 AM
He's only known his entire life to not have these emotions.  I think he truly was grieving. He would have not randomly killed that dude if he was grieving over the fact he should have killed Trinity when he had the chance.  For most of the episode he was being the only thing he knew: a cold killer, however, that's not how he actually felt.  The flashbacks with their first meeting suggest that Rita was always appreciative of Dexter and cared for and loved him but he was always distracted.  He took her for granted as just a cover but he never realized how much he actually cared for her.

I'm not completely convinced he killed that man out of his grief for Rita-- I still believe a lot of what Dexter is feeling is because of Trinity and how he one-up'd Dexter. He did love Rita, and I'm sure a small part of his grief stems from Rita's death, but I think a bigger chunk of it has to do with Trinity. The reason Dexter kills is to help the innocent who were killed get justice out of their murders. Dexter was able to get justice for all but one of the victims of Trinity, the most important victim -- Rita. The man he murdered was his way of getting control back from Trinity (obviously, it didn't really do much), and the breakdown he had afterward is guilt from not being able to protect Rita, but I don't really see Dexter grieving over the murder of Rita at that point. His "outburst" was mainly about the cause, not the effect. Dexter is still a calculating murderer, as well as a perfectionist. For the rest of his life, Trinity is going to be the one that got away and I think that's what's mainly eating Dexter at this point. 

In a weird way, I like him as a calculating, cold, logical killer. It's interesting to see Dexter become a little more in touch with his emotions and impulsive like the rest of the human race, but at the same time it's odd. Dexter being naturally calculating and logical is a big turn on for me.

I think you mentioned how Dexter and Deb's relationship is one of the more interesting things about the show, and I have to agree with you. I think the reason why people aren't too fond of Deb is because her character has been flat in past seasons. We definitely see her grow a little bit when Lundy is murdered, but it becomes flat again up to the season's end. It's a shame too, because Jennifer Carpenter is a great actress and could handle a multi dimensional character. One of the things I love about Deb is what Dexter said in the very first episode: she has a big heart, but is just afraid to show it. Deb and Dexter are a lot alike and one of the similarities they have is they are both out of touch with their true emotions. Deb is more in touch with how she feels than Dexter but not by much. It's not a shock, either since both were raised by Harry. This season is going to definitely open Deb up more, which I've been waiting for since the first season. Up to this point, she's had a wall built around her. With Deb taking over as mom, we'll get to see more of her sensitive side.

defskull

This show is finally picking up.  I don't know if anyone else has been keeping up with it but after being slow for half the season it is finally going somewhere. And where it is going looks very promising.  Side note: I love Julia Stiles.

chick de la lynch

I have to admit, I think I love Julia Stiles, too. I think she's great as Lumen. At times I feel like slapping her because she just keeps getting Dexter into some sticky situations, but then you're reminded why she is the way she is, and you're okay with it. I think her relationship with Dexter is sweet, and this season is definitely picking up steam. I'm very intrigued with where it's going.