Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Dexter

Started by White Pwny, Dec 03, 2008, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

Unfortunately there are only 5 episodes left. I'm a little annoyed it took this long to get things started. Too much time was spent on Santa Muerta murders and Batista and La Guerta. It seems like the Santa Muerta plot line is only there to keep the rest of the police officers busy right now. It's rather unfortunate. I think last season suffered from the same mistake of having too much filler with a really good main story line. 

chick de la lynch

I really don't like that one rookie cop. There's something off about her, and I do feel as if she is a big part of the filler you mentioned. I'm hoping there will be something more to the Santa Muerta case other than what's already been explained, because it's just not nearly as interesting as Lumen and Dexter's relationship. I'm also not feeling this plot line with Batista and LaGuerta. Yeah, getting married was interesting but now we're delving into their marriage? I find myself rolling my eyes whenever their marriage is mentioned.

Besides Lumen and Dexter's arc, the plot line with Quinn is beginning to get juicier. I find myself going back and forth between hating him, and slightly liking him. I'm just wondering what's going to happen to him at the end of the season. Maybe another Doakes situation?

defskull

I hate Quinn and his sausage fingers, but getting RoboCop to do his dirty work for him is great.  And LaGuerta and Batista have been useless for two seasons now.  I miss the days when Batista was the down-on-his-luck, likable cop and LaGuerta was the bitchy boss.  So much simpler then.  Attempting to give them more than that is just zzzzzz

lostpilot

I hated this episode.

a) Lumen - what the fuck. I am so disappointed in the actress and the character. And it's like what the fuck - she's either completely bonkers, or she's just "badly written", because I cannot see any kind of character (logically and realistically) going through a trauma and then smiling after half an hour because Dexter says "we" and then the whole hug scene. I thought I'd kick the screen, seriously. The character is making me lose complete interest in the show. Complete interest.

b) Batista and the latin bitch is just annoying. I don't want to see them on the show anymore - completely pointless.

c) I am getting tired or all-strong latin feeling on the show. They have to change something about it.

d) the show lost any kind of realistic logic.

At least Dexter's sister is one of the best characters and it is fairly enjoyable to see her.

sing blue silver

Quote from: lostpilot on Nov 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
I hated this episode.

a) Lumen - what the fuck. I am so disappointed in the actress and the character. And it's like what the fuck - she's either completely bonkers, or she's just "badly written", because I cannot see any kind of character (logically and realistically) going through a trauma and then smiling after half an hour because Dexter says "we" and then the whole hug scene. I thought I'd kick the screen, seriously. The character is making me lose complete interest in the show. Complete interest.

b) Batista and the latin bitch is just annoying. I don't want to see them on the show anymore - completely pointless.

c) I am getting tired or all-strong latin feeling on the show. They have to change something about it.

d) the show lost any kind of realistic logic.

At least Dexter's sister is one of the best characters and it is fairly enjoyable to see her.

this

dexter is my favorite show but god... i fucking HATE lumen more than any other character ever on this show. yes, more than lila, and more than miguel.

chick de la lynch

It's beginning to look lonely for me over here on Team Lumen.

Lumen is Dexter's foil, which I think blends perfectly well this season after Rita's death. Dexter is a cold blooded killer, but he's beginning to show a human side to him, and Lumen is definitely bringing it out. Don't get me wrong, I love rational, logical Dexter Morgan, but it's even more interesting when he shows his human side. There are times when Lumen goes bat shit and you're trying to figure out what is going on in that brain of hers, but she's so busted and broken down that it makes sense why she goes bat shit. I do think Julia Stiles is doing a great job portraying Lumen, and for me, is making her a rather likable character. She's in a lot of pain, and is beyond damaged, which makes her sympathetic. Her interactions with Dexter is where her character really shines--she's not so much of an ingenue, as much as a companion for Dexter. I'll be gravely disappointed if the relationship goes romantic. They have a certain understanding with one another, and it works. It shouldn't evolve more than that.

defskull

Whatever I like Lumen. If it goes romantic I'll be okay. If it goes anywhere I'm happy.

sing blue silver

but she's just such a poorly written, incompetent character who does NOTHING but screw up and cause more problems for dexter. i don't know why he likes her so much. also julia styles is a god awful actress and her voice is just beyond unbearable. sorry but i've never hated a character so much.

chick de la lynch

The way I see it, Dexter would have turned out to be Lumen had he not gotten his special training from Harry, which is what I find intriguing. Her screw ups kind of turn Dexter into this big brother figure, and luckily Dexter is pretty cunning to get himself out of the situations Lumen puts him in. If Lumen got the right training, and if Dexter were willing to train her, she could do well on her own. According to Dexter, she already has the killer instinct. She just needs to fine tune herself, and think more logically than impulsively.

defskull

Whatever I like Lumen. I like Julia Stiles too. Maybe that gives me some bias.  I'd be disappointed if she goes crazy in a way similar to Miguel where she starts wanting to kill random people but they don't seem to be suggesting that at all. 

I really hope that Lumen does become Dexter's partner in crime and it stays that way.  I'm curious as to what Dexter will think of being able to be completely open with someone.  The conversation Deb had with Dexter about not feeling anything after killing that man was very very interesting.  With this season coming to an end soon, I would not mind this season ending on a cliffhanger and having next season be the last season. It doesn't seem like there is enough time to wrap up everything that is happening this season and I feel like they are just teasing the eventual moment when Deb finds out about Dexter's life.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Nov 14, 2010, 02:53 AM
I'll be gravely disappointed if the relationship goes romantic. They have a certain understanding with one another, and it works. It shouldn't evolve more than that.

=/ Such a bummer, too since last night's episode was great right up to the end.

defskull

Well come on. It HAD to go romantic.  The inner monologue of Dexter after they had sex is the reason why it went romantic.  "But with Lumen I'm something different. In her eyes, I'm not a monster at all." Isn't this what we all want from someone? We want someone where we can reveal all of ourselves and the other person still doesn't see the monster.  With Dexter though, that monster happens to be his need to kill. 

I am surprised with the timing of their first sexual encounter though. I mean yeah after her first kill seems right, but this is right after the episode Astor and Deb accuse Dexter of having a new girlfriend so soon. So last episode Dexter denies it like crazy but now has sex with that same person? Odd choice.

sing blue silver

julia styles is a completely incomeptant actress. she must have never learned how to convincingly deliver dialogue. dexter is my all time favorite show and i'm extremely passionate about it but if her character doesn't die or somehow conclude within the show by the end of the season,i will no longer be watching. this season is a HUGE letdown and only because of her. i just can't get past it. john lithgow was an amazing guest star and this is what i'm treated to this season? no thanks show time. hell, i'll even take jimmy smits back, and we all know how god awful that was. i'm into the story and everything but she is just unbearable, and her wretched man voice makes me cringe. she kills any line written for her. and also, what the fuck dexter? your wife has been dead for what? 6 months tops? i mean, the fuck man? i never, ever, EVER thought i'd say this but... i miss rita. everyone i know who watches this show agrees with me that she is just awful. i wish they would have murdered her. why couldn't dexter just leave boyd fowler alone and keep this talentless piece of shit "actress" (though it sounds like she just read her lines right before they started rolling, so i don't know if i'd call whatever she does acting) off my tv.

defskull

I'm definitely biased because I kind of have a Julia Stiles crush, but I agree. Her acting has been pretty bad at times. I try my best to look the other way and pretend it isn't happening.  And I'm kind of tired of the 3rd season being shat on so much. It really isn't that bad.

sing blue silver

Quote from: defskull on Dec 01, 2010, 06:29 AM
I'm definitely biased because I kind of have a Julia Stiles crush, but I agree. Her acting has been pretty bad at times. I try my best to look the other way and pretend it isn't happening.  And I'm kind of tired of the 3rd season being shat on so much. It really isn't that bad.

the third season was just so anticlimactic compared to the other seasons. i still enjoy it but i'm going to watch 1, 2 or 4 over it any day because they're all so epic. it's sad because this seasons story has been really not that bad (especially since the revelations about the group and the revelations that are on the horizon for the next couple episodes) but she is just killing it for me. if they had a different actress (preferably a relative unknown) i'd be all over this season. she's just so corny sometimes and makes it more laughable than dramatic. dexter can do so much better.

your sister gets me hard

Quote from: defskull on Dec 01, 2010, 02:35 AM
Well come on. It HAD to go romantic.  The inner monologue of Dexter after they had sex is the reason why it went romantic.  "But with Lumen I'm something different. In her eyes, I'm not a monster at all." Isn't this what we all want from someone? We want someone where we can reveal all of ourselves and the other person still doesn't see the monster.  With Dexter though, that monster happens to be his need to kill. 

I am surprised with the timing of their first sexual encounter though. I mean yeah after her first kill seems right, but this is right after the episode Astor and Deb accuse Dexter of having a new girlfriend so soon. So last episode Dexter denies it like crazy but now has sex with that same person? Odd choice.

Just because they bang doesn't mean they are dating.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: defskull on Dec 01, 2010, 02:35 AM

I must be horrible at reading signs, because for a while it felt like a brother/sister or mentor type of relationship with a deeper connection. Then this past episode it just gets randomly romantic. I enjoy having Lumen on the show, but this romance between her and Dexter just feels really wrong. You can still have a deep connection without banging one another. I wish writers wouldn't rely on sex so much to get a point like that across. It's easy to make characters connected with one another once they have sex. It's harder to display a deeper connection when sex isn't apart of the relationship, and I think they could have been more creative.

I agree with sing blue silver about Rita. She hasn't been dead that long, and I'm not sure where in the time line the Dexter universe is, but either way it's kind of tacky of Dexter. If this were a one time bang, then it would be somewhat understandable. It's apparent that Lumen means a lot more to him than just a one-night stand. If anything, I was hoping Dexter would do something with the nanny. =/ Then again, I'm being biased because I love Maria Kennedy Doyle from The Tudors.

Quote from: your sister gets me hard on Dec 01, 2010, 10:28 PM
Just because they bang doesn't mean they are dating.

You bring up a good point. Granted, I didn't want their relationship to get romantic but the show may be scraping on another theme--sex ruins everything. Lumen has been raped and tortured. Yes, she had sex with Dexter but is she emotionally and mentally ready for a relationship? Has sex with Dexter changed her in a different way? Is Dexter ready for something so soon after Rita's death? Sex doesn't automatically equal a relationship, which is a mistake a lot of people, especially women, make.  I'm curious to find out what's going to happen next..

defskull

Dexter and Deb have the brother/sister relationship already.  And that one is finally picking up steam.  I love how they're slowly showing that Deb has a vigilante mindset suggesting that if/when she finds out about Dexter she'll be okay with it.

sing blue silver

what a letdown of a finale. i'm seriously bummed at how unimpressive it was.

elite54

i agree there, i think they should have let deb find out about dexter at least. if not have lumen knocked off.