Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Remakes/reboots

Started by bright lights, big city, Dec 08, 2008, 02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

what is your opinion on remaking movies, or rebooting a movie franchise?

obviously the reboot done on Batman worked, and the Hulk. i can think of those off the top of my head.

I hate to sound like an old man and wonder why Hollywood has to remake old movies from our youths, or the "classics", but this has been happening for years(mostly with horror movies), from japanese/korean movies to movies from 40 years ago or 20 years ago

what if the original was R rated and the remake was PG-13? does that make that film shitty? *cough* The Fog *cough*

Name some good remakes... or ones that piss you of...
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

bright lights, big city

one of my favorite movies The Departed = remake
Carpenter's The Thing = another remake

here are some that get my blood boiling:
another remake of The Thing, this time not done by Carpenter
They Live will be remade
Hellraiser
Nightmare of Elm Street is being brought back
The Host (the original is only a couple years old, for fucks sake)
Robocop (this may have potential since its being directed by Darren Aronofsky)
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lithium

the manchurian candidate was good

💩

deftonekid

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Dec 08, 2008, 02:24 AM
yeah can't wait to see that

defskull

Reboots are fine.  It's so much better than a remake.  Chris Nolan remaking the 1989 Batman? Terrible idea.  Chris Nolan creating his own world of Batman? Genius.

Remakes though...seemed to work until maybe the early 80s.  Hitchcock remade a lot of his own movies and those turned out pretty good.  I mean the A Fistful of Dollars movies and The Thing were great remakes that seemed to be made not because those behind it ran out of ideas.  They seemed to remake those because the general concepts were so great that they felt they could make some thing great with this concept. 

But then you have producers in need of a product, lack of an idea, and a large catalogue of movies to choose from.  So then they find The Fog and just assume that since people enjoyed it the first time, using "the same" story again would work.  But then they try to make it appeal to a new generation instead of trying to make it worth watching and then they fail. 

However, there are the cases where I would rather have someone else make a shit remake of a classic than have that original filmmaker make shit prequels and insist on changing the original trilogy to "further the story" when in fact said filmmaker just craps on a galaxy that was already great.   

lostpilot

Quote from: deftonekid on Dec 08, 2008, 03:16 AM

absolutely!

and.. as for remakes.
I am completely disappointed by American cinema for remaking the horror movie [rec] (2007) in the complete rip-off way, Quarantine, just because americans are too dumb to read subtitles. so they say, hey, why bother reading subtitles? lets make a remake! disappointing.

[rec] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/
Quarantine http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/

milk the cow, assholes.

theis

I don't really have a problem with remakes. it's not like they're gonna hurt the original movies. we'll always have them.

definitely looking forward to Aronofsky's version of Robocop. that's gonna be interesting.

another one i'm looking forward to, is the Hellraiser remake. it's going to be directed by the french horror director who made Martyrs (i posted about that movie in the horror thread). so that should be cool.

and whenever Sam Raimi remakes The Evil Dead, i'll definitely watch that.

remakes that are better than the original:

John Carpenter's The Thing
David Cronenberg's The Fly
The Departed
The Hills Have Eyes

bright lights, big city

Quote from: lostpilot on Dec 08, 2008, 12:35 PM
Quote from: deftonekid on Dec 08, 2008, 03:16 AM

absolutely!

and.. as for remakes.
I am completely disappointed by American cinema for remaking the horror movie [rec] (2007) in the complete rip-off way, Quarantine, just because americans are too dumb to read subtitles. so they say, hey, why bother reading subtitles? lets make a remake! disappointing.

[rec] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/
Quarantine http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/

milk the cow, assholes.
whoa yeah! i completely forgot about Quarantine. maybe that's a good thing....
DERP

bright lights, big city

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Dec 08, 2008, 12:51 PM
I don't really have a problem with remakes. it's not like they're gonna hurt the original movies. we'll always have them.

definitely looking forward to Aronofsky's version of Robocop. that's gonna be interesting.

another one i'm looking forward to, is the Hellraiser remake. it's going to be directed by the french horror director who made Martyrs (i posted about that movie in the horror thread). so that should be cool.

and whenever Sam Raimi remakes The Evil Dead, i'll definitely watch that.

remakes that are better than the original:

John Carpenter's The Thing
David Cronenberg's The Fly
The Departed
The Hills Have Eyes

you make a good point, too. the more i think about this, the more i realize that there are some pretty damn good remakes.

it just seems weird now that movies that were made in my lifetime are now being redone. Especially ones I REALLY loved, like Hellraiser. that original is probably in my top 3 horror movies of all time.
DERP

defskull

I think it all depends on the intention behind the remake.  Is it because movie bosses are being lazy? Or is there someone on the project who loved the original and believes they can make their own version unique and exciting on it's own merit.

deftonekid

haha so true but they have the money so they can waste it on a crappy remake, oh crappywood.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: defskull on Dec 08, 2008, 06:25 PM
I think it all depends on the intention behind the remake.  Is it because movie bosses are being lazy? Or is there someone on the project who loved the original and believes they can make their own version unique and exciting on it's own merit.
good call, man. almost everything "crappywood" does is for more money, but there are guys that know what they're doing there and probably appreciated the originals.
DERP

goldpony

fuck the robocop remake, the first one was perfect. if they wanted to remake a robocop, they should remake robocop 2. after all, it was written by frank miller and the script wasn't all that bad but the execution was horrible. imagine if miller directed it...

i hate to admit it, but two remkes i actually enjoyed were the parent trap and freaky friday (tho the originals still own).
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: deftonekid on Dec 08, 2008, 08:38 PM
haha so true but they have the money so they can waste it on a crappy remake, oh crappywood.

But Quarantine was good. 

bright lights, big city

Quote from: goldpony on Dec 08, 2008, 10:27 PM
fuck the robocop remake, the first one was perfect. if they wanted to remake a robocop, they should remake robocop 2. after all, it was written by frank miller and the script wasn't all that bad but the execution was horrible. imagine if miller directed it...

i hate to admit it, but two remkes i actually enjoyed were the parent trap and freaky friday (tho the originals still own).
Miller remake of robocop would be kinda cool....wait...looks like someone's got a lil Lohan thing goin' on  ;)
DERP

devlin

i don't hate them as a rule or nothing. it all deopends on how well they are done. some are good some are crap. i think "the host" is a bit dumb tough. like you said that movie just came out like a year ago.

deftonekid

lostpilot

Quote from: deftonekid on Dec 09, 2008, 08:24 PM
Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Dec 09, 2008, 12:22 AM
But Quarantine was good. 
not as good as Rec

and I just hate the mechanism of remaking a movie, that was released, OH, WHAT A SURPRISE, just a fucking year ago.
Lets remake spring version of the movie into the autumn version of the movie.
MILK - THE - COW
period

goldpony

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Dec 09, 2008, 12:52 AM
Quote from: goldpony on Dec 08, 2008, 10:27 PM

Miller remake of robocop would be kinda cool....wait...looks like someone's got a lil Lohan thing goin' on  ;)

not so much, more like a disney movie thing goin on. lohan just happened to be in em
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: lostpilot on Dec 09, 2008, 09:00 PM
Quote from: deftonekid on Dec 09, 2008, 08:24 PM
Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Dec 09, 2008, 12:22 AM
But Quarantine was good. 
not as good as Rec

and I just hate the mechanism of remaking a movie, that was released, OH, WHAT A SURPRISE, just a fucking year ago.
Lets remake spring version of the movie into the autumn version of the movie.
MILK - THE - COW
period

Actually, the creators of REC wanted a quick remake since the budget was low and they wanted a broader audience.  Read up on it.