Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Good news from A Perfect Circle!

Started by Gherde, Dec 09, 2008, 11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Ashes Divide wasn't nearly as interesting as APC but I find the songs well written and a lot of it, including Billy's vocals, remind me of certain parts of APC.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

devlin

ashes divide wasn't bad, but i found it boring. there was that made it stand out for me. i love all of maynard's projects, even puscifer which doesn't seem to be too much love here, but TOOL is definitly my favorite. and i love 10,000 days. how was it dissapointing? jambi, rosetta stoned, right in two, vicarious, and 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) are some of TOOL's best songs.

lostpilot

of course 10,000 Days was absolutely awesome.

devlin

i agree, but i constantly hear people go on and on about lateralus and say that 10,000 days wasn't as good. i think its better. lateralus was more ground breaking as far as their sound from one album to the next. but i think 10k days was a great progression and an all around better album. that being said both albums have too much filler.

lithium

i dont think there was any progression on 10k days, it just seemed like recycled bsides off of lateralus. and the pot sounds like it could have been written during the undertow era. and Bored, mer de norm unfinished? how so man, that album is waaay better than 13th step!
💩

lostpilot

Well, I discovered 13th Step before Mer De Noms, and it just seemed more completed, or even formed the way APC sounds in my head now. And Mer De Noms was different, though, I'm not saying it's bad - it has really really good songs. It's just that I will always prefer 13th to MdN

lithium

i bought mer de norm the day it came out!! i remember watching the video for judith and thinking it was the best thing ever. it was the first time, at least for me, i got to see maynards more sensitive side. songs like orestes, thomas, magdalena, the hollow and brena are fucking amazing man. the lyrical content is far superior to that of 13th step. and if anything 13th step is unfinished not mer de norm. imho.
💩

Jacob

Quote from: lithium on Dec 12, 2008, 07:15 PM
i bought mer de norm the day it came out!! i remember watching the video for judith and thinking it was the best thing ever. it was the first time, at least for me, i got to see maynards more sensitive side. songs like orestes, thomas, magdalena, the hollow and brena are fucking amazing man. the lyrical content is far superior to that of 13th step. and if anything 13th step is unfinished not mer de norm. imho.

APC actually led me to Tool so they're pretty special for me, not just a side project. but I remember thinking almost right away that it was cool how Maynard could take a step away from his Tool self and become something different in APC - something a lot more real and vulnerable.

devlin

Quote from: lithium on Dec 12, 2008, 07:15 PM

same here. at least we can agree on APC :)

devilinside

lostpilot

I'm gonna hit all of you in your faces!

lithium

Ok but before you do, listen to mer de noms again.

💩

Deftones-argentina

hahhaahahahahahahahahah.

love magdalena. But my fav songs from apc are rose and The noose.

Starz

To me, 13th Step sounds rushed and uncomplete. 'We're putting out another album for the sake of it' kind of thing. Mer De Norm is an incredible album. Very personal. The songs on Mer De Norm sound like they were taken apart and reworked over and over again to get that perfect sound. But The Noose is a great song, yes.

Jacob

I'm actually surprised APC are back. I kinda felt like they commited commercial suicide on purpose and I was guessing that Maynard just didn't want to do it anymore. I mean, first with the silly video for The Outsider. then the whole cover album which kinda sucked and a remix of Pet etc. their original image went away and everything just felt like no one really cared anymore.

Jizzlobber

Quote from: devlin on Dec 12, 2008, 05:40 PM
that being said both albums have too much filler.

To me, 10,000days has a bit mORE filler than Lateralus..i think lateralus had a 'darker' vibe to it too, it sometimes became sinister even. it goes into recesses of the mind that 10,000 days stays away from..subliminally anyway.

Maynards voice is a bit more ..friendly? on 10 k i thought..its more pleasant even, its by far his best singing performance i think, but LATERALUS is an epic album..i dont think it has been beaten yet in the "best TooL album" category...yet. just my opinion but, maybe the next album..which should be due in....5 years maybe?
<

Starz

Quote from: aenemic on Dec 13, 2008, 04:05 AMtheir original image went away and everything just felt like no one really cared anymore.

This is how I feel when listening to 13th Step. There is something half-arsed about that album.

lostpilot

regardless of what you say :

Quote from: lostpilot on Dec 13, 2008, 12:25 AM
I'm gonna hit all of you in your faces!

and, uh, okay, I will agree that on musical scale Mer de Noms could be a bit above 13th Step, but when I listened to 13th Step, maybe I was in good mood or something, cause when after a while I watched the video of Judith, I was like - what the fuck is this shit? Then after a while again, downloaded the whole album, listened through. It had it's pros and cons, but still, it was never better that 13th. Just because I have absolute sympathy for 13th Step and songs like The Noose, The Package or Vanishing and Gravity. Cause they're just bloody amazing. Yes, maybe songs like Blue are a bit less 'amazing', but still, on the whole he album it's atmosphere, which is beautifully maintained by nice guitar play, emotional side of MJK (even though yes, Mer de Noms was more intimate from the side of MJK).

lithium

Quote from: aenemic on Dec 13, 2008, 04:05 AM
I'm actually surprised APC are back. I kinda felt like they commited commercial suicide on purpose and I was guessing that Maynard just didn't want to do it anymore. I mean, first with the silly video for The Outsider. then the whole cover album which kinda sucked and a remix of Pet etc. their original image went away and everything just felt like no one really cared anymore.

i totally agree with this. emotive and amotion were complete crap.

💩

mr.sinister