Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

@ Sleepymaggie

Started by White Pwny, Jan 10, 2009, 10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleepymaggie

wiki:
Matam
Zanjir(Chain) used for 'Zanjir matam'
Many of the male and female participants congregate together in public for ceremonial chest beating (matam) as a display of their devotion to Imam Husayn and in remembrance of his suffering. In some Shi'a societies, such as those in Bahrain, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Lebanon and Iraq, some male participants incorprate knives or razors swung upon chains into their matam.[2]. This practice is permissible by major Usooli Ayatollah such as Muhammad Shirazi and Sistani, however some major scholars such as Khameini have banned it in Iran temporarily, while others such as Fadlallah deem it permanently impermissible. In general however, the act is controversial. It is also considered by other Muslim groups a major sin.[citation needed]

Sold my hands for a dreamers gloves...

Jacob

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Jan 14, 2009, 12:28 PM
haha, and you belive that ? ;D
i am muslim  and there's nothing about ''matam'' or that pictures...

dont belive this stupid things,

the thing you should hate is ''POLITICS'' ....not religions ;)

"Matam

Many of the male and female participants congregate together in public for ceremonial chest beating (matam) as a display of their devotion to Imam Husayn and in remembrance of his suffering. In some Shi'a societies, such as those in Bahrain, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Lebanon and Iraq, some male participants incorprate knives or razors swung upon chains into their matam.[2]. This practice is permissible by major Usooli Ayatollah such as Muhammad Shirazi and Sistani, however some major scholars such as Khameini have banned it in Iran temporarily, while others such as Fadlallah deem it permanently impermissible. In general however, the act is controversial. It is also considered by other Muslim groups a major sin."

from wikipedia ^

sounds like that's the very meaning of "Matam".
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

rock_n_frost

so i am 25 years old and i live in turkey which has a 70 million muslims and dont know about this ? :)
how come you serve realty of something like that ?

man these are just bullshit, dont say anybody else, they ll just laugh..

This pictures is nothing about islam or anything, if you really wanna know ask me
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Sleepymaggie

so im 24 years old and live in india with over twice as many muslims than in turkey and I didn't know about this until last thursday when I went to take photographs.
there's always a first rock n frost..and there's always google.

but if this helps you sleep at night, no, the hundreds of photos on flickr ie http://www.flickr.com/photos/firozeshakir/sets/72157612330558191/ or in this thread
or of matam in other places of the world is all a big fabricated conspiracy to scandalize the muslims in turkey. ;p

rock_n_frost

jesus...

so how can you associate this to muslims ?

cuz to your expression muslims do that...
if that so where is my cuts wheres bruises of my friends and my family..

everyone can use google as he wants.....
look thats my ''truth of church'' result

who can belive that

loves..

Sleepymaggie

okay dude chill, this isnt a personal attack against islam, nor is it a generalization.
It is a fact though that a certain part of the shia muslims community does do matam in this manner and some just via a fast or prayers and matam is only done during muharram, which is infact a muslim mourning thing.

this practice has been going on in certain countries for aeons and there are countless photographs, accounts and a valid history of the battle of karbala to back up its base. It's unfortunate that you've had to come across this via the internet but do talk to some shia muslims online or in person to get a better perspective.

I apologise for this argument but my photographs are here for awareness/proof of the practice of matam in my country, in my city and not any kind of religious statement.

this is the procession that i walked with:

rock_n_frost

yeah, the thing that made me pissed off is associate it to islam or muslims
whoever do this matam thing is completly psyco and masochist
not only in that countries , usa england france and more everywhere full of this people

(sleepygirl, i wasnt fighting u i see a misunderstanding and try to explain it......you know on these days everyone has a prejudgement on muslims, but no one can see what israel do..the point is i love you)

White Pwny

I saw this craziness on Fox News the other day.   I'll have to see if I can find the link.
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

White Pwny

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,477748,00.html    Not exactly the same, but the same with what they were doing to their heads!   I about fell over when I saw the little boys' head all bloodied!   Heads bleed bad anyway, but this is so stupid.    I don't understand body mutilation for ANY religion.   And no, Im not talking about piercings.. Im taking about TONS of people together, whipping eachother ... blood everywhere... slicing your heads... Have these idiots ever heard of the AIDS virus, and ways that it is spread?    Maggie, you are brave.. I would have shit if ppl strangers were bleeding all over me.   Fuck that. 

rock_n_frost

these people are just sick.............
i dont think they care about aids or whatever...

also a child cant have an opinion about religions, so its an order....
maybe political maybe psychopathy but i m pretty sure its not a worship or praying of islam, christian ,jewish or buddhism...
its masocism...

Sleepymaggie

so what else is up guys! what are you doing right now?

thanks for seeing these photos. im ending that topic in this msg and im going to agree to disagree about some things.

wow my thread...the things i can do...;p

defTHE1s

so... it's real blood?... here in the city i live there is something similar in march-april, but it's all acted... they call it "The Silent March"... it's sick, sick, sick (QOTSA song!) and yeah, let's end that 'Matam' topic, and say hello!
hope you were doing good in your @ thread!

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Sleepymaggie

yup thats real blood..what city do you live in?
hello defthe1s...what made you think of your screen name? why defthe1s?

I'm doing real good here. this is like my hidey hole now..cant go wrong here ; )
ps thankeww white pwny!

do most people on this forum know eachother personally?

White Pwny

yer welcome.  Some have met... in real life..  and alot are just buddies online.

Mrs_swa and I are best friends in real life... and live just like a mile from her.   =o)

defTHE1s

mmm the city is Querétaro... in Querétaro, México... it's a catholic (i think  ???) tradition...

i don't remember if i have already posted like a definition for 'defthe1s' but if not, one of the reasons is that when i was wondering why they put their name to 'deftones' i started to think and then i got 'def' (don't now if it's deaf or defeat) the letter 't' i made into 'THE' and the part of 'ones' i just write it like '1s'... it's funny or dumb, but at the end, i liked this "name" so it's defTHE1s...

and yeah..as white pwny said, most of here are buddies online (some by myspace, hi5, msn) and some others are known in real life...i personally don't know (as far i know) anyone in real life (a friend tried to register some months ago, but he never could... dumb?) but there are some fellows from my country and my birthplace that would be cool to know personally...

then enjoy staying here!

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

defTHE1s

and what about your name sleepymaggie? is that you like to sleep! i really like it but sometimes i get tired of the bed...

13hourstoparadise

Maggie thinks I'm "hot"... But I can't find a picture of her, can someone help me out?

White Pwny

I do believe it's Maggie in her Av.   

Sidenote...   you are hot.

13hourstoparadise

defTHE1s

Quote from: White Pwny on Jan 30, 2009, 11:33 PM
I do believe it's Maggie in her Av.   

Sidenote...   you are hot.
so she's hot if that's her pic...