Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Oscar Noms...

Started by defskull, Jan 23, 2009, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

theis

i wouldn't say that. lots of great movies are nominated. why do you think they're terrible?

i'm disappointed that The Dark Knight didn't get a nod for best directing or best picture...but that it didn't get a nom for best score? what the fuck is up with that?

bright lights, big city

agreed. and i just finally saw Gran Torino. that should've gotten SOMETHING.

nice to see In Bruges get something, though. that was a surprise
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

defskull

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Jan 23, 2009, 12:43 PM
i wouldn't say that. lots of great movies are nominated. why do you think they're terrible?

i'm disappointed that The Dark Knight didn't get a nod for best directing or best picture...but that it didn't get a nom for best score? what the fuck is up with that?

What great movies got nominated?  Dark Knight should have gotten a Best Picture and/or Best Director nomination.  I'm not too upset about the Best Score miss because there were some problems as to whether or not it was even eligible.  Probably fucked up it's chances. 

I will say I've only seen Curious Case of Benjamin Button when it comes to the best picture nominees and I do want to see Slumdog (basically because Boyle directed), but am I the only one getting tired of "prestigious" films getting nominated when in fact they are just melodramatic shit movies. 

I'm not the biggest fan of Sean Penn, he's always been a douche to me.  Biopics annoy me.  It's essentially the actor who is playing the main subject of the movie trying their hardest to get an Oscar. 

I mean do you really feel like the 5 movies nominated for best picture were some of the best of the year?  Wall-E was fucking amazing.  It was completely original.  It didn't rely on some event in history that was given a dose of lies to increase the drama. 

The Oscars is supposed to be known as this event award the best of the year, but are these really the best?  I mean you could argue that the Oscars have sucked for awhile, but I'd like to think that last year's Oscars had some pretty good films nominated.

bright lights, big city

yeah man i completely agreed with last year's nominees and winners. But imagine seeing Dark Knight AND Wall-E being nominated for best picture. they both actually deserve it, and to see that would've been sweet.

the thing pisses me off the most is probably Chris Nolan being screwed out of the Director oscar. the guy made a movie about a superhero actually believable- he made fuckin Batman into a sort of crime saga.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

defskull

Exactly.  It doesn't feel like a superhero movie.  It's a movie of good vs. evil and the lines that define both sides. 

The themes of both Wall E and Dark Knight are probably more complex than many of the best picture nominees this year.  They are two movies you could watch many times and pick possible symbols and the sort.  What does Milk have to offer?  Oh yeah, a story about a gay guy being elected to office in San Fransisco.  Holy shit, gay themes and drama, we should totally nominate it. 

devlin

i'm glad heath won.

did anyone see "slumdog millionare"? that won a shit load of oscars.

goldpony

i really want to see it now. i thought jackman was awesome as host
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Corleone

Quote from: devlin on Feb 23, 2009, 12:31 PM
i'm glad heath won.

did anyone see "slumdog millionare"? that won a shit load of oscars.

yeah it's pretty good :P obviously

bright lights, big city

i admit i was really skeptical of hugh jackman, but it was a pleasant surprise.

i also liked how they organized each of the categories. except i got sick of seeing jennifer aniston and sarah jessica parker's fug asses
DERP

theis

yeah, Hugh rocked it. that dude can sing, damn! The end of his song; "I AM WOLVERINE!" Hahaha, great.

Ben Stiller's spoof on Joaquin Phoenix was great. The Pineapple Express segment was awesome and Natalie Portman looked stunning. Yum!

Am I the only one who got a little teary eyed when Heath's parents accepted the award? Great moment.

I think it was well deserved that Penn won Best Actor. I would've loved to see Rourke win it as well, though.

Penn's speech was great. Best actor working today.

bright lights, big city

hell, anyone of the best actor nominees is pretty awesome. woulda been cool to see Richard Jenkins win something.

but thank god that hack Meryl Streep didn't win best actress. god i can't believe that bitch has been nominated 15 times.
DERP

Deftones-88-05-Deftones

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Jan 23, 2009, 12:43 PM

+1 and dont forget best actor ( Ledger )
" You are just Disconnected, Apathetic It must be so pathetic to be this frantic You are just Like methadone for an addict  "   Mark Hunter

" Im gonna see you bleeding Face down in the dirt Im gonna give you back what Youve taken with hurt You coward Im going to spit right in your face" Rob Flynn

Penicks

Ledger won an Oscar.   :-\

Deftones-88-05-Deftones

Quote from: Penicks on Feb 23, 2009, 06:56 PM
Ledger won an Oscar.   :-\

Just supporting actor which is an insult because he deserved more than that
" You are just Disconnected, Apathetic It must be so pathetic to be this frantic You are just Like methadone for an addict  "   Mark Hunter

" Im gonna see you bleeding Face down in the dirt Im gonna give you back what Youve taken with hurt You coward Im going to spit right in your face" Rob Flynn

lithium

i heard he didnt even make it to the awards
💩

theis

Quote from: Deftones-88-05-Deftones on Feb 23, 2009, 07:01 PM
Quote from: Penicks on Feb 23, 2009, 06:56 PM
Ledger won an Oscar.   :-\

Just supporting actor which is an insult because he deserved more than that

well, he wasn't the lead role in The Dark Knight, so it would be a little hard to nominate him for that.

Sleepymaggie

i loved penelope cruz on stage.very moving..
i wouldve been bloody pissed if ledger didnt win.....
i think sean penn deserved it too..he has a crazzzy subtle intensity to him and i can see how people cant see that but after watching a couple of movies i think he deserves it...
im GLAD brad pitt and jolie didnt win...
and i felt pretty bad for meryl streep.

slumdog owns! boyle is a god..really..it wouldve been the shittiest ever if it wasnt for him.

Sold my hands for a dreamers gloves...

bebo

Quote from: lithium on Feb 23, 2009, 07:24 PM

ya what an asshat

bright lights, big city

Quote from: bebo on Feb 23, 2009, 11:15 PM
Quote from: lithium on Feb 23, 2009, 07:24 PM

ya what an asshat
great
thanks for the memo. i was wondering when we could start making jokes about him again.
DERP