Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Oscar Noms...

Started by defskull, Jan 23, 2009, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftonekid

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Feb 23, 2009, 06:24 PM
yeah, Hugh rocked it. that dude can sing, damn! The end of his song; "I AM WOLVERINE!" Hahaha, great.

Ben Stiller's spoof on Joaquin Phoenix was great. The Pineapple Express segment was awesome and Natalie Portman looked stunning. Yum!

Am I the only one who got a little teary eyed when Heath's parents accepted the award? Great moment.

Penn's speech was great. Best actor working today.
+1. And yeah I almost drop a tear when Heath's parents accepted the award.

Sleepymaggie

it wasnt much about heaths parents and what they said..it was the whole vibe and everyones wistful faces and standing for him n stuff that got to me...
EVERYONE i know had a *moment* with that moment. how awesome.

Sold my hands for a dreamers gloves...

skooks

Quote from: defskull on Jan 23, 2009, 09:12 PM
What does Milk have to offer?  Oh yeah, a story about a gay guy being elected to office in San Fransisco.  Holy shit, gay themes and drama, we should totally nominate it. 

Spoken by someone who clearly hasn't even bothered to watch the film, nor has any idea how important Harvey Milk was.

Sean Penn totally deserved to win and I'm really glad he did. He was phenomenal in Milk.
http://www.last.fm/user/skooks
http://skooks.tumblr.com/

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

bright lights, big city

i actually just saw it too. definitely thought it was much more than a gay guy thing.

and i really wanted to see Mickey Rourke win, but Penn was really fucking good. plus Josh Brolin was awesome.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

defskull

Quote from: skooks on Feb 26, 2009, 03:23 PM
What does Milk have to offer?  Oh yeah, a story about a gay guy being elected to office in San Fransisco.  Holy shit, gay themes and drama, we should totally nominate it. 

Spoken by someone who clearly hasn't even bothered to watch the film, nor has any idea how important Harvey Milk was.

Sean Penn totally deserved to win and I'm really glad he did. He was phenomenal in Milk.

I'm sure Harvey Milk was a very important man and no I haven't bothered watching the film.  If there is one genre of movies that I find more annoying than any other is the biopic.  How many biopics have you seen where it didn't seem like the aim was to get an Oscar nom/award for best actor?

An example of a movie I did see that did not deserve the noms/awards it got was Ray.  I felt like that movie was as good as a tv movie, with the performance by Jamie Foxx good emulation.  For a person whose job is to act as someone else, I'd say It's easy to mimic someone's mannerisms and voice.  Besides that though it was just an over dramatization of someone's life.   

And though I haven't seen Milk, I'm betting that it's the same way:  over dramatizing Harvey Milk's life.  Just ask yourself this.  How many biopics have you seen where the subject in question was not nominated for best actor?   

bright lights, big city

good point i hated Ray
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

skooks

Quote from: defskull on Feb 26, 2009, 07:20 PM
Quote from: skooks on Feb 26, 2009, 03:23 PM

I'm sure Harvey Milk was a very important man and no I haven't bothered watching the film.  If there is one genre of movies that I find more annoying than any other is the biopic.  How many biopics have you seen where it didn't seem like the aim was to get an Oscar nom/award for best actor?

An example of a movie I did see that did not deserve the noms/awards it got was Ray.  I felt like that movie was as good as a tv movie, with the performance by Jamie Foxx good emulation.  For a person whose job is to act as someone else, I'd say It's easy to mimic someone's mannerisms and voice.  Besides that though it was just an over dramatization of someone's life.  

And though I haven't seen Milk, I'm betting that it's the same way:  over dramatizing Harvey Milk's life.  Just ask yourself this.  How many biopics have you seen where the subject in question was not nominated for best actor?   

I'm not disputing that point, I'm just calling into question your assessment of Milk which I feel is unfair, especially since you haven't actually seen it. Besides, Harvey Milk literally died fighting for equality for LGBT people. It doesn't get more dramatic than that. From all the things I know about that man and his life (and I know a fair amount) the film stayed true to his story and his life.
http://www.last.fm/user/skooks
http://skooks.tumblr.com/

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

fireflyry

Was a really cool one this year imo.

The way they presented the major nominations, having past winners present and comment on each nomination, was awesome.

They should do that every year.

Great to see Heath win, he deserved it for such an amazing role, and also Sean Pean due to the fact he defines great acting.Also great to see Kate win.I'm of the opinion Brad and Angeline are ok actors but the media hype undeservedly elevates them to nominations they don't actually deserve.

Really enjoyed watching it, glad to see great acting rewarded.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.