Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Prog/Psychedelic rock topic

Started by whodunit?, Jan 24, 2009, 03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whodunit?

Post music and discuss this part of rock world.

I'll begin with most interesting and widely uknown records. Everyone knows Yes, Crimson's, Zepp's but check these bands.

Magma
"Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh" - 1973
Genre: Zeuhl, Progressive rock

http://rapidshare.com/files/38380435/1973MDK.rar

1. "Hortz Fur Dëhn Stekëhn West" - 9:36 (C. Vander)
   2. "Ïma Süri Dondaï" - 4:30 (C. Vander)
   3. "Kobaïa Is de Hündïn" - 3:33 (C. Vander)
   4. "Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekanïk" - 7:30 (C. Vander)
   5. "Nebëhr Gudahtt" - 6:03 (C. Vander)
   6. "Mekanïk Kommandöh" - 4:09 (C. Vander)
   7. "Kreühn Köhrmahn Iss de Hündïn" - 3:13 (C. Vander)

The Mahavishnu Orchestra
"Visions of the Emerald Beyond" - 1975
Genre: progressive rock

http://rapidshare.com/files/143419455/1975_Mahavishnu_Orchestra_-_Visions_of_the_Emerald_Beyond.rar

1. "Eternity's Breath, Pt. 1" - 3:10
   2. "Eternity's Breath, Pt. 2" - 4:50
   3. "Lila's Dance" - 5:37
   4. "Can't Stand Your Funk" - 2:10
   5. "Pastoral" - 3:41
   6. "Faith" - 2:01
   7. "Cosmic Strut" - 3:29
   8. "If I Could See" - 1:17
   9. "Be Happy" - 3:33
  10. "Earth Ship" - 3:43 ---> the shit!!!
  11. "Pegasus" - 1:48
  12. "Opus 1" - 0:25
  13. "On the Way Home to Earth" - 4:45

Weather Report
"Weather Report" - 1971
Genre: progressive rock, jazz fusion

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KQBEXJ32

1. "Milky Way" (Shorter, Zawinul) – 2:33
   2. "Umbrellas" (Shorter, Vitous, Zawinul) – 3:27
   3. "Seventh Arrow" (Vitous) – 5:23
   4. "Orange Lady" (Zawinul) – 8:44
   5. "Morning Lake" (Vitous) – 4:26
   6. "Waterfall" (Zawinul) – 6:20
   7. "Tears" (Shorter) – 3:25
   8. "Eurydice" (Shorter) – 5:45

Haven't checked the last one yet, but I heard it's pretty good.

Some more stuff later.

lostpilot

I am wondering what is and what is not progressive rock.

Say, Oceansize could be progressive rock, but they themselves hate this tag, so they say they're not.. are TOOL progressive? Porcupine Tree? I always get lost what actually IS progressive rock, cause I listened to many albums where bands say they're progressive, but actually there's nothing progressive there at all.
I am puzzled.

wheresmysnare

i remember black sabbath quoting a band called gentle giant who they thought were the best prog band out back in the day, i used to have a song from them, it was OK

whodunit?

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Jan 24, 2009, 03:50 PM
i remember black sabbath quoting a band called gentle giant who they thought were the best prog band out back in the day, i used to have a song from them, it was OK

yup, gentle giant were shit but I got bored with them pretty fast.

Crazylegs

Quote from: lostpilot on Jan 24, 2009, 03:49 PM
I am wondering what is and what is not progressive rock.

Say, Oceansize could be progressive rock, but they themselves hate this tag, so they say they're not.. are TOOL progressive? Porcupine Tree? I always get lost what actually IS progressive rock, cause I listened to many albums where bands say they're progressive, but actually there's nothing progressive there at all.
I am puzzled.

Oceansize, tool, and porcupine tree aren't exactly the prog stereotype, but their song structures are different from your standard verse/chorus setup which could be seen as a prog element.

Zevaka

i am pretty much into krautrock, sounds way more creative than all other 70s prog, including jazz fusion and all

whodunit?

Quote from: Zevaka on Jan 24, 2009, 05:36 PM
i am pretty much into krautrock, sounds way more creative than all other 70s prog, including jazz fusion and all

Can?

devlin

i love prog. Rush, tool, mars volta, mastodon (on the last and i hear next album), gojira, devin townsends solo albums. i know i got more on my ipod but those are my favs. mostly metal with prog influences now that i look at that list.

An bád dubh

Nice thread.

But hey, what's the password for Magma?

whodunit?

Zevaka

Quote from: whodunit? on Jan 24, 2009, 06:02 PM
Quote from: Zevaka on Jan 24, 2009, 05:36 PM

Can?
they are one of the best

Crazylegs

4th eye introduced me to a great Finnish band a few years ago called Kingston Wall, i don't have anything to upload i'm afraid i only got them on cd, but if you get the chance you should check them out.

defTHE1s

i've heard some years ago that SOAD was progressive rock... but i have my doubts, would they fit in that category?

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

theis

An bád dubh

Quote from: whodunit? on Jan 24, 2009, 07:48 PM
Quote from: An bád dubh on Jan 24, 2009, 07:28 PM
Nice thread.

But hey, what's the password for Magma?

try humppazoid.blogspot.com
Ah, that doesn't seem to work... Tried it 4 times to eliminate the chance of a typo.

defTHE1s

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Jan 25, 2009, 09:03 PM
Quote from: defTHE1s on Jan 25, 2009, 08:54 PM
would they fit in that category?

hahaha.
i did the same when i heard that, but, what would be a definition of prog. rock?

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

mr.sinister

deleted

mr.sinister

My favorite style of music :)

My favorite prog rock/metal bands are

Opeth, Rush, Dream Theater, Yes, Camel, Tool, Mars Volta Genesis, Porcupine Tree Zeppelin damn the list goes on and on....

4th Eye

Quote from: Crazylegs on Jan 25, 2009, 03:05 PM
4th eye introduced me to a great Finnish band a few years ago called Kingston Wall, i don't have anything to upload i'm afraid i only got them on cd, but if you get the chance you should check them out.

I introduced Kingston Wall to my girlfriend and now she's absolutely in love with the band. I'm almost left second... :(

I could probably upload some stuff later when/if I have time.

wheresmysnare

i would say godspeed you black emporer and similar spin offs like explosions in the sky should be considered as prog rock, i mean gybe starts with like a hobo playing the spoons and ends up with a 40 piece orchestra by the end, that's progressive.