Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Strings - which do you use?

Started by whodunit?, Feb 05, 2009, 04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whodunit?

So, I use acoustic Ibanez and always had probelm with choosing strings.

I've always had some heavy strings bu as a let's-say-beginner it's too difficult to play them, really. I just bought Ernie Ball Earthwood Light but they have horrible metalic sound.

Does anyone know any good and light strings? Should I practise with nylon strings maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS I don't know if this is a good place to discuss such thing or is ART section better. If so please move it  ;)

alvarezbassist17

um you shouldn't put nylon strings on a steel string guitar, that would be bad news.  i really really like elixir strings, but it's definitely a matter of personal preference.  martin and d'addario also make very good strings, there's one other brand i can't think of at the moment.  but try out some elixirs, they're kind of expensive but they have a great sound.

ernie balls are the shit for electric though.

theis

Ernie Ball slinky 5-string (bass).

only ones i play with.

whodunit?

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Feb 05, 2009, 05:07 PM
um you shouldn't put nylon strings on a steel string guitar, that would be bad news.  i really really like elixir strings, but it's definitely a matter of personal preference.  martin and d'addario also make very good strings, there's one other brand i can't think of at the moment.  but try out some elixirs, they're kind of expensive but they have a great sound.

ernie balls are the shit for electric though.

I heard about all you mentioned. I don't really want to spend money on elixir. I'll try martin and d'addario.

thanks.

lostpilot

nothing too expensive or exquisite.
at the moment on my electric I have RotoSound Roto Blues strings..
and I have a pack of Dean Markley Nuno Bettencourt strings.

whodunit?

oh, and just a completely NOOB question.

what's the difference between, let's say 10-46, 11-52 and so on...?

lostpilot

actually I have no idea what are you referring to right here.
maybe it's the micrometres of strings width?..

yeah. 10-46 means that the lowest tone string is 46 (xxxxxmetres wide) and the highest tone string is 10 (xxxxxmetres wide).

plus: usually it's written like .009 .011 .016 .026 .036 .046 etc

whodunit?

Quote from: lostpilot on Feb 05, 2009, 06:27 PM
actually I have no idea what are you referring to right here.
maybe it's the micrometres of strings width?..

yeah. 10-46 means that the lowest tone string is 46 (xxxxxmetres wide) and the highest tone string is 10 (xxxxxmetres wide).

plus: usually it's written like .009 .011 .016 .026 .036 .046 etc

oh, that would make sense. I'm a complete noob  :-[  :(

lostpilot

man it's ok.
nobody was born knowing everything

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Feb 05, 2009, 05:25 PM
Ernie Ball slinky 5-string (bass).

only ones i play with.

those are way way too bright for me, i really dig the warmer tones of some d'addarios.