Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Music phases throughout your life

Started by An bád dubh, Aug 04, 2010, 01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An bád dubh

Im sure we've all had these - phases when we listen to only one, and one band only, almost all the time.

I thought it would be cool to list the Music phases you have had throughout your life. And mark down only the real phases, which have lasted for such a long time that you almost got tired of the whole band... but you get back to them as they own your heart. Or not, because the time is gone and will never return.

You can do it chronologically, but dont think that you have to pick a band for each year if you mark the years. During some phases I have 3 or 4 bands that I listen to constantly so theres not just one band apparent during those phases. If theres no band for a certain year it doesnt mean that you didnt listen to tons of music during the year. It just means that theres no single band that moved you more than anything else.

So pick just the biggest phases, the real phases, the ones which you can still clearly remember and feel. Some phases come back again and again, you can mark all the appearances of them if you wish. For me the first appearance of them seems have clearly the most emotion in it, so Im gonna leave it to that.

And remember, this is not a list of your favorite band at the moment by any means, more like a list of your music history.

My Music Phases:

1998: Deftones
1998: Korn
2000: Nirvana
2000: Project 86
2002: Engine Down
2002: Dredg
2003: Incubus
2005: The Mars Volta
2006: Kaddisfly
2008: Wax Tailor
2009: The Fall of Troy
2010: AFI

Some notions:

- Its really hard to keep the list short. There were tens of band who could have made the list because they were part of a shorter/smaller/less emotional phase.
- Rock bands seem to control the list! Hardly any Hip Hop/Trip Hop in there. Maybe they are able to catch more emotion than other styles of music.

So yeah, be sure to draw the line somewhere, if theres 4 bands for each year youre probably missing the most important ones. When youre done with your list, go through it once more and delete the ones that shouldnt really be among the others. That will make your list perfec for this purposet!

Hopefully Im not the only one who will this list haha. Doesnt feel like the idea of the century but I hope you'll enjoy thinking this stuff for yourselves too!

Edit. Deleted two more bands.

raynor

lists and lists and lists and lists and lists and lists and lists and lists for candy!

alright, but I admit it, they're fun.

1986. Europe
1992. Roxette
1993. Gyllene Tider
1999. Hallucinogen
2000. Deftones
2004. The Mars Volta/The Blood Brothers
2006. Why?
2008. Animal Collective
2010. Cymbals Eat Guitars

Realize as I did this list I'm usually one year behind with every favourite artist.

An bád dubh, dude you were a bit late on your TFOT-phase (don't worry we've all had it). Not trying to diss you, but doppelgänger was the only thing really worth listening to don't you agree?

Crazylegs

i don't remember exactly what years i started listening to specific bands, but i'll make a vague list.

early nineties (92-94):  The Beatles and Pink Floyd
94-97: Michael Jackson
97-2000: various pop and techno acts
2000: Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and the like.
2002: Tool and Deftones
2004: The Mars Volta
2005: Pink Floyd (again)
2007: Porcupine Tree
2008: Oceansize
2008: Radiohead
2009: Motorpsycho
2009: Neil Young
2010: Marco Benevento and i'm totally digging on The Cinematic Orchestra at the moment. I think it might stick.

I'm sure i've forgot many, but these are the bands and artists that come to mind, that i've been totally and utterly stoked on.

An bád dubh

Quote from: raynor on Aug 04, 2010, 08:39 PM

-------
Realize as I did this list I'm usually one year behind with every favourite artist.

An bád dubh, dude you were a bit late on your TFOT-phase (don't worry we've all had it). Not trying to diss you, but doppelgänger was the only thing really worth listening to don't you agree?
Well, if you emphasize really, I gotta say that I... still dont agree. True, doppelgänger does hit me the hardest and I got into them throught that album but I cant help but enjoying the two last albums as well. As I said before, lucky me!

And man, I seem to be about 5 years behind with my newest bands... at least when it comes to the albums/the periods I love most from them.

Cool list by the way! By the looks of the first 3 you must have grown up in Sweden, nothing else can explain that  8)

raynor

Quote from: An bád dubh on Aug 04, 2010, 09:25 PM

-------

Well, if you emphasize really, I gotta say that I... still dont agree. True, doppelgänger does hit me the hardest and I got into them throught that album but I cant help but enjoying the two last albums as well. As I said before, lucky me!

And man, I seem to be about 5 years behind with my newest bands... at least when it comes to the albums/the periods I love most from them.

Cool list by the way! By the looks of the first 3 you must have grown up in Sweden, nothing else can explain that  8)
Yeah swedish, wait are you as well?

An bád dubh

Quote from: raynor on Aug 04, 2010, 09:31 PM
Quote from: An bád dubh on Aug 04, 2010, 09:25 PM

-------

Yeah swedish, wait are you as well?
At the moment yeah, kinda. Studying a Masters degree here for 2 years, starting my second year in a month. Im from Finland though.

Jacob

1993: Queen
1995: Nirvana / Offspring
1997: Metallica
1998: Pearl Jam / Alice In Chains / Soundgarden / Stone Temple Pilots etc (grunge in general)
1999: Faith No More
2000: Tool / A Perfect Circle
2000: Led Zeppelin
2000: Type O Negative
2000: Jane's Addiction
2000: Fishbone
2002: Paradise Lost
2002: Deftones
2003: Slipknot / Mudvayne
2005: a whole lot of reggae and ska
2006: Pink Floyd
2006-2007: a new wave of Fishbone
2008: Faunts
2008-2009: a new wave of Type O Negative and Paradise Lost, plus a shitload of Katatonia
2009: Porcupine Tree
2010: a new wave of Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam

those are just estimates, can't remember exactly when I started each craze/phase. the thing is also that I can get relapse episodes that last several months with bands that I first got really into years earlier. so it's hard to pin down when the "worst" phase was with each band/style. also, in between the above I've had some pretty intense episodes of lots of other bands.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

An bád dubh

Quote from: Jacob on Aug 05, 2010, 09:22 AM
----
2000: Fishbone
--------
2006-2007: a new wave of Fishbone
-----

Never heard of Fishbone I think.. so I better check them out as youve had a Fishbone phase twice. What should I check out from them?

And Jacob, youre not "aenemic" are you? Maybe its just your avatar or something, reminds me a lot of what he used to have back in the day. And if youre not him, whatever happened to him?

Oh, and people, come on, post your phases, its my secret way of finding new great music. And should be yours as well.

Jacob

Quote from: An bád dubh on Aug 10, 2010, 05:00 PM
Never heard of Fishbone I think.. so I better check them out as youve had a Fishbone phase twice. What should I check out from them?

And Jacob, youre not "aenemic" are you? Maybe its just your avatar or something, reminds me a lot of what he used to have back in the day. And if youre not him, whatever happened to him?

Oh, and people, come on, post your phases, its my secret way of finding new great music. And should be yours as well.

I am, in fact, aenemic. I thought everyone knew me by my real name by now.

as for Fishbone, they're... special. I like them because they're so damn crazy you never really know what to expect. if you're anything into a mixture of reggae, ska, punk, avant-garde, funk and metal, then you should definitely check them out. if you're someone who needs to put bands into genres and want your music serious and easy to listen to, then don't bother :P   I'd suggest you take a listen to The Reality of My Surrounding, it's definitely their best album.

An bád dubh

Quote from: Jacob on Aug 11, 2010, 10:55 AM
Quote from: An bád dubh on Aug 10, 2010, 05:00 PM

I am, in fact, aenemic. I thought everyone knew me by my real name by now.

as for Fishbone, they're... special. I like them because they're so damn crazy you never really know what to expect. if you're anything into a mixture of reggae, ska, punk, avant-garde, funk and metal, then you should definitely check them out. if you're someone who needs to put bands into genres and want your music serious and easy to listen to, then don't bother :P   I'd suggest you take a listen to The Reality of My Surrounding, it's definitely their best album.
I probably knew it as well, somehow. I just seem to forget a lot of things nowadays. Anyways, good to see you, now that I know its you.

And I dont really do genres, though they at times help to define in a broad way to others the stuff I listen to. Music can be serious or not, easy to listen or not, certain elements in music just breaks it or makes it for me. I dont know what they are but I surely recognize what is good music just for me.

So with that said, I checked out a couple of tracks on Youtube from that album, the singles. Gonna download the album later and see what I think.

An bád dubh

Checked out FIshbone and Reality of my Surroundings. Was a really varied album, cant remember any single moments after listening, which is usually a good sign. Definitely takes time to sink in though. The first thoughts I had overall were that the stuff was rather uplifting. Somehow felt some gospel influences here and there too. Tracks such as "So Many Millions" and "Behavior Control Technician" were probably the catchiest tracks on the record.

Overall, I'm intrigued and will definitely dig into the band a bit deeper.

Jacob

yeah, it's definitely uplifting stuff. glad you're at least intrigued and didn't hate it at first listen. there are a few moments on the album (as with most their albums, to be honest) when it just gets a little bit "too much". but at least I have learned to either skip those parts or just ignore them and concentrate on the awesomeness that is the rest. the two tracks you mentioned are among the best, with "Behavior Control Technician" being my absolute favorite. "Pray to the Junkiemaker" is also a favorite, as well as "Sunless Saturday". and yes, there are definitely a lot of gospel influences among all the other odd stuff they throw in there.

if you end up digging the album, I suggest you move on to "Give A Monkey A Brain..." which came after and is kinda more of the same. and then you have their latest album, "Still Stuck in Your Throat", which is probably the most consistent album they've ever made. that's the main problem with them: they have a hard time making a consistent album that holds the same quality from start to finish. on almost every album there is material which is nothing more than filler and could have easily been left out.

lostpilot

This can be very very different from reality, memory serves me well :(

Two ways of what I listened to:

a) bands
1995-2001: various incoherent music - Pink Floyd/Queen/Wu-Tang Clan (yeah, wut?)/RADIO_SHITZ
2001: Linkin Park/Limp Bizkit/System of a Down/Evanescence/pop-punk/Korn/Dashboard Confessional/Dead Poetic/
2003: Sepultura/Dimmu Borgir/Soulfly/Fear Factory/Static-X
2004: Deftones
2006: Bloc Party/mewithoutYou/Explosions in the Sky/Mogwai
2007: Thrice/Oceansize/Radiohead/Red Sparowes/dredg
2008: The Appleseed Cast/Sigur Ros/GY!BE
2009: The Appleseed Cast/Jesu/ASMZ
2010: MONO/Isis/Neurosis/
future: drone/post-metal/sludge/intelligent metal forms/atmospheric

b) genres:
1995-2001: various generic radio-friendly music
2001: anxiety ridden pop-punk/alternative rock
2003: heavier teenage anxiety/anger rock
2004: intelligent heavy/alternative rock = Deftones
2006: indie rock/intelligent indie rock/post-rock roots
2007: progressive/experimental rock/art rock
2008: generic post-rock phase/ambient (rock)/eclectic forms (leaning towards ambient and "glowing" universal sound)
2009: "glowing" post-rock/eclectic variations of modern rock music/deconstructing the music (leaning towards epic/tribal movements)
2010: intelligent metal/tribal-epic-cosmic music
future: drone/post-metal/sludge/intelligent metal forms/atmospheric

Oldnewtype

I cant remember that well. I know I had a 60's phase, a 70's phase, and an 80's (metal) phase consecutively for about 4 years.

Jizzlobber

one of my favorite phases of life was the phase within one week, of not hearing the Deftones ever...then to a few days later hearing them for the first time...

i wish i could go back to hearing Deftones for the first time..
<