Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Great Unknown Bands -thread

Started by An bád dubh, Mar 19, 2009, 08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An bád dubh

Well, this thread is started mainly because I just can't seem to find a suitable topic for the stuff I want to upload or post links to. Also, this thread is for all those unknown bands that we all have in our collections. Surely some other people know about the bands as well but not as many as you think should know about them. So the purpose is to bring new bands and albums to people. If you think a band is not well known, you are probably right, and if you think and a band is already known by everyone, you are most probably right as well.

I had a request on some Trip Hop bands so I'm gonna concentrate my uploads/links on them in the beginning, along with other stuff that I enjoy. I hope other people will post their great unknown bands in this thread as well!

Here we go:

Bonobo - Live Sessions EP (2005)
Definition: GREAT Downbeat/Trip Hop
http://rapidshare.com/files/71580082/Bonobo_-_Live_Sessions_EP__Ninja_Tune_.rar

Rofrigo y Gabriela - Rodrigo y Gabriela (2006)
Definition: Instrumental/Flamenco, not your typical Flamenco though, a great album
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=mdujhb9f

The Stiletto Formal - ¡Fiesta Fiesta Fiesta Fiesta! (2008)
Definition: Experimental/Progressive, posted on the Prog rock thread but was taken so well that I'll post it again here
http://www.mediafire.com/?zqngzhykkjy

Well, those 3 just to get this thread started. I don't want to suffocate you people by posting 10 albums at once. Even 3 new albums takes time to listen to. I'll post more probably in the beginning of next week.

And if you have some music to post, I hope you do! It's always great to hear new music.

edit. posted a better quality link for Rodrigo y Gabriela

skooks

Bonobo is a Brighton boy. Automatically makes him a bit of a legend.
http://www.last.fm/user/skooks
http://skooks.tumblr.com/

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

shine down unshy

An bád dubh

Yeah, Bonobo is really good.

Animal Magic by Bonobo is also a fantastic album.

ben

lostpilot

I'd say Crystal Antlers.

I did upload their EP here, in the D&R thread, and now their new album - Tentacles is out, which is also very nice. Genre? noisy garage rock, I'd say.

Nailec

i thinks we have made enough separations of music in our board. we dont really need this one, wheter a band is unknown or not.

who cares? and what will be the next difference we find and make?

a thread just for 3-member-bands?

An bád dubh

Quote from: Nailec on Mar 22, 2009, 04:55 PM
i thinks we have made enough separations of music in our board. we dont really need this one, wheter a band is unknown or not.

A thread for 3-member-bands... taht would be kinda cool actually hehe. Umm, isn't Volta Do Mar a 3 piece? Actually a 3 piece with 2 basses! They are great, I shall upload an album by them one day soon.

Oh, I shall dig out that Crystal Antlers EP from the D&R thread. And the Kay Kay and his Weathered Underground sounds like nothing I've heard before so I thank you for bringing it to my and other people's attention. I shall give it a closer listen later. Do they have any albums out?

Anyways, Nailec, this thread is for finding new, great bands. For me new and great bands usually mean that they are bands which I have never heard before thus they should be fairly unknown. This thread is basically also because I can not find anything from the Download and Request thread, or from the It Leaked thread. There is lots of great music there but it gets lost with so many albums and bands so I got frustrated with it and havent been there pretty much in 6 months or even a year now, can't remember..

I also enjoy music from pretty much all genres and my music taste is sadly too broad for me to just stick to let's say to the Hardcore, Metalcore, Grindcore, Screamo -thread which is 415 pages long. Damn, I wish I could enjoy these genres that much as I would just be able to download a new album from that thread every day. It would be awesome, no kidding. I'm glad that I do enjoy some artists from these genres, not enough though, so if anyone has any suggestions it would be great!

Man, I shouldn't explain myself but to say it in a nutshell: I don't really care much for Genres, but genres and differentiations help people find music which they presumably like. It's disappointing to get disappointed constantly with an album that one downloads or buys. That is why we all come to these threads on this Sharinglungs board, in order to get recommendations from fans of a band that we all have at one point loved and adored, as they probably have even some similarities in their musical tastes. Also, this thread is for all genres and it is specific enough in order for people to hopefully find new music through it and I think that's why it's important.

lostpilot

* lostpilot writes plus one for An bád dubh

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on Mar 22, 2009, 08:50 PM
I shall write that down on the first row of my + list. I believe that is the first plus I have ever gotten! When did we have those pluses and minuses anyways, was it just like a year ago or was it a looooong time ago? Man, I have seriously no conception of time.

lostpilot

Quote from: An bád dubh on Mar 22, 2009, 09:25 PM
Quote from: lostpilot on Mar 22, 2009, 08:50 PM
I shall write that down on the first row of my + list. I believe that is the first plus I have ever gotten! When did we have those pluses and minuses anyways, was it just like a year ago or was it a looooong time ago? Man, I have seriously no conception of time.

oh I hated the karma system. I had like -20 or something. ;D
people didn't know me then, I guess. and karma system worked.. ehm.. I guess more than two years ago?..

Starz

Quote from: Nailec on Mar 22, 2009, 04:55 PM

Okay.

Starz

Anyway...

Subheim - Approach

http://rapidshare.com/files/196860121/Subheim_-_2008-Approach__-___experimentalrock.wordpress.com__.rar

This album was released last year and is an IDM/Down-Tempo album I guess, but I've heard nothing like it before. It gets me everytime I listen to it. The production is amazing, the drums, the pads and the vocals. Even if this doesn't sound like your thing I highly recommend it.

Blackfilm - Blackfilm

http://rapidshare.com/files/119803863/Blackfilm2008_triphopx.wordpress.rar

The Blackfilm project presents us a pleasurable experimental triphop sound on it's debuting album that moves in between the dark idm/electronica influences from Future Sound of London in the Dead Cities times, the triphop and dub sounds from Amon Tobin or Portishead and film noir soundtracks that could have come from David Lynch movies. Blackfilm manages to connect dramatic classical moments with strings, flutes and apocalyptic haunting ambient to downtempo as well as breakbeat rhythms. Tracks such as 'Interference' and 'Sonar' stay relatively close to the grooving triphop sound from the 90's, yet added idm and neoclassical influences ensure the sound is up-to-date. The special aspect of this recording is that it recalls more than once strong associations with FSOL and this could be taken as a huge compliment. Especially 'Come & See' and 'Stalingrad' reflect this in the sound and this makes these, together with the oriental sounding 'Mahabharata' which has splendid female chants and heavy bass beats, the highlights of this cinematographic example of dark electronics. Blackfilm delivers with a stunningly beautiful debut.

Burial - Untrue

http://rapidshare.com/files/73597257/burial_-_untrue_2007.rar

This can't even be explained. There is nothing like this out there. This album is near enough on repeat for me the whole time. It's so dreamy and life like and is full of emotional nostalgic moments. Best listened to with headphones whilst walking home late at night :) IDM meets Dubstep meets Garage? haha forget the genres, just listen!

Just to let you know, none of the above I posted are "bands" they are all one man projects.

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on Mar 22, 2009, 10:21 PM
oh I hated the karma system. I had like -20 or something. ;D
people didn't know me then, I guess. and karma system worked.. ehm.. I guess more than two years ago?..
More than 2 years ago, damn.
Anyways, man, could you upload Crystal Antlers, the EP or the album. The links on Download and Request board are dead and I can not seem to find anything by them through Google. I'm interested to hear them.

An bád dubh

Quote from: Starz on Mar 23, 2009, 01:05 AM
Anyway...

Subheim - Approach

http://rapidshare.com/files/196860121/Subheim_-_2008-Approach__-___experimentalrock.wordpress.com__.rar

This album was released last year and is an IDM/Down-Tempo album I guess, but I've heard nothing like it before. It gets me everytime I listen to it. The production is amazing, the drums, the pads and the vocals. Even if this doesn't sound like your thing I highly recommend it.

Blackfilm - Blackfilm

http://rapidshare.com/files/119803863/Blackfilm2008_triphopx.wordpress.rar

The Blackfilm project presents us a pleasurable experimental triphop sound on it's debuting album that moves in between the dark idm/electronica influences from Future Sound of London in the Dead Cities times, the triphop and dub sounds from Amon Tobin or Portishead and film noir soundtracks that could have come from David Lynch movies. Blackfilm manages to connect dramatic classical moments with strings, flutes and apocalyptic haunting ambient to downtempo as well as breakbeat rhythms. Tracks such as 'Interference' and 'Sonar' stay relatively close to the grooving triphop sound from the 90's, yet added idm and neoclassical influences ensure the sound is up-to-date. The special aspect of this recording is that it recalls more than once strong associations with FSOL and this could be taken as a huge compliment. Especially 'Come & See' and 'Stalingrad' reflect this in the sound and this makes these, together with the oriental sounding 'Mahabharata' which has splendid female chants and heavy bass beats, the highlights of this cinematographic example of dark electronics. Blackfilm delivers with a stunningly beautiful debut.

Burial - Untrue

http://rapidshare.com/files/73597257/burial_-_untrue_2007.rar

This can't even be explained. There is nothing like this out there. This album is near enough on repeat for me the whole time. It's so dreamy and life like and is full of emotional nostalgic moments. Best listened to with headphones whilst walking home late at night :) IDM meets Dubstep meets Garage? haha forget the genres, just listen!

Just to let you know, none of the above I posted are "bands" they are all one man projects.
Judging by those album descriptions, I have high hopes for all of those 3 albums!
I love Trip Hop and anything close to it so I shall give all of those a try. Oh, and most one man projects are pretty great in this genre.

Also, IDM is a totally new concept for me, I'm looking forward to hear how it sounds! I shall start with Subheim and save the other 2 albums for the end of the week :) Thanks for the recommendations!

Starz

No problem. Let me know what you think of the albums, good or bad!

An bád dubh

Quote from: Starz on Mar 23, 2009, 06:41 PM
No problem. Let me know what you think of the albums, good or bad!
Okay, so I listened to Subheim. Definitely an album that I need to listen to more than a few times before I can say anything definite about it. You were right for me as well when you said that you haven't heard nothing like it before. Same here. But I'm not sure is it good or bad just yet. The album had a very distinctive feel to it, a lot of atmosphere if I could say so. There were also a lot quiet and slow parts, during some I wished that the song would pick up. Maybe the whole album was a bit too slow paced for my liking at the moment. "Howl" and "Away" were the highlights of the album for me though.

Overall, like you said, the production is great. I need to give the album another try some time later, maybe put on my headphones and go for a walk like you recommended for Burial. And who knows, maybe I'm just not ready for this kind of music yet, I need to grow into it rather than it needs to grow on me. So I will save it in my music files and return to it at some point.

I'll try Blackfilm next, probably on friday or during the weekend. I have also a few other albums that I need to check out but I'll just save those for later 8)

lostpilot

Honestly, idm is not my cup of tea, so I did not like Subheim and Blackfilm.

and as for The Stiletto Formal - ¡Fiesta Fiesta Fiesta Fiesta!, well.. the vocals did not fit me much. ah. I always complain about the vocals. sorry guys.

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on Mar 24, 2009, 09:01 PM
Honestly, idm is not my cup of tea, so I did not like Subheim and Blackfilm.

and as for The Stiletto Formal - ¡Fiesta Fiesta Fiesta Fiesta!, well.. the vocals did not fit me much. ah. I always complain about the vocals. sorry guys.
There's always such a fine line between good and annoying vocals. Some bands sound great but the vocals turn me off so much that I just can't listen to it. Good vocals make the band and I'm always happy if I enjoy the vocals. I love the vocals on The Stiletto Formal though.  By the way man, I'm still waiting for the Crystal Antlers :)

lostpilot