Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Great Unknown Bands -thread

Started by An bád dubh, Mar 19, 2009, 08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostpilot

the problem is that last fm swallowed the fourth journal entry :/ I have no idea where is it now.
sucks.

anyway, where have you been?

theis

Quote from: An bád dubh on Sep 07, 2009, 01:54 PM
Great, I shall check that out when I get more time to check out new music during winter.

Good to see you, man.

Any good bands you can recommend? :)

An bád dubh

Good to see you too guys  :)

And I've just had a very busy beginning to my MBA studies.. With all the paperwork, rental issues, meeting new people from the university and lots of school work, I just haven't had time to write here at all. I check in here a few times a week though just to see what's up.

As for music recommendations, well I reorganised my music archives before I came here, and did indeed find some great stuff there that I had forgotten. I'll share that later when I have the time to look into them.

Oh, and as a last excuse, I have been improving a lot on my guitar so it takes time from other things, AND I have started to play poker again after a few years  ;) Shit, and Finnish hockey season is starting next week, damn. But I'll be around for sure.

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on Sep 07, 2009, 02:13 PM
the problem is that last fm swallowed the fourth journal entry :/ I have no idea where is it now.
sucks.

anyway, where have you been?
Oh, and as for your 4th journal entry, isnt it this one:

Discoveries (volume IV)
27 Aug 2009, 22:06

hello, class!

today we're gonna learn about some kick-ass music.

1. This Is Our Punk-Rock, Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing

Yes, kids, yes. Finally. To be honest sometime ago when I was stealing the internets I never noticed this ASMZ album. It just ran through my eyes and never ended up in my discography. So when I found it I was quite surprised that there actually is an album I do not know about. Surprising! The album itself.. I was carried away easily by the compelling fa-so-la intro, the tape-like atmosphere throughout the album and somewhat typical ASMZ emotional strength of the album. This masterpiece explodes with sincerity and pure yet unstable emotion. "Everybody gets a little lost sometimes". Cryworthy.

2. Horses in the Sky

Yes, kids, yes. Finally x2. This album - when I once listened to it - gave me the chills. The problem was that those chills were highly negative. I pretty much disliked the album very much, it seemed too folky for me..and then once again the divine intervention with a probable explosion of "ready" mood (this happens all the time when hungover or similarly under the influence) and it started to charm me with ASMZish sincerity. Major standout - Mountains Made of Steam. Instant love.

3. The amazing Motek and their Port Sunshine.

Even though I somewhat destroyed this album by having a wrong track order, still, not what I expected. The first impressions were of a quite typical post-rock band with somewhat edge and upbeat feeling, but all the other tracks mesmerized me with their depressive (not too far out) stance. Everyone is whining about the vocals. I like them. I like imperfect things, I like honest things. This falls under that category. Highly recommended.

4. A different collision of sounds, called Radius System.

Far From Truth was exceptional - close to Vessels' glorious Yuki with it's piano driven emotionally charged rock. Then the other tracks of the band proved them to be much more versatile - even stretching out to screamo-ish part of the music world, enjoying their noisy screams and pure emotion breaking through highly distorted guitars. Then again, songs like Impulsion (both parts) tracks you back to slowcore and highly emotional sincerity.

5. Somewhere Between The Sun and The Moon by Wixel.

Prejudice is a very challenging thing - that's just a fact. Two Old Songs was highly enjoyable yet some information reached me, as if this EP was totally different from everything else by this somewhat acoustic/electronica/post band. So when I started listening to this album I only noticed the somewhat dullness of acoustic guitars - and even the soundscapes where just too familiar (as in the EP). But then again, I gave it some time and it paid off. Great ambience, great somewhat sterile signature. Nice find, psychedeliclife.

6. Crippled Black Pheonix.. could be the next best thing.

It's a rarity, finding a band with such diverse songs and overall feeling. I found some evident desert-ish almost stoner rock-ish riffs, ambience, post-rock vibes, general alternative rock vibes (which is not bad when you put it in this context). You can find pretty much everything here, including the quite annoying pieces of a marching band of a circus. yes, that part is quite irritating. Still, this is a very promising band with quite a clear fixed greatness. Looking forward to excavating even more.

7. Jóhann Jóhannsson.

My final weapon against my sleep is Fordlândia. Somewhat ambient somewhat contemporary classical - this is a great treat to your chilly nights and evenings with tea. I am not fully through the album but it sounds really promising. Just relax and (day)dream.

upcoming trials:
Heart
Bob
A Love of Shared Disasters
Palace Of The Night Skies
Let Airplanes Circle Overhead

and yes, I missed a free Codes In The Clouds show today. yay

lostpilot

yeah, dubh, that was the journal. I have no idea why it isn't visible to me.. totally weird.
anyway, check that stuff out!

uchiha_sasuke

Thanks for all the uploads. XD

decapod

Quote from: Jani on Sep 07, 2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.myspace.com/thegodmachine

AMAZING unknown band! "Scenes from the Second Storey" is a classic album, as is they're other release. I started a God Machine thread here on SL, man. Check it out!

Oldnewtype

Executioner is a sweet as new progressive death/thrash band, but you can't hear the album yet because only 3 songs are done.

Oh and anyone ever heard Swashbuckle? Pirates playing thrash metal, fucking cool.

sing blue silver

www.heyrosetta.com

one of my all time favorites. a little band out of newfoundland they've been gaining steam the past few years. they are INCREDIBLE. also one of the best live bands i've ever seen.

ben

Checked out Rings of Saturn courtesy of alltimegreatesthits.

Pretty cool technical metal, check it out.

fireflyry

Blindspot, Jakob and Shihad.

All New Zealand bands that would have been huge overseas but the New Zealand music market is way to small for such bands to make a living here.

Bummer.

Blindspot:

Blindspott - Nil By Mouth

Blindspott - Room To Breathe

Jakob:

Jakob - Safety in numbers

Jakob - nice day for an earthquake

Shihad:

Shihad - You Again

Shihad - Bitter

Outside New Zealand I've heard rumours that people aren't aware of a band called Kyuss.If your american hang your head in shame.

Kyuss - Whitewater

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

An bád dubh

Hey fireflyry

Could you name your favorite album by all four bands? So that I can go get some of that stuff. They all sound like something I wanna dig into a bit more. I do have Welcome to Sky Valley by Kyuss and I thought I had some stuff by Jacob but I guess not...

Much appreciated man  8)

fireflyry

No probs dude.

There's a Jakob thread in the downloads section atm but let me know if any links are dead.I'd go with Subset of Sets.

The best Shihad album in my opinion is Killjoy and Blindspot's would be their self-titled debut.If you have any issues tracking them down let me know and I'll up them for you.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

isopure

I've had them on rotation for a few weeks . I dig it and its free.  Thought I would share.

http://redfridayband.com

Reminds me a bit of tool maybe.  But I like music that is a bit off the wall usually.

Starz

wither-I

i made a topic about these guys but nobody seemed to really hit on it. which is shocking.

this is all anyone should be listening to right now.

http://www.myspace.com/postharbor

"coming into the nearness of distance"

raynor

you guys heard of korn? don't think they're that well known. you could say they play metal, but like you know a modern version of it. hell, let's call it nu-metal. anyway they're pretty awesome, check 'em out!

ps. the singer sings about his childhood, it's pretty rad. .ds

lostpilot

guys, I have an awesome new band you have got to hear

it's

LIMP BIZKIT