Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Great Unknown Bands -thread

Started by An bád dubh, Mar 19, 2009, 08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wither-I

Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 16, 2009, 12:57 PM
wither-I, Omatic sounds great man! Amazingly chaotic like you said, but manages to impress with everything that's going on. The vocals are great, the guitars and the drums too, thanks for the recommendation man! I don't really know which bands to compare this band to, this is something totally different. It's a great feeling when all the songs on the album catch you off guard and you just have to wait what's gonna happen next. Brilliant!
im glad you enjoy it!
do you have anymore of "facing new york" im in love and would appreciate anything and everything from them! i went on their myspace and i like the other tracks that i heard! thanks again bro

"coming into the nearness of distance"

An bád dubh

Quote from: wither-I on Apr 22, 2009, 07:51 PM
Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 16, 2009, 12:57 PM
wither-I, Omatic sounds great man! Amazingly chaotic like you said, but manages to impress with everything that's going on. The vocals are great, the guitars and the drums too, thanks for the recommendation man! I don't really know which bands to compare this band to, this is something totally different. It's a great feeling when all the songs on the album catch you off guard and you just have to wait what's gonna happen next. Brilliant!
im glad you enjoy it!
do you have anymore of "facing new york" im in love and would appreciate anything and everything from them! i went on their myspace and i like the other tracks that i heard! thanks again bro
Their new album "Get Hot"
http://rapidshare.com/files/150442320/Facing_New_York-Get_Hot-WEB-2008-HiBRiD.rar

This band is pretty amazing. The new album is something different, has also the songs that you listened to from Myspace.

The Selftitled is still by far my favorite album by them, the new one is fun to listen to but the selftitled had something epic going on.

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on Apr 22, 2009, 07:34 PM
Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 22, 2009, 06:57 PM
Quote from: lostpilot on Apr 22, 2009, 11:34 AM
An bád dubh, you never found me a band I was asking for :P
desert-ish dredg-ish progressive rock.
dredg is just not enough.
could be with links to stoner/psychedelic rock whatever. I believe you know bands like that
Oh, sorry bro, I thought it was just a joke hehe. But now that I know that it is not, I shall deliver, I promise you that! I still have to decide what you mean by desert-ish, heh, but I think I have a band that will fit your desciption. I'll post something tomorrow evening.

El Cielo is desert-ish. I cannot understand why.
I can see why you say that in a way. Also, there is actually only one band and one album you need to hear. There are more but this one I believe will fit your need of desert-ish dredg-ish progressive rock. This album pretty much defines progressive rock even though it is not as heavy as most progressive rock album. This is more like indie rock with actually that desert-ish vibe you wish to have. An album I forgot for a long time until last week got around to listen to it again because of this thread.

This was already recommended by Fireal but I'll post it now with a link, so here ya go:

Bedroom Heroes - Sea Change (2001)
http://rapidshare.com/files/75872989/_2001Sea_change.rar

Such a chill album with lots of diversity, vocals to match that of Dredg's, and on top of all, all the songs on the album are great and surprising. I can't believe this band parted ways after a debut album like this.

lostpilot

theis

Sea Change is such an amazing album.

wither-I

"coming into the nearness of distance"

lostpilot

lostpilot

I liked the album very much. Nice not annoying vocals, nice Appleseed Cast'ish sound (okay I see them everywhere), nice song structure. Nice after all! Thank you :)

lostpilot

..quick notice, does anyone know bands which would sound something like Oceansize? I mean like songs 'Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs', 'Long Forgotten', 'Massive Bereavement', 'Music for a Nurse' etc?

oldgentlovecraft

Mermaid in a Manhole - Flesh Drapes the Spire

Excellent, experimental deathcore.  Don't listen expecting the typical sounds.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8uutj21i898

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on Apr 24, 2009, 11:04 AM
..quick notice, does anyone know bands which would sound something like Oceansize? I mean like songs 'Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs', 'Long Forgotten', 'Massive Bereavement', 'Music for a Nurse' etc?
Oceansize is one of those bands which I've never gotten into. I've given them a chance over and over again but they just don't do anything to me. I could have something similar though, I'll give Oceansize another try in a few days to see which band or album album to consider similar to those songs you mentioned.

lostpilot

Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 25, 2009, 07:44 AM
Oceansize is one of those bands which I've never gotten into. I've given them a chance over and over again but they just don't do anything to me. I could have something similar though, I'll give Oceansize another try in a few days to see which band or album album to consider similar to those songs you mentioned.

maybe you were listening not to their best album. I'd personally say this: first of all try downloading 'Everyone into Position' but do not listen to the whole album. Just listen to 'Music for a Nurse' which is freaking amazing. And then listen to 'Effloresce'. Because imo this is their best, 'Frames' isn't even close to being as good as 'Effloresce'

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on Apr 25, 2009, 08:44 AM
Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 25, 2009, 07:44 AM

maybe you were listening not to their best album. I'd personally say this: first of all try downloading 'Everyone into Position' but do not listen to the whole album. Just listen to 'Music for a Nurse' which is freaking amazing. And then listen to 'Effloresce'. Because imo this is their best, 'Frames' isn't even close to being as good as 'Effloresce'
I have all their stuff, and I actually in the beginning even enjoyed those songs you mentioned earlier but overall all their stuff just feels a bit blunt and plain to me. I get the same feeling while listening to their stuff that I get when listening to Tool. Another band which I've failed to enjoy. But I shall try the way you suggested bro.

lostpilot

Well.. you know I'll say that Lateralus by TOOL is a masterpiece, right? ;)

An bád dubh

I agree man. TOOL has many great pieces but I just always seem to go for the bands that remind me a lot of TOOL and end up enjoying them much more than I actually enjoy TOOL. Maybe that is the reason why I cant enjoy TOOL, many otehr bands just do the same thing but in a much more diverse way.

And on a side note, I am sure that I will get into Oceansize some day, they have a lot of things going on that I enjoy, but as I overall can enjoy just a few Post rock albums as of now, I just need to wait for the right time guess. And oh, now that I actually realised how Post rock'ish Oceansize actually is, I have lots of stuff that's similar hehe.

An bád dubh

Something similar to Oceansize:

Aereogramme - My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go
http://rapidshare.com/files/14089292/Aereogramme_-_My_Heart_Has_A_Wish_That_You_Would_Not_Go.rar

As of now I enjoy this band more than Oceansize, even though they have many similarities. Maybe Aereogramme is a bit more accessible in a way. Being accessible is not always a good thing though, many albums or artists which are very accessible from the beginnign usually just end up being not listened to very often. The ones that take time to start enjoying are usually the opposite, they're the one that you dig up over and over again when you finally start enjoying them.

lostpilot

eh.. well, my ex-girlfriend always told me to listen to this one, and I never did.. I will download, though I cannot grant you I'll like it. Just cause I know my ex likes it very very much. Exactly this album. Ghhr.

Anyways, yes, I like how Oceansize have some post-rock "mentions" in their music.. songs like Women Who Like Men Who Like Drugs.. purely post-rock'ish I'd say. even though post-rock as a label is highly misused today. Only by the original definition (of 'Hex' by Bark Psychosis) can really give the understanding what post-rock is. Generally it's using rock for non-rock purposes if you may say. This means, deconstructing the typical rock tradition and reconstructing it in a different, more complex manner. For example - the first elements of post-rock and this transformation contained the lenght of songs (breaking the laws of typical 3-4 minute song) and the structure of the songs (no verse-chorus-verse-chorus-breakdown type of songs). Therefore even going by these first elements many bands that claim to be 'post-rock' are not really that 'post-rock'. People feel that 'post-rock' tag is much more attractive, interesting and makes you more 'unique' and 'authentic' than 'instrumental indie'.

Me and my friends, that play in a band usually discuss the genre we're playing. By most of the rules we actually fall into category of 'post-rock', but then to compare we have a side project, which is purely indie instrumental - while the other popular 'post-rock' bands self-tag it as 'post-rock'.

So in response to Oceansize being post-rockish, yeah, I have to definitely agree with this - just look at songs like 'Massive Bereavement' or 'Music for a Nurse' or 'Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs'. Definitely overlapping themes etc so post-rock. But it's just one of the many genre elements in their music. generally I think they should be tagged as 'new age/progressive'.

Anyway, enough of me talking stuff, lol

theis

i'm almost positive that you'll enjoy that Aereogramme album, man. it's beautiful.

An bád dubh

Lostpilot, I like your trail of thought. You are wise in music. Maybe in real life too hehe.

So you and your friends have a band? Damn son, I'm so jealous. I play the guitar myself and would love to some day be in a band. The problem is that none of my friends play any instruments. There is only one French guy who I used to hand around with in The Netherlands while I was there and play the guitar until late morning. But damn, no one to play with here in the dark and cold country of Finland. All the great songs in my mind go to waste as I cant make the songs sound like I imagine them in my head with just the guitar. Well, maybe some day I shall be able to create some beautiful music myself as well, and not just listen to it hehe.

But yeah, as far as Post rock goes, the tag has always had a sort of an aversive influence on me. The first bands I listened to back in the days which were said to be Post rock bored the shit out of me and I still propabbly suffer a bit from my first encounters with the genre. Now I see though that there is more inside this genre, and I'll probably dig into it a little more when I have the time.

Heh, and you dont need to like Aereogramme. There's a fine line between bands that sound similar to each other. One band sounds brilliant while the other one sounds like everything you've heard before. Thats why we ask for recommendations and try lots of bands to see if we like them. I hope you like it though.