Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Great Unknown Bands -thread

Started by An bád dubh, Mar 19, 2009, 08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostpilot

I will probably listen to it on tonight's evening.. evenings are best to discover new music.

For the band stuff.. well, you would not believe how we formed. I always was the person playing with guitar, writing songs, experimenting etc, but noone around me shared this interest in creating music, therefore I was alone for quite while. Until I came across the fact, that one of my friends, Lauras, secretly composes songs as well. So we got together and at the first time we had such nice time! Song creation was like - I come with my idea, he reproduces it in a totally different way and we're both in awe what a good song came out of it. So we composed songs for about a year, when we just randomly met my acquaintance who plays saxophone/cello. And we just said - so yeah, we're composing some music, she said she's interested, and then we just.. well, got together.

Then the bassist and drummer.. they were acquaintainces of Lauras, in the beginning we just needed one person to play what we tell him to play (on bass), so we offered one of them a possibility of playing with us. but generally just playing what was already written. And after some time we just became friends with the guy, who was friends with the current bassist, and we all just.. sort of got together. And now we're having amazingly good time in our studio/rehearsal room, playing quite many shows (3-4 per month), people are interested in us. We always provide visual aids in the show, cropped legal video samples whatever, mostly with some nature or something, and usually of a nice vintage quality. Then our other friend, who is a modern dance dancer just.. well, popped into our performance through and idea of mixing music and modern dance. So here we are, a five person full band (god I still cannot believe I managed to form a FULL band) presenting their sonic experiments (we have material for two albums now.. recording in winter I guess) mixed with visuals and modern dance.

God. I love my life these days ;)

And I guess I am in the mood of writing today. An bád dubh, one rule - never give up. Right people will come, in time :)

An bád dubh

Great story man! Gives me hope bro. Oh, and I'm planning to move to Sweden for 2 years after the summer, I have high hopes of finding some people there who will help me finish my story of finding bandmates as well  8)

Crazylegs

I found out about this french band called Demians through last.fm yesterday. This is what Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree and Blackfield had to say about their debut release:

"One of the most assured and accomplished debut albums I've ever heard, the textures and dynamics within the music are breathtaking. A must for everyone that appreciates the art of epic and ambitious 21st century rock music"

I'm really enjoying this album after a few listens. I would highly recommend it to anyone into bands like porcupine tree, oceansize, opeth and the like.

torrent download of "Building an Empire"

this is the song Sapphire. PLEASE IGNORE THE FAGGY ANIME SCREENSHOT
[youtube=425,350]6s2ZiHEXqXs[/youtube]

lostpilot

I'm interested, those-legs-are-crazy.
I hope they don't have that overproducedly light quality of Porcupine Tree I can't stand :)

Crazylegs

That's actually one of the minuses i think. A little too overproduced, and a little too orchestral for me at times. But there's some great riffs and melodies going on in there.

defTHE1s

Quote from: Crazylegs on Apr 28, 2009, 01:55 PM
I found out about this french band called Demians through last.fm yesterday. This is what Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree and Blackfield had to say about their debut release:

"One of the most assured and accomplished debut albums I've ever heard, the textures and dynamics within the music are breathtaking. A must for everyone that appreciates the art of epic and ambitious 21st century rock music"

I'm really enjoying this album after a few listens. I would highly recommend it to anyone into bands like porcupine tree, oceansize, opeth and the like.

torrent download of "Building an Empire"

this is the song Sapphire. PLEASE IGNORE THE FAGGY ANIME SCREENSHOT
[youtube=425,350]6s2ZiHEXqXs[/youtube]

I have the impression that i've listened to this song before..

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

wither-I

Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 25, 2009, 09:45 AM
Something similar to Oceansize:

Aereogramme - My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go
http://rapidshare.com/files/14089292/Aereogramme_-_My_Heart_Has_A_Wish_That_You_Would_Not_Go.rar

As of now I enjoy this band more than Oceansize, even though they have many similarities. Maybe Aereogramme is a bit more accessible in a way. Being accessible is not always a good thing though, many albums or artists which are very accessible from the beginnign usually just end up being not listened to very often. The ones that take time to start enjoying are usually the opposite, they're the one that you dig up over and over again when you finally start enjoying them.

aereogramme is simply amazing they defined a period of my life.
i do agree with you as well on oceansize. when i listen to it, it osunds like something I "should" like, but i just cant get into it that much...effloresce is good and have enjoyed it in the past, but not much of a lasting record in time with me...

i have a recommendation, some of you may have heard of already. they are a band that hails jackson/oxford mississippi, and beig regional they have much dark and bluesy feel to their music.

i would describe them as just that, Bluesy, dark, progressive  rock. very gritty and real sounding, and angelic all the same.
both the Ep and album are very good. the album is actually my pick for 2008's best. with the EP being heavier than the LP.

*Colour Revolt;

"self titled" EP (2005)
http://www.mediafire.com/?dzn2mtzzyoh

"Plunder, beg, and curse" LP (2008)
http://www.mediafire.com/?nunznzx3dnd

"coming into the nearness of distance"

ben

Without a doubt, Crystal Antlers.

www.myspace.com/crystalantlers   

Listen to "Parting Song For The Torn Sky" and I'm sure you'll fall in love.

a lot of people will say they sound a lot like The Mars Volta, but I think that's not really fair.  Here is their EP:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2ekocyz6t2t

wither-I

^^^yeah crystal antlers are awesome indeed. have you listened to colour revolt before?? i think you would like them.

ben

yea, I actually just saw Colour Revolt a couple of months ago and that's a pretty good comparison.  Glad to know there are some CA fans on here.

wither-I

hell yeah. theyve been making a name for themselves, getting signed and booking big venues. i think there is much crystal love.

by the way, who is the girl in your sig, she's beautiful

ben

lostpilot

Quote from: ben on Apr 30, 2009, 12:49 AM
Without a doubt, Crystal Antlers.

www.myspace.com/crystalantlers   

Listen to "Parting Song For The Torn Sky" and I'm sure you'll fall in love.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am promoting this band where possible.
cause first of all I just fell in love with the EP and particularly "Parting Song For The Torn Sky" which is.. well, you know. and then Tentacles came out, and still it was quite good! Especially "Several Tongues" which is a last song again

wither-I

^^ you should try out colour revolt!! do it...

lostpilot

first two songs did not impress me much :)

defTHE1s

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

An bád dubh

Just to get up to date with this thread, I checked some of Fireal1222's suggestions. Well, first of all the 2 albums that I already had but had also forgotten, albums by Division Day and Bedroom Heroes were great. They both are awesome in their own way.

Checked out A Northern Chorus and A Whisper In the Noise as well. Both had their moments and I will return to both some day to give them another try, but at the same time both of them draggeg on a bit and simply bored me. The album by A Whisper In The Noise got better towards the end of the album. Otherwise the albums didn't really do much for me. I'll keep them though, they'll get another chance.

I still need to check out bohren & der club of gore as well as laura which you posted also.

Checked out some time ago also Shun - Michael in Reign EP posted by Jani. This was cool. An emotional album with a lot of substance.

theis

anyone got something similar to Minus the Bear?

An bád dubh

I used to have something by them a long long time ago but I didn't enjoy them at all back then. Well, the years have gone by, could you suggest an album by them?

theis

Menos el Oso.

that's my favorite album at least. got such a nice summer vibe to it.