Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Joaquin Phoenix...??

Started by Jizzlobber, Mar 26, 2009, 07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jizzlobber

Hard to say if this is a music topic or a film topic. so ill put it in chit chat

Okay so Joaquin...does anyone think that he might be suffering a midlife psychosis, and this whole "mocumentary" thing is just his management and agent people trying to cover it up?

i only think like this coz i was reading about a type of psychosis thats people get where they totally forget what presentable appearance is, they forget their life routine's (i.e shaving, disheveled appearance) and at the same time create a dillusional image of themselves( a rapper?)...cant engage a fluent conversation..all these things that Joaquin Phoenix exibits are actual real psychologic signs of a clinical psychosis..

BUT, at the same time, there is Casey Affleck filming him, according to him he is merley filming his transition from film to music, he claimed there is no "mocking" about this documentary, and that he is serious...

Its very bizarre, unless anyone has an inside scoop, i find it hard to think it's some type of "Andy Kauffman-esque" practical joke...but if it IS..well done to the man, coz it sure is baffling.
<

pissedandpierced

I don't know about that but I did read that after his latest film he's never making a film again. I don't think much of his rapping and beard either.
"It's good to be classic, it kinda shows that we're old" - Chino Moreno, Kerrang! Awards 2007

Jizzlobber

yeah he claims to have quit acting..

Thing is i read the director of his latest film "two lovers" a one James Gray state that he was furious that JP was acting so bizarre on the press tours to promote the film...he claims its done nothing but hurt the film so far, so , with that in mind, its hard to think he is pulling some prank on people.

His rap music sound like Def Jam era, except crappy. I only watched the letterman interview he did like, a week ago, so its all fresh to me, and boy...he either lost his marbles or decided to throw them away without caring imo.
<

Jacob

there's a thread on this in the movies section I think.

anyways, if he had been diagnosed with some kind of "psychosis" or other mental instability, I highly doubt his agent among others would let him go on Letterman and do PR in general. this is a stunt, I'm pretty sure of it.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Jizzlobber

Ah, sorry bout that, my laziness prevented me from seeking out the thread really : p

But , as for being diagnosed..im not sure he has been diagnosed with anything yet,  if it isnt a joke, i wouldnt be so sure anyone knows whats going on in his head, i mean, it could be pretty hard to tell someone, 'hey man, look, we think you need to see someone, you've lost your marbles dude"..i think if anything has happened, its just been starting to happen to the surprise of everyone..

the psychosis stuff was just general to his current behaviour...OR, he's on some type of drugs. Maybe he is waking and baking every single day..

also if it IS a stunt, all this debate is pretty pointless. im just really curious to see what happens next with the guy. i dont know if i can see him succesfully repairing the effects this current phase of his life is having on his career. like where does he go from here if he turns around and says it was all a stunt? shave? shower? be all "normal" again..maybe

Found this article with Filmaker James Gray insightful

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article5975441.ece
<

Variable

I just really don't care.  If he is pulling a PR stunt, its totally working ( this topic is a great example that its working).  If he is not pulling a PR stunt and he really is bat shit crazy, oh well.  The dude is just out having fun either way.  He has, and is making, shit tons of money. So yeah if I see him on the news or a youtube video ill chuckle at his ridiculousness.  But thats about as far as I care about the whole thing.

devilinside

Quote from: Variable on Mar 26, 2009, 01:18 PM
I just really don't care.  If he is pulling a PR stunt, its totally working ( this topic is a great example that its working).  If he is not pulling a PR stunt and he really is bat shit crazy, oh well.  The dude is just out having fun either way.  He has, and is making, shit tons of money. So yeah if I see him on the news or a youtube video ill chuckle at his ridiculousness.  But thats about as far as I care about the whole thing.

Same here.I just don't want him to end up like his brother.

13hourstoparadise

Sorry, I'm too lazy to read much into this thread... I love the man, he is fucking amazing... Walk the Line was perfect...

Variable

Quote from: devilinside on Mar 26, 2009, 01:52 PM

Same here.I just don't want him to end up like his brother.
What happened to his brother?  I'm totally out of the tabloid news and shit.  I don't even know who his brother is.  But I did hear that they were like molested as children and shit.

devilinside

Variable

yeah wow.  I had no idea about any of that. How is it that this whole dam family seems to be actors?  And you cant really make fun of me for not knowing about this.  I was like in 2nd or 3rd grade when this kid died.

Jacob

Quote from: Variable on Mar 27, 2009, 04:29 AM
yeah wow.  I had no idea about any of that. How is it that this whole dam family seems to be actors?  And you cant really make fun of me for not knowing about this.  I was like in 2nd or 3rd grade when this kid died.

no really, it's just one of those things you should know.

have you been living out in a desert or something? ;)
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Variable

yeah deserts, mountains, tropical islands.  I do em all.  But I totally recognized him as the kid from Indiana Jones as soon as I saw his pic.  Other than that, I don't think I have seen any of his movies. Really sad story though, I read through that whole article about how he died with his siblings there.  Pretty intense.

goldpony

Quote from: Variable on Mar 27, 2009, 04:53 PM
yeah deserts, mountains, tropical islands.  I do em all.  But I totally recognized him as the kid from Indiana Jones as soon as I saw his pic.  Other than that, I don't think I have seen any of his movies. Really sad story though, I read through that whole article about how he died with his siblings there.  Pretty intense.

you mean you never saw Stand by Me? are you sure you're an american male who grew up in the 80's?
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

devilinside

My son saw it for the first time this year and loved it. Hell.....I love it. <3 Kiefer 

13hourstoparadise

River played one cool fucking character in the movie 'sneakers'... One of my all-time favorites - I recommend watching it.

Jizzlobber

Fair enough, i sort of feel the same, but, im just curious about the whole thing. obviously his mental state really doesnt effect me in any  way , but, i feel this weird sense of "iconism" developing with him. this whole thing is turning him from a celebrity actor into a troubled genius type thing..

and for sure he is making fat tons of big money, maybe that gives him more incentive to not give a fuck..i know if i was as rich as him, i probably wouldnt give a fuck either
<

Variable

Quote from: goldpony on Mar 27, 2009, 07:18 PM
Quote from: Variable on Mar 27, 2009, 04:53 PM

you mean you never saw Stand by Me? are you sure you're an american male who grew up in the 80's?
I was born in 86 bro.  I wouldn't really call that growing up in the 80s.  More of a 90s child

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Mar 27, 2009, 09:07 PM
River played one cool fucking character in the movie 'sneakers'... One of my all-time favorites - I recommend watching it.

great, underrated movie.  nobody's ever heard of it, and it has so many academy award winners in it too (robert redford, sidney poitier, ben kingsley).  a couple nominees too.

Variable

well that just made my list of the next movie I'm going to rent